Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wildflower Training Weekend
Quote | Reply
So my training buddy and I headed out to Lake San Antonio last weekend to run and ride the course - we threw in a swim for good measure. Both of us are Wildflower rookies, so we really didn't know what to expect.

There are a few observations that I would like to share with the other WF rookies that are out there.

1) This is a very challenging bike course. I live in a hilly area, and train on them all the time, and this is up there with the toughest training rides I have done. The hills from mile 42 will try to suck the life out of you. Eat well, stay fresh, and spin. I felt sorry for the guy on the Cervelo with the 23 in the rear we passed - he was in a world of hurt.

2) Pray for calm weather. There was some serious wind out there yesterday - from the minute we left the park until Jolon road (mile 20) we were riding in to a very stiff headwind. The ride on Jolon had some cross wind for a while, which eventually turned in to a tailwind - free speed - but we lost that once we turned back toward the lake. Nasty Grade was pretty calm, but riding every hill after that, we were climbing in to a headwind until we made it back to the park.

3) The roads are in pretty bad shape - like a washboard in some parts (Jolon and inside the park). I used an Aerodrink and pretty much bathed myself in accelerade. Watch for pot holes.

4) The run course has some pretty long hills on it. If you are use to trail or fire road running you should be fine,

5) Wind and water do not mix. There were whitecaps out there, made for an interesting swim - much bigger waves than in my pool...

6) It gets damn cold at night. Be prepared. Bring firewood.

In all, I think I am prepared, but if the wind on race day is anything like it was yesterday, my time goal is out the window.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Training Weekend [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great color on the Wildflower training this weekend. Thanks, JohnA. That's very helpful for us East coast Wildflower rookies. ;-)

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am only in my third year doing WF, so not much more experience than you. It's so great to get to go there and train, especially when race weekend rolls around and there are 20,000 people all over the place. It will be almost unrecognizable from the weekend you just had. One thing I can add from my previous two years, is that the nighttime temperatures the first weekend in May can be much, much warmer. We didn't need evening fires the last two years. I heard three years ago it rained on race day, or maybe it was 4 years ago. Also, race days the last two years have not been particularly windy, especially not first thing in the morning, so the water was calm. I can't speak of the wind on the long bike course though, since I'm an Oly person. Good luck! I'll be in the campground at mile 8 cheering for you long course guys on Saturday.
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Training Weekend [Jacquie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weather is in the eye of the beholder. I was FREEZING last year at night.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Training Weekend [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll second that about the night time temps last year. I was freezing also.

Jacquie, you're going to be at the mile 8 aid station? Isn't that the topless aid station?

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Training Weekend [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, that would be mile 4...and it is MORE than just topless :)

Haim

-------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes you need to think INSIDE the box!" -- ME
"Why squirrel hate me?"
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Training Weekend [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Um, no. I leave that to the Cal Poly kids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update JohnA. Though I've been to WF a few times, I'm going with a large group of WF rookies. I'll be sure to print your message and pass along to the group.

-gc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much John for your report. I take it a 23 just won't do it on raceday then. Time to pull out the 27 most likely.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Last edited by: Styk33: Apr 8, 03 12:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm heading down to WF this weekend. I'll take the lakes water temp and then go shoot some pics of the hills on the bike and run courses. I will post a link to the pics on Monday just to give you guys an idea of what to expect.

eric

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Training Weekend [eric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that sounds great, eric. Can't wait to see the shots.

Thanks!

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Training Weekend [eric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be great Eric.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower Training Weekend [Styk33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just looking at the hill profile of Nasty Grade, it seems by the diagram that in the middle it might be as much as a 12% grade. Can anyone comfirm this?

Ross Hoopingarner
Quote Reply