Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ladies who have done a HIM, esp. ~7 hrs
Quote | Reply
how did you decide to make the plunge? there is one I am thinking of doing, and I am fairly certain I can complete it.

it used to be that i said i'd never do one until i was sure i could do it in < 6:30 (for patience reasons), but recently i did a century and realized that maybe my patience isn't so thin.

i've done 5 sprints, have an oly coming up, and i just can't let go of the idea of doing this race, THIS year, in a few months. because i might be graduating soon and i don't know what next year will be like, that's part of my desire to do it NOW.

i can swim just fine, though I haven't done too many open water swims (7), but i am totally comfortable in a pool. i'm not fast but 2500 yards is not a problem, even without regular swim training. cycling is ok, hills i'm not good at but on a given weekend i can do 60 miles with some hills, and the one i'm thinking of doing is not too hilly. the running is the problem, i've done a couple of half marathons but i'm not strong at it, and i'm concerned i'd have to walk ~1/2 of the run, but i don't know because i haven't been training for it.

i generally race to have fun. all the races i've done, i've known i can finish but that i'd never place.

anyway, i'd love to hear from anyone who has had similar thought processes or about how you decided to just do it. thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: ladies who have done a HIM, esp. ~7 hrs [lisazapato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it took me 7 hours to do the Little Smokey Half Ironman that was the half in the Desoto triple t event in shawnee state park (southern ohio).

it was hard to be patient during that event, surprise. during Little Smokies Half i wanted to quit really badly. but i saw a few of my buds and they yelled "don't quit!" those bastards read my mind!

as for taking the plunge, sometimes you just have to jump in. sign up, and train. it will be a great day and you can make it on your own terms. why not, what's there to lose?

i always found that if i felt like signing up, then i would. it's not a bad policy.

good luck with your choice, it sounds like you want to do it. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did FL 70.3 in May and while I didn't plan on it being 7 hours I ended up pretty close to that due to cramping on the run. I think if you've done 2 1/2 marathons you should be fine to go for it! Then again what do I know - it took me almost 3 hours to do the run and running is supposed to be my strongest sport ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i've done 5 sprints, have an oly coming up, and i just can't let go of the idea of doing this race, THIS year, in a few months. because i might be graduating soon and i don't know what next year will be like, that's part of my desire to do it NOW.

Do it NOW. It is from this base of a ~7 hour HIM that you will build upon should you choose to do another. Without starting, you have no experience at all.

In hindsight, whether you finish in 360 minutes, 390 minutes, or 420 minutes has little bearing on the fact that you did finish your first race of this distance.

Make sure that your training adequately prepares you physically and mentally for what concerns you, i.e. don't show up at the start line with your longest run being a 10K.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take forever no matter what distance I do so mental toughness is a huge part of my race strategy. Just be OK inside your own head. You get there by doing long rides, 4 hours, and long runs, 2 hours minimum. Don't wear an iPod or have company on some of your long training either. Get used to what it will feel like to do this during the race when ultimately it is just you out there. Long distance is more mental than the shorter events. You will be fine with the right physical training and if you are willing to put the time in, you'll be fine with the mental aspects as well.

Do it. You'll love the challenge and race day will go by so fast because of your mental training you won't even notice the time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm kind of in the same boat but I DID sign up for a half. My weakness is on the other end though, the swim. I'm just a super slow swimmer who learned to swim as an adult. I'm glad I get to have the swim over with first. My plan is always to get from point A to point B the best that I can. I've been scared every race I've done, and I've also been very happy I entered when I'm done. Although I have the usual trepidation about my half in August, I know I won't have regrets and the experience will be positive. Just go for it, enjoy the journey and appreciate the good health to train and finish your race.
Quote Reply
Re: ladies who have done a HIM, esp. ~7 hrs [diva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks very much ladies...i am inching ever closer....:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another ~7 hr-er here... Last year, did Timberman. It was my second season of tri, with very little sbr background before. Expected around 7, took a little longer but was still within my slowest projected goal time. I loooooved it! Even though I was not really trained enough. That sort of crept up on me, I mean I didn't realize how much I had missed till it was too late. I had worked hard but not gone long enough... In any case, I was able to do the distance and felt great. After not during. :-)

