Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 7/28/08
Quote | Reply
Here we go again. How'd you do last week with your training and advancing towards your goals? Tell us the good and the bad. Then tell us what you're going to do next week to make things better.

Me first:
  • I had a pretty good week, especially compared to the week before. Got 4 out of my 5 runs in and a good long bike ride.
  • Down 1 lb from the week before.

This week:
  • My one and only goal this week: run, run, run. My goal is to get 5 runs in every week. Haven't been too good about that, so I'm going to try hard to get that done this week.

Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 7/28/08 [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last weeK

Keep weight in the 172 range by not overeating...

B....stayed in range and did pretty well here...the beer yesterday wont help but I should be good in a day or two.....

Put on a great Practice Urban Adventure Race for my friends...

A-...A for effort, everyone seemed to have a good time, I would do a couple of things differently in course design, I wished we would have had a few more people...hoping for around 30 but ended up with 20 or so due to last minute drops...
Help put on the Sprint Orienteering event and run the course for speed work...

Swim twice...intervals to prepare myself for my last Sprint Triathlon of the year...

A...went twice even when I was tempted not to go the 2nd time. good solid interval workouts to set my swim up for my last swim tri for the year.....

Do something special for my wife...

A....

I always try to get in 7 hours of training a week and this week despite putting on the Adventure Race I got in 7:07...very nice...

This week:
  • keep weight under 173 lbs..wigh daily, more days under than over...
  • Swim once before tri...limited speed intervals to set me up for race day...
  • Beat last years bike and run time in my Sprint Tri...place better in the swim (I never compare swim times in tri's due to the variability in setting swim courses year to year)..beat last years time overall (factoring in swim length variability), beat last years overall placement in the field....
  • average 165 HR avg in triathlon...keep effort up...leave it on the course....
  • Get in 7 hours of training
  • Get Orienteering course finalized in Duluth
  • do something special for my wife

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last Week- July 21-27

1) Work on attitude. Had some issues w/ body sizing and ability at the club ride on Thursday. Everyone there has stick leg/arms and no fat. I.Do.Not. Got me some belly fat, big (muscular) legs and felt huge compared to everyone else. It stuck w/ my for my crappy ride and into the next day. It really bothered me and it shouldn't but your mind is strong when it gets stuck on an issue!

Grade: A - Since it rained both club nights, I didn't have to worry about the stick people.
I did worry about a long ride w/ someone faster then me but it was more the 'I hope I don't go so slow he is bored and leaves me in the middle of no mans land' kinda worry!

2) Keep up the workouts. Right now, they are clicking along wonderfully. And I am LOVING them.

Grade: A+++ I ended up with 14 hours of training for the week and all of them went well. Did some hard workouts and actually looked forward to them.

3) Long Ride - My goal is to ride 150K on Sunday. I am looking forward to it! Hopefully can find someone to go on part of it, if not, it's SOLO Ride time.
Grade: A- I had really hope to do 150K but it didn't work out. I ended up with 115K of WIND and HILLS. And more WIND.
I rode w/ a roadie who is strong, fast and skilled at riding. I don't think he was bored as it was a hardish ride and well, I am talkative and nosy :)

AND...i lost 1.5 pounds. That was icing on the cake :)

THIS WEEK - July 28-Aug 2

1) Enjoy a 3 day break from hard workouts while at the cottage - recovery is good for you (must keep repeating that) Lots of swimming and some trail runs.

2) Do NOT gorge at the cottage - always good food and drink around.

3) Keep up the kick ass workouts. I am loving them

4) Have fun tubing w/ my nephew at the cottage - he likes it when I wipe out!

Hope everyone is having a great and Healthy week!

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goals for last week:
1) Morning workouts! Need to start doing the morning workouts and not trying to cram my twoadays or even single workouts into the evenings. -- Did my morning workouts on Tuesday and Thursday. What fun it was to have some free time in the evenings.

2) Learn to love my bike again. I have a fit adjustment appt tomorrow so maybe that will help with the uncomfortable problem. -- Had a bike fit and did a long ride on Sunday with my new position. It is a bit less aggressive than before and I believe it helped. I had less seat and shoulder pain than previous rides. I was just so tired for the ride after a long run and bridal shower the day before. Peace making is in progress.

3) Work on my mental training so I can avoid a breakdown at IMWI-- Started to re-read the Triathletes Guide to Mental Training and focused on staying positive on my long run (which was way more hard than previous long runs) and my long ride. I think I was physically still tired from Racine and having family in town for a week.

4) Continue to Log food. -- Done. Now my scale broke so I have no idea about my weight. Will try to get that fixed this week.

Goals for this week:
1) Successfully ride all 112 miles of the IMWI course.
2) Complete at least 1 morning workout this week.
3) Get caught up on some sleep.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clean up nutrition. Get back to writing it all down and go to the store and get some decent food in the house. Well, I'd say a B- on this. I did cook up a bunch of chicken and got a huge thing of spinach and a bunch of fruit and ate well most of the time. Two nights out and beer drinking didn't help though.

Take my lunch at least 3 days. Check.

Workout-wise, it's a wait and see week as I have to call about jury duty which may begin tomorrow, so that may mess up the track schedule. Need to also get back to running, at least 3 days this week. Ended up going one day for jury duty. Only went to the track once due to transportation issues and other things coming up. I did get a long ride in, but only ran once.

This week:

* Masters Track Districts on Sat/Sun. Goal is to have fun and get some experience at a big race like this.

* Bring lunch 3x this week.

* Ride 7 days.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 7/28/08 [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last week:
1. Been having a great training week, after 2 days of not running, had a great long run and much appreciated the well-needed rest.
2. Food's been great, now that I'm back from traveling, I can get back onto a real schedule/eat my favorite things (eggs/etc. are a little hard to prepare in a hotel room!)
3. Would like to start swimming more, hopped in the pool after 2 weeks of not swimming and really felt it!
4. Had a great long run yesterday, averaged 8:10 pace for 12.1 miles--looking good for Boston qualifying.

This week:
1. Get a 1/2 marathon PR--under 1:46, on a hilly course. Not go out too hard, don't stress about everyone passing you in the beginning--good, solid warm-up for the first 2 miles. Then, the race begins!
2. Lots of sleep. :)
3. Do something nice for the boy. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week was good for me. Root canal got capped, so that episode is behind me. I can now chew; I no longer am relegated to squishy foods. I really missed veggies -- they are so nasty if squishy. Biking, running, swimming: going strong. And I picked up my kid from camp. Had not seen him for a month so I was really happy for the reunion.

This weekend I have an absolutely grueling bike ride planned. I am riding with a friend who is training for IMLou so her bike fitness is way ahead of mine (IMFL). I hope I can hang in there.

-S
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all!

It's great to see everyone doing whatever they are doing!

Had a much "happier" week this week... Knee that was badly swollen is def getting better. I am still figuring out where to be in the back to more training - be cautious - don't do too much - test it out and see world. Probably leaning more towards being cautious. Hope that make sense!

Rode twice last week at the end of the week, did two runs. The real test is the day after biking or running - after long run day (75 min) it was a little bit sore but not too bad, other days felt fine. So far so good. I have been ICING more then I ever imagined possible. Swam four times which really made me happy, 3 pool swims and one almost-transcendent lake swim in my new shorty wetsuit. I swam the same amount of time, same lake, as in the past but seemed to go a whole lot farther!!

Core 3 times and stretch 3 times. Finally. Food decent. Lost one or two pounds possibly.

I decided to drop out of my hilly half-iron race and switch to sprint - between the knee and my earlier season broken toe, haven't gotten the training in I was hoping for. But I added a flat Olympic early in Sept. and possibly will do one or two more sprints in August. This has actually been a really good learning experience in terms of relying on what I've learned in past 2 years of doing tris and listening to my body and at the same time seeing how I can still challenge myself within physical challenges. Even if they are smaller more niggly ones. :-) Well! I'm glad they are those not big huge nasty ones. :-)

This week: three pool swims, one team shorter brick, one run, one bike, then weekend training camp!! bike-run brick, swim-bike brick, lots of transition practice. Again core/stretch 3 times. Continue eating better. Lose another pound or two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This week was pretty much the same as last week. Only managed to get two runs in (as opposed to the 3 or 4 I was aiming for) so this weeks goal is to get at least one more in. I did pretty well with the nutrition - brought healthy breakfasts and lunches to work every day and only had two dinners out where I was not as healthy as I could have been (Moule-frites, why are you so delicious?) This is my last week before I can finally move in to my new place, so next week I will have my beloved bike again. I also need to get the swimming back up and running, still figuring out when and where that is going to happen.

Good job everyone!

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply