Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need help on swimwear for my wife
Quote | Reply
Hey All,

My wife is slowly becoming interested in triathlon and mentioned that she needed an actual swim-workout style suit. Having never done much searching for suits, I figured I'd ask the experts. Where do you guys get your suits? Are there any places to get really good deals? Because man those things are expensive.

Thanks for the Help.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help on swimwear for my wife [LeviSC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i go to my local running/swim store, make sure to get a suit made out of polyester--last waaaay longer and more worth for your $$$!

it doesn't feel as nice as the spandex/lycra, but when your suit doesn't fall apart after 2 months, you'll be really grateful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She should get a Splish suit. They're not overly expensive and she can design her own!! Makes the experience that much more enjoyable :)

Quote | Reply
Speedo website, get them from the "sale" page rather than their new ones. The sale ones are about half the price of the new ones.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Jul 25, 08 10:46
Quote Reply
Re: Need help on swimwear for my wife [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on Splish. I just got mine a while ago and LOVE it!! Affordable and oh so cute! Now only if I could look as cute as Amanda Lovato in hers...

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Re: Need help on swimwear for my wife [LovePugs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
splish suits feel weird to me... the material isn't as silky as the Speedo suits.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What you think she may like and what she does like are quite likely two different things. I've found this out the hard way when purchasing swim suits for women.

Find a good swimsuit store with a good selection, buy her a gift certificate and let her pick her own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i like swimoutlet.com. lots of brands (though not splish, never tried it), and lots of sales. goggles, fins, bags, etc too - you name it.

and +1 on the polyester - they last a LOT longer. I'm currently using a Tyr Durafast Maxback suit, and I like it. Not as stretchy as my old Lycra suit, but much more durable!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedo Endurance, they come in pretty designs and last forever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She's going to need to try some on until she knows a brand's sizing and then can order others online. I highly suggest going to a local swim shop and spending time tormenting herself in the changing room. As in all clothing, the fit and size difference can be pretty dramatic.

Brand suggestions include Speedo, Finis and Nike. Splish is great once she knows her size.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wanted to add that when you buy a swimsuit - unless it's one of the endurance ones - it should feel really really tight when you put it on dry. They stretch out in the water SO fast. Buying one that feels comfy in the store will result in a swimsuit that's really awfully loose in the water.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DO you have a swimshop in your area that supports the local swim teams?? I used to go to Castaway and buy the swimteam samples.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help on swimwear for my wife [PC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the Finis suits. http://www.finisinc.com/products-swimwear.shtml

Their polyester suits run about $40.

The Tyr polyester suits are also good. If you shop around you can find them for about $45 (instead of abou $70 full retail).
Quote Reply