Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is it Possible?
Quote | Reply
To be ready to swim the 2.4 mile Ironman distance swim in 22 weeks? I’m considering an IM in just 22 weeks. I have a strong cycling background and I’m a decent runner, but as of today I can only swim about 300 yards non-stop. Am I dreaming or is it possible to be ready to FINISH an IM in this relatively short amont of time?

"Gravedigger, when you dig my grave could you make it shallow? So that I can feel the rain."
Quote Reply
Re: Is it Possible? [IronWannaBe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think so if you get lessons and only work on technique.

LESSONS, LESSONS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You go for it! A few years back, I could not swim freestyle for more than 100 yards non-stop - even though I was a fair breaststroke swimmer - when I decided it was time to learn the proper freestyle technique. It was tough on the beginning not to revert to breaststroke when I felt tired, but I stuck to it and slowly saw the benefits. After 4 months I could swim 3 miles in 90 minutes. I believe your goal is realistic. You will have to spend plenty of quality time in the pool. As Andrew says, make sure you are supervised by a competent teacher.

-
[pink]I don’t use pink font[/pink]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a 1/2 ironman a few years ago and could not swim 100 meters without stopping. I just put on the old wetsuit and did a lot of backstroke. 300 yards rest 300yards rest 13 times should get it.
I would go to the total imersion method of doing sets of 100. You can find it on their web site. you start off with 10x100 and about 15 weeks later you do 40x 100
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should have no problem learning how to swim this distance. You should be able to learn to do this in about three months, if you hit the pool at least three times a week. I would strongly suggest taking a Total Immersion Course. Then it is a piece of cake.

If you are a fit athlete and work on technique properly, no reason to think that swimming would even be your weakest event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the others that you can definately do it. I would highly recommend taking a TI workshop if you can. In Oct 02, I couldn't do more than a couple lengths of very sloppy freestyle without stopping. I took the TI workshop and have practiced religiously ever since and I'm getting ready to go into my first IM in June. I may not be fast, but I can cover the distance and I'm sure you'll be able to also.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely. You can do it. That is not that outrageous of a goal. Realistically, I bet you could get through the swim on as little as eight weeks training. It might not be pretty, but you could make it. I did exactly 1 swim workout before Ironman Canada 1999- not one more than that all year. If you work on your swim for 22 weeks you'll beat me out of the water. I have never been a great swimmer (probably since I don't train at it)and haven't enjoyed it. I did just get a new T1 wetsuit so I am going to the poool to try it tomorrow. I swear, this year I will learn to swim. Then again, I could just work on my run some more...

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply