Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mountain vs road bike question
Quote | Reply
So a girl friend got me out on a mountain bike ride in our local canyon while the youngest was in Kindergarten. Had a ball and loved it but wondered how do the miles on a mountain bike correlate to a road bike? If I did 15 on the mountain what is that on a road? Any idea?

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: Mountain vs road bike question [COTrimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I correlate the difference between Rd & Mt more in terms of "time" (along with exertion level and output during that time). For example: When I'm in shape I know I can average about 19-20mph an hour on the Rd. If I do a 10 mile hard Mt. Bike Course and it takes me an hour (that happens to be 10 miles long) it would be equivalent (at least to me) as doing a 19-20 mile ride that took me an hour on the road.

I hope that makes sense. I have a wicked head cold and I feel fuzzy and unclear.

:)

Quote | Reply
Hey hope you feel better- its no fun to be down and out. Thanks for that- so it is a bit more difficult on the MB- I felt my rear and quads so much more. Get well

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: Mountain vs road bike question [COTrimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not trying to sound like a PM geek but if you had a powermeter on both bikes you could compare the TSS of each ride.
Sans powermeter, I think a mtb ride has alot more power spikes/near anaerobic moments than a steady road ride. The places I ride mtb has alot of ups and downs--not much steady flat riding so I would think it would be similiar to a road ride with intervals or hill repeats. I agree with the leslieW in that the time spent at a certain HR for each would be the equivalent mileage. Hope that makes sense. I don't have a cold so no excuse for being unclear ;)
Quote Reply