Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My longest Sprint
Quote | Reply
1:53:42 (300yd. pool / 20k / 5k)

But my proudest, I just came back from Wilmington NC's Azalea sprint with a very tired crew. My 11 yr. old daughter completed her first pool sprint tri. We raced it together (not relay, mind you) and I am bursting with pride.

She is not on a swim team, and really is not into running, but she wondered if she could do a "whole" triathalon; she did one kids format last summer. So she trained, though sometimes not easy to get out and off the couch, she got some time in.

The run was tough, and we walked frequently, however, I told her to really enjoy the last 1/4 and savor the moment she came down the chute. She ran into the finish area and got cheers from the crowd.

On our drive back home she slept most of the way, but she told me that she wanted to do another one. (that makes 3 triathletes in the family)

Thanks to the well wishers, and apologies for the sappy brag; couldn't help myself.

Henk (** a very proud dad**)

Alex Jonker
Quote Reply
Re: My longest Sprint [Henk J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations to her and to you as the proud pop. I was there cheering her. My 8 year old did Cary last year (too bad it is canceled this year) and is doing St. Anthony's at the end of the month. We are both looking forward to it.
Quote Reply
happy for me too [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You being the proud father, I'll be the proud son, brother and boyfriend. My dad does one race a year and this is it. He's not much of a swimmer and gets pretty freaked out during the swim, even when he can stand anywhere in the pool. In any event, he raced well and was able to take third in his age group (50-54). He's a runner, so I'm sure he had a good split.

My brother did his first triathlon in the 16-19 age group. He's a freshman at UNC-W, so he just had to roll out of bed and race. In his first go at the sport, he took second in his age group and seemed pretty happy. I think it will be a while, maybe a full year, before he does another one, but at least he was out there doing something that I love. Now I need to hit the dance clubs to do something he loves.

My girlfriend also raced and the highlight of her race was puking as she crossed the finish line. Some one let it fly in front of her and I think that's what set her off. In any event, that was pretty exciting for all of us.

Finally, my dad's new wife, my new step-mom, raced. It was neat to have so many family (and maybe future family) members in the race. One day I hope to be the proud father and have my son or daughter do their first triathlon, but right now I'll settle being the happy son/brother/boyfriend.

Adam
Quote Reply
Re: My longest Sprint [Henk J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what a cool thing, Henk! Very cool. I'll bet it was a just a blast.
Quote Reply