Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Pill and Performance [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in my twenties, have been on the pill since I was 18. I never had any drop in performance, I only got faster (but also older, and trained more) after taking it. I took it because despite a high calorie diet (3000+ per day, and then I was only doing a couple of miles running a day), I could not keep weight on and my doctor surmised that my low weight was why I only had my period once every 3 mos (I know its more complicated than that, but the pills definitely evened things out). Also took it for birth control, and continue to use it for this purpose. I do have asthma, but I never tracked it to see where it fell in my cycle, it seems to have more to do with allergies. I would not rule out entirely that the asthma appeared with the pills. I've have gained weight since going on the pill, but it didn't happen until 3 years on it, and I do continue to be a huge eater so it could just be my metabolism slowing down. One last thing; I have not had a single stress fracture since I went on the pill, and this had previously been an issue for me. I don't think everyone would have a negative experience with synthetic hormones (and I systematically refuse pretty much all medications on the principle that our bodies know what is best for us), sometimes women are slightly out of whack and benefit from boosts in certain areas.
Quote Reply
Re: The Pill and Performance [trichic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based on this thread it is sounding like women who have been on it an extending amount of time or are "older" (I hate saying that because I"m 40) are having a hard time with it.

A really great research topic.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: The Pill and Performance [TriToy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i take the progestin only pill, jolivette. I am worried about side affects that will affect my running and the fact that it is not suppose to be as reliable. I have taken lo estrin fe and I gained weight with it and did not like it. I was on Depo before which i had no real side effects with but my bone density is low so they thought the depo could be the reason. My gyno told me that my body does not react well to estrogin most likely and that is why i had no problems with depo but did with the loestrin.
What are the side affects of a progestin only pill you were talking about earlier? I also have been having my cycle very often I will only be off for 8 - 10 days at a time and then have it again sometimes it only last 3 days sometimes 7 and I have had some trouble breathing the last few months on my runs, even when i have been in really good shape. I have been on jolivette for 2 years now though so i am not sure if that would be the problem.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: The Pill and Performance [mitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
progestin only pills are similar to depo provera so I would be concerned for the long haul - I might be inclined to check your estrogen levels and bone density....

As to the discussion re age and the pill.....I am 46 and on nuvaring - and I LOVE it. I use it continuously when I get enough break through bleeding I take it out for about 5 days. Whilst I have not tried being off of it to see if my performance would improve, I know that the average level of estrogen in my body is lower than a natural cycle - yet getting the continuous feed keeps me from bottoming out....I still feel some variation but not the huge swings.

I also think supplementing with b vitamins (and a multi for that matter) is CRUCIAL especially when on the pill. You don't necessarily need it every day but those who are struggling I would do one month of daily and then back off. I don't care how good your diet is, our soils are not what they used to be....even if you ONLY eat organic....

there are ways to increase/stabilize your estrogen levels without hormones (Jen) but that needs indivuation.

Hope that helps.

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply

Prev Next