Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saddle suggestions?
Quote | Reply
I am looking for some saddle help.

I ride a tri-bike and experience bruising in my "pelvic arch". That is the best way I think I can describe the area - it is not my butt and not my front. I don't experience typical chafing or other irritations. It can truly only be described as bruising between my thighs where typical underwear seams are. I don't wear underwear when riding, I am just using that as a way to explain where the bruising is...

I currently have a Profile Design Tri CroMoly saddle. Despite not being a women's saddle, it was great in the first season. In the second season, I had a baby and experienced bruising but didn't make much of it because, well ... I had a baby two months earlier and expected things to be tender down there. This year, things are no better so I suspect that having a baby may have changed me forever down there and as a result, the saddle that was good is no more.

Any suggestions on other saddles to look at? I don't think the addage of measuring sit bones applies as much because 90% of the time, I am in aero position. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle suggestions? [tricanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We actually had a good thread on saddle recommendations a couple months ago. I ended up with the Specialized Jett and it is the first saddle I have ever felt comfortable on.

Here is the thread: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=1662565

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle suggestions? [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I offer a man's observations from fitting countless women on tri bikes (and in the process getting pretty good at getting them to tell the truth about whether or not they truly find a saddle comfortable - a sensitive subject area to say the least). Here's a relatively comprehensive list of the tri saddles we carry in stock and routinely use in our fitting process:

• Fizik Arione Tri (all models)
  • Fizik Vitesse Tri
  • Terry TRX
  • Terry Butterfly Tri
  • Terry Fly Tri
  • Terry Damselfly
  • Selle Italia SLR T1
  • Specialized Tri Tip (all model/sizes)
  • Specialized Toupe 143
  • Specialized Jett (all models)
  • Specialized Ruby (all models)
  • Selle SMP Stryke
  • Selle SMP Pro
  • Selle Itlalia Azoto
  • Selle Italia Aspide Tri
  • ISM Adamo
  • Profile Tri Stryke (all models)
  • Selle Italia SLK Gel Flow
And here's a comprehensive list of 95% of what ends up on our TT bikes out the door these days (regardless of male or female, interestingly)
  • Specialized Toupe 143
  • ISM Adamo
These 2 kill everything else in terms of the feedback we get. Both require attention to detail during setup. It's worth working with a fitter familiar with tri fits and even better if they have used these saddles often. Where do you live? I might be able to recommend a qualified fitter near you.

- Joe S.

Joe Santos

Davis Wheelworks | dW² Facebook | dW² Twitter

BMC | Boardman | Cervélo | Felt | Lapierre | Atomic High Performance | ENVE | HED. | SRM | Stages | Zipp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was on the Tri-Stryke for a year and then switched to the ISM Adamo for the past 2 years. I love it. I will ride on nothing else. That being said...we may not be the same "down there." I think everyone is a little different. Weather it be how you sit on your saddle, your actual anatomy, or where you like to be supported. Just because one person says "this is the way to go" may not be right for you. Sorry, I am not much help. :(

Heather Sweet
http://thesweetsadventure.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle suggestions? [hj-rockstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My stock seat sucked - rubbed me raw and bruised me, so I had to change. I had the Adamo for a few months, but after one particularly long ride (century), I couldn't sit on it anymore. Turns out it's too narrow for my sit bones, but otherwise I loved it. So now I have the Toupe (or is it a Ruby?) in a 155 and it's awesome. Took only a couple of rides to get it right and I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you are referring to the "taint"... it t'aint this and it t'aint that" (I learned it here on ST)

Jay
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle suggestions? [JBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The company that make ISM Adamo saddle also make a saddle called the Mo-Flo. I loved the theory behind the Adamo and it relieved all the pressure on my soft tissue but the nose was too wide for my huge thighs. I contacted John Cobb, co-designer of the Adamo, for a suggestion. He suggested the Mo-flo because it was cut more narrow at the front with a little more padding on the "nose". I really like it. Fit is most important... go to your local bike shop and try out saddles. Usually a good bike shop will have several saddles you can try out...ride around the neighborhood etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am still riding on the same saddle I started with four years ago (I ride a Cervelo SLC with shortie bars). It is a Serfas which no one ever talks about. I cannot find a comparable seat and I need a new seat because this one is old, has sort of flexed outward and now chafes my inner thighs. But every seat I try (and there's been at least 5 different models) seems to rub me raw on my really sensitive parts. I even found a Serfas similar to the one I have but it did the same thing.

I am at such a loss at this point. Is there a way to get a bike fit that includes the type of saddle that will work with a particular anatomy. I notice someone mentioned that their sit bones were too narrow for a certain saddle type. Maybe I have some sort of anatomy problem

Nor do I use punctuation in the way a child sprinkles glitter over a ribbon of glue on construction paper - Trash Talk
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle suggestions? [lesson989] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They don't make it anymore? I used to ride a Serfas, but like the Adamo better.

http://www.serfas.com/

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle suggestions? [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine looks similar to the Stinger rs2 men's saddle. But mine is definitely a woman's saddle, little roses on the sides and not as long as the men's saddle. I checked the website before but no luck. I even emailed the company explaining my dilemma. No response : {

Nor do I use punctuation in the way a child sprinkles glitter over a ribbon of glue on construction paper - Trash Talk
Quote Reply