Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM training and weight loss
Quote | Reply
So a while back we had the IM training and weight gain thread but this one is a little different. I have been training consistently for IMWI for what seems like forever now. During this time, I have been logging my food using calorieking and eating about 500 calories less per day than I am burning by living and exercising (except on the super big volume days) which has resulted in the loss of about 12 lbs since April or so. Up until the last 2 weeks, I have felt great with this plan. However, as I am pushing through the last few big volume weeks before taper, I am finding myself really tired and hungry all the time. If I eat a bit more than "recommended" by calorieking, I am not reaching my 500 calorie deficit per day but I am not as tired and my workouts are better. The weight has pretty much been steady.

So for those of you who lost weight during IM training by tracking calories, did you continue to have a 500 calorie deficit per day during those big volume weeks? I am about 2 lbs from goal weight and would love to get there before the race but not if it means having bad workouts. I guess I answered my own question by writing this out but I am still interested in how others felt.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: IM training and weight loss [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have given up on the calorie deficit and worrying about my goal weight. It's not worth it at this point just to get a little weight off. Training will suffer in the long run and we don't need that!

Quote | Reply
Worry more about quality of workouts during the big push. You need the food to fuel yourself and trying to lost weight during 15+ hour weeks is going to make you sick. You might need to accept the 2lbs or shoot for dropping them during taper.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: IM training and weight loss [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jen is right,

When i got that close to my race weight I was happy and concentrated on the workouts. And then during the taper made sure I ate right and looked at the calories, it was easy to drop a few more pounds then.
Quote Reply
Re: IM training and weight loss [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe try to focus on eating good fats more often--ie. peanut butter, nuts, avocado, etc. to keep up your energy. I eat either a full or 1/2 of a peanut butter and banana sandwhich after my workouts and it's really helped me feel more energetic. I also eat about 1/2 an avocado with lunch and my afternoon energy is much better too.

I agree with what the other ladies have said, if you're hungry--eat, but eat the right foods.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't lost a single pound. Not one. BUT, my clothes are falling off my waist. Sooo...things have just, uh, redistributed. I've given up weighing myself and just go by feel, how I look, and how clothes fit.

Now, if I could just start eating better overall again......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gained about 19 pounds post-accident last fall, going from 190 or so to a high of 209 in January. I'm down 23-25 pounds since then, and even though my weight has stabilized in the mid-180s, it's still redistributing - since it's summer I'm now wearing shorts with a 28 or 29 inch waist (down from 32), a size I have not been in since high school some 30+ years ago. I did weight watchers for a while this winter which got me to pay attention to what I eat a bit more and got me back to my better eating habits. I had a tendency to overeat post-exercise, under the belief that since I did a multi-hour ride I could eat as much as I want, which doesn't quite work if you focus on calorie-dense foods.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spoke with Monique Ryan, who is a very respected nutritionist when I was training & trying to lose weight. Her advice was 1) to lose weight in the off-season and pre-season, not at the height of training; 2) don't skimp on recovery calories that you take in within the first hour of a workout; if you wish to reduce calories do it after that time period.

I would suggest you take a break from the dieting.

----
Suffering on the the bike is always more fun than suffering on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratz for losing the weight!...I can only imagine how much faster you are going with 12lbs less going up the hills on the IMW bike course...

I did not lose a lb during my training for 2 IM's so I know it takes self discipline to limit your calories and train tough at the same time....

my advice: You are within 2 lbs of goal weight...be good with that...close enough!...and up your calories to maintian weight IF you feel better and your workouts go well....

Do be careful with the calorie intake during your taper....its easy to put some weight back on and feel sluggish because you are not burning as much...but from your discription you have already demonstrated significant self control....

good luck at IMW...I did the first one in 2002 and its an awesome race!....
Quote Reply
Re: IM training and weight loss [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! And Thanks to everyone for your advice. I am going to start focusing on eating healthy through these last big training weeks and then try to have some self control during taper to possible drop those last few pounds or at least no gain weight.

While I haven't notice an improvement in my bike riding, I have notice a ton of improvement in my running since dropping the weight. My easy pace takes me much further these days.
Quote Reply