Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

stomach problems
Quote | Reply
I am an experienced triathlete 15 years- IM, 1/2 (lots) and ya know the usual olys and sprints spread throughout the season - not to give you my resume but I wanted you to know that I was not a newbie
but I also want you to know that I don't know everything and I am always seeking out info to learn more

ok
I am just sick, literally, of my stomach problems in 1/2 IM's
I get such a distended stomach - which we all know slows us down on the run
yesterday in my last 1.2 for the year (thank God) I tried to just do cliff blocks and gatorade instead of the normal cheese PB crackers and cliff blocks, sometimes I do gu or ecaps - I eat and drink a combo of about 350-400 cals an hour on the bike - is that too much????

I also tried to eat throughout the ride instead of the looking down and discovering that I had not eaten in a while and cramming it in
I also take endurolytes or sports legs
I do practice during training sessions
I drink gatorade because it is easy and it is what most races have on their course - again thinking about my dang gut

at water stops I take a gulp of coke, water and maybe a gu and head out because again my gut is killing me and I dont want to eat anymore
I also always have to pee on the bike and run course and I do take the time to do it
so help me please
I am just tired of the whole gut bloat - it slows me down and LOL I am single and we all know our sport is not condusive to dating and then put a gut in the mix that looks 7 months prego LOL!!!
Thanks

http://www.trainerbecky.com
Quote Reply
Re: stomach problems [trichic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
could be the maltodextrin in many of the drinks and gus.

I have found that I can tolerate it in gu form but not drink form.....

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you are eating way too much on the bike if you can't process the food. You have a problem with gastric emptying and that can have several causes but one of the primary ones is not enough electrolytes. You may need more than Gatorade to help you with that. You mention you take in salt tabs but you might try throwing another one in there so you take one every half hour on a good weather day, more if it is hot.

Also, you eat a large variety of stuff out there. Keep it simple. I had stomach problems until I found Perpetuem and Accel gels. That's all I'll take in on the bike, regardless of distance. And, cheese and crackers? Yikes, that sounds horrible!

I can't drink Gatorade and I plan for that. It just doesn't sit well in my stomach. Combining it with Clif Blocks would make me throw-up. I've got the heebie jeebies just thinking about it. It isn't uncommon for Gatorade to be a problem for people either. If you look at other athletes out there you will see a majority of them carry their own nutrition and there is a reason for that.

My advice in a nutshell: Simplify your diet on the bike. Stay away from Gatorade. Keep your calories around 250/hour to start. Take an extra salt tab each hour.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second Jen opinion on the perpetuem. For my Im last weekend I used half perpetuem half infinit, for about 300 calories per bottle. I had 2 on the bike, 2 in special needs bike and four small bottles in a race belt with 300 cal in each. I topped up a little with bananas and water at aid stations, salted potatoes for the last half of the run (and more bananas). No stomach issues at all. As soon as I have used up the infinit I will go perpetuem only, as infinit uses whey protein instead of soy. (Vegan)

At the Osooyos half I was only going to do gels, gatorade and water but i could not even get down one gel. I ended up limping home having not consumed anything except water for 6 hours. Yuck.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: stomach problems [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks so much for all your feedback
I kinda thought I was taking in too many cals but I just get nervous about bonking

I detest the taste of perpetuem- I will try intervit and decrease my cals down to 250 per hour
and LOL I will simplify my cals instead of taking a buffet out on the bike course and eating a buffet on the run course LOL
again
thanks so much for all your feedback and ideas
I love this forum!!

Last edited by: trichic: Sep 21, 08 17:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that the run should be less calories per hour. I got 130 - 150. The jostling of the belly can make you really sick if you have anything left over in there.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: stomach problems [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
talk to a friend of mine that had similar probs that I have with my gut

she uses Carbo pro

anyone have any experience with this product?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My experience with Clif bars and shots was not a good one. They made me feel really ill - can't remember if I bloated up. I use Power Gels and Power bars now and rarely have stomach problems. I also drink Gatorade but only when it gets hot outside and the workouts are more than 1 hour. Maybe try some different gel/block products over the winter to experiment.

Hope that helps with all the other advice you received. Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've heard good things about Carbo Pro as well. Try both. You will only know if you experiment.

Jen

Quote Reply
Re: stomach problems [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used Carbo Pro and it worked well. I like that is has basically no taste. I mixed it with Gatorade Endurance to get some flavor.

I do think you're overdoing the calories. You don't mention your weight, but I'd think something closer to 200-300/hour would be better.

----
Suffering on the the bike is always more fun than suffering on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: stomach problems [ride 'em] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with the others - sounds like right now too many calories... I have a really hard time doing any kind of dairy on a ride.
However, mile 80 of an IM a twix bar sure tastes awesome.
I basically eat when I have the first inkling of a hunger pang - gel. If it is a stronger pang I do a power bar.
That got me through 2 IMs without bonking.... and I'm out there for a long time on those, BOP!
I have to drink a mix of water and gatorade though, about 50-50 or my stomach just gets icky on the gatorade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're a helluva lot more experienced than I am and I'm still working through the nutritional issues for my IM, and, not knowing what you weigh, calorie needs, etc., it's hard but I know with any dairy during a race, my system will revolt. I've also learned that peanut butter doesn't work for me. My coach recently told me some people can't digest the fat during a race and it causes tummy problems.

In my recent HIM, I stuck to a pretty strict schedule...a gel on the quarter hours during the bike with at least 3 big swigs of water and gatorade endurance on the half hours.

FWIW, normal gatorade IMHO is one of the worst things out there if you're an endurance athlete. It's just got WAY too much sugar in it. I can handle gatorade endurance b/c the formula is different but normal gatorade and I'm in trouble--which means, that could also be the issue with the coke?

Also, how much straight water are you taking in when you take in your gels/calories? You shouldn't be trying to down those at the same time as the sports drink, etc. from what I've been told--and am finding out on my own.

I weigh about 143 right now and I'm shooting for at least 300 cals/hour on the bike. Given my last race, I'm not sure that's enough for me. Everyone is different.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definitely do with out the coke. It is carbonated so after you drink it and bounce around the CO2 is released and expands your stomach. It may not be the main problem, but it is not helping your problem at all and most likely contributing to it in some way.

"Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings." -Dr. Cox
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love Carb pro!! I mix 2 scoops with diluted gatorade. Each bottle has about 300 cals maybe a little less.

I have recently started using one scoop of cytomax (90 cals w elytes) and 2 scoops of carb pro so about 315/bottle. So far so good!!

I have also used Ensure with great sucess during races almost 3 cans fit into on bottle about 750 cals. I freeze it so when I drink during a race it's slushy.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: stomach problems [PC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the info
I have ordered carbo pro
You are all right I was mixing too many foods during the bike and taking in too many cals for a 126 pounder

I just get physo about bonking but I was going to the extreme LOl
(sound familiar anyone)

so I will try carbo pro through running season then if it works out great continue it on thru 09 tri season and only drinking it on the bike taking in about 250 cals an hour - no more buffet out there LOL

Thanks again

Quote Reply