Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Coping with heat
Quote | Reply
OK, I used to be Ok at dealing with the heat, but nowadays, I get the super sausage fingers/feet and overheat very easily. I think it is due to the synthroid (pretty sure actually). I mean I never get cold hands and feet anymore. Aside from the usual (keep hydrated, eat more fruits & veggies, run at 5am when it's cooler lol), any other tips you have to share? I have an OLY race this weekend and it should be 35degC - ugh!

Thanks!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Coping with heat [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me, keeping my head wet at all times helps a ton.

Quote | Reply
  • I sweat A LOT, so getting my electrolytes in is number one. Infinit does the trick for me. Anything over an hour and I make sure I have it along. I also make sure I have it beforehand if I'm doing a really long workout or I'm racing.
  • As already said, keeping my head wet helps. I usually wear a running hat, so I just keep it wet. I have to try a visor to see if the open top will help cool me down more.
  • It's amazing what happens when you start telling yourself you can't handle the heat. Attitude is so important. I used to avoid heat at all costs. Now, I just suck it up and continue on, albeit a bit more slowly. The only time I really have problems is on long hills when running. I try to run up the whole thing, but sometimes my HR goes through the roof. In that case, I let myself walk the top third of the hill and then I'm back on it again.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Andypants. It was hard to come back to the South Texas heat after the splendid Canadian weather. I always take a salt tab every hour I'm running or cycling when it's over 90 degrees. This may sound really weird, but when I'm running and it's blazing hot, I like to hold a little bit of water in my mouth for awhile. My friends think this is odd, but it makes me feel cooler or at least gives me the illusion of coolness. I actually think you should try to do some runs at noon so your body will be more acclimated to higher temps. (Easier said than done, I know.)
Good luck on your race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been told multiple times that to cool yourself off put water on the back of your neck, in your sports bra and in your cap. I find the back of my neck is hugely helpful. If you know the race is going to be brutal think about having a cold, wet bandana in your transition area and put around your neck on the run. Feels great. This is how I survived running in Death Valley and you see all the runners doing it to keep cool. Of course, the usual salt tabs and cold water.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Coping with heat [diva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I am running mostly at lunch or at 4pm these days, but some times I am really bad in the heat. I have a bottle of salt tabs at home, I'll have to actually open it! ;-)

The holding water in your mouth is interesting.... I do that in order to make sure I don't swallow a bunch of air when drinking (then I end up burping a lot). I think you're right that some times it's the illusion of coolness.

Glad to hear you made it home safely.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on Synthroid (and cytomel) too since I no longer have a thryoid and ever since I just absolutely wilt in the heat. My doc said that it's possible that our bodies just aren't able to cool ourselves (or heat ourselves) as efficiently as they used to.

For warm weather races I try to grab a bag of ice or wet sponge and stick it down my job bra and change it out every aid station. It may make for interesting race pics but having something cold/cool right up against my chest helps keep me cool on the run. For the bike I'll try to use my water bottle from time to time to throw a little water on me but the heat on the bike doesn't bother me nearly as much as the heat on the run.

Good Luck!

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run with a fuel belt and use one of the containers just for pouring water on my head and face while running. I also drink at least every half mile and alternate between water and an electrolyte drink. From hiking in Grand Canyon- a wet towel or cloth under your hat and starting out with a cool wet t-shirt help out a lot in the heat.
Quote Reply