Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

San Diego - Camp Pendleton Races
Quote | Reply
I just thought I'd post a quick note about the Camp Pendleton "Devil Dog Duathlon" on April 26th. I was thinking of doing this race for fun, so I went to their site and checked out their participant's list. It looks to me like participation this year is extremely light as compared to last year. I think this is primarily due to the fact that they are in the unfortunate position of being the weekend before Wildflower, and a few weeks after both the Cali 1/2 and Big Rock. (The 1/2 IM was earlier this year and landed on the weekend that this race was last year.)

Anyway, I'm think Camp Pendleton hosts some really fun and chill races. The base is very supportive of multisport, and I think we ought to do our best to return the favor. Hopefully this race will fill up. I think it would be a shame if it isn't well supported. Especially because the proceeds go to improve the quality of life for the CP Marines and their families. If you haven't been following the news, Camp Pendleton Marines have been in the thick of things overseas, this may be an opportunity to be supportive and have fun at the same time.

If you haven't done one of these races in the past, you should give it a go. They really are a good time. If you're doing Wildflower, just make it a good brick workout and get a t-shirt for it. (They're shirts are usually among my favorites.)

http://www.camppendletonraces.com/...amp;publicationID=11

Dave (Not affiliated with the USMC)
Quote Reply
Re: San Diego - Camp Pendleton Races [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you're right, the timing sucks this year for the duathlon. I did it last year and it wa a first class event, and for around here, a very good value for the entry fee. Since I am doing Wildflower, I am still undecided about whether or not I am doing the event this year, but that is also one of the great things about this race, the early cut off isn't until April 16th.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: San Diego - Camp Pendleton Races [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the Pendleton Oly race last year as the swimmer in a relay. I also rode the bike course at easy pace and did about half the run.

A first-class event. It's rather a bit of a surprise at the first few aid stops where fatigue-wearing Marines are saying, "Gatorade, Sir? Powerbar, Ma'am? Water, Sir?"

If you say, "Thanks," they say, "No problem, Sir!"

I'm taking the year pretty much off, but that's one I'm thinking of doing anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: San Diego - Camp Pendleton Races [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anyone ever done the camp pendleton international triathlon (olym dist.) i'm thinking of doing this race in july. i live in colorado, but i'll be in san diego for 5 days and the race is when i'm there so i might tri it. anyone? any feedback? advice?

luke
Quote Reply
Re: San Diego - Camp Pendleton Races [luke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it is a great race. they moved the swim last year to the boat basin which took away a little of the adventure. the previous two years the surf was pretty big, so it made for an exciting swim. the bike is a little challanging if it is windy, the run is flat and fast. overall it is a good race, as is all the Camp P races.

------------------------------------------------------------
"No one ever told me they made black fondant!" - Duff Goldman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a really fun race. But it's not like it's a big "event". It's a very well run race that is a lot of fun and there's just a really great vibe to the whole thing. I wouldn't travel specifically for the race, but since you're going to be in San Diego anyway, I'd definately do it. The value is hard to beat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Luke,

If you are in town it worth doing. As others have said it is a well run race and the price is right. Don't expect a big buffet and bands afterward but they have the best T-shirts. Being a crappy swimmer I like the swim in the boat basin instead of off the beach. Even though it's July you may still want to bring your wetsuit since the water never gets really warm here.
Quote Reply