I swam very slowly but was thrilled that I could swim the whole thing freestyle, never freaked or anything even approaching it... That was my goal. It was a great learning experience, I realized I could have pushed a little more on the swim. Bike, I was not prepared for the hills or distance, had only done a very few bikerides over 2:45... yikes! But managed to do it. That seems to be the theme... and the run, blew up pretty much as I had all kinds of GI issues due to drinking too much on bike. But I just did what I could. I sure learned a lot.

If you have already done at least one 1/2 marathon you'll be fine!! Jenhs's comments about mental toughness are right on the mark. And the other person too, I can't remember who, right on, who said it's a great place to start from, even if it Does take 7 hrs. After my race I was at first pretty disappointed at my time but everyone I know kept saying "It's your first!!" 1/2. What I found still frustrating is that there are also a lot of people who did much faster on their first 1/2. But I eventually came back to the standard "race your own race" thing - which is so important in all this, and for me, anyway, easy to forget. Other people care far less about my time than me.

It's so important to stay within yourself and remember that it's all about the journey you undertake with all this stuff. I am writing so much, right now, as I am again (!!!!) doing Timberman and as it inches closer doing more introspective kind of things, putting all these thoughts down and knowing others will read helps a lot.

I hope I am faster this year, but if not I'll still have a great time. You will too.

I hope you do it!! :-D

PS I signed up b/c two people in my swim class said "we're doing a 1/2, you should too"...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a ps, if you have to walk part of the run so what? a lot of people do... of course some find that abhorrent.

but again, if it's just about you and your race it shouldn't matter so much, esp. if you can run through the finish chute. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: ladies who have done a HIM, esp. ~7 hrs [minniepearl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are races where more than half the field is going to end up walking part of the run. The years when Gulf Coast comes up hot & humid come to mind.
Quote Reply
Re: ladies who have done a HIM, esp. ~7 hrs [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As Nike says Just Do It!!

I did Oceanside 70.3 this year and it was a lot of fun. If you train properly, have acceptable goals, and look at it like a LONG training day, you will have a blast.
The swim is my crutch, and as soon as I got out of the water I knew the fun was going to begin. Barring any major catastrophe I knew I would finish, so I just told myself not to leave it all on the bike course, and ended up running under 2 hours.

I can bet you won't be the last person to finish, but even if you were WHO CARES!!!!

You will feel a sense of great accomplishment when you're done, and about 30 mins after you finish, you'll want to sign up for another.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I haven't taken the plunge just yet, but I already have come to terms with the fact I will never be fast. A HIM in ~7 hrs? I can hope? I just decided that it was time to try that distance, but not till next summer. I'm taking a conservative estimate and it will probably be every bit of that.

But so what? I am in it for fun. I don't get paid to do this. It's a hobby. I am taking the plunge to give myself a new challenge.

My theory is if I tell enough people I'm doing X HIM next summer, I have to :) Once I commit, no backing out unless I'm hospitalized .....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To quote a very wise person:

"do it. do it. do it, man. do it" - Bart Simpson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just finished the Peterborough Half IM on sunday and let me tell you, there were A LOT of people walking the run. Including me!

Last year I did it in ~6:40, as the run turned into a death march. I just kept plugging away and finally the finish line was in sight.

This year, I finished in 6:11 (PB for this course out of 3 times trying!) and the biggest contributor for me having a great time out there....I did my own race. I continually kept telling myself...'do your own thing, race your own race' and it really helped. I gave myself spots that I could walk at, AID Stations and uphills and then ran the rest. I still had a slow run but I felt great the whole time and I crossed with a smile. http://www.photoreflect.com/...00BY0J0060&po=60

ANYWAY, if it's something you want to do this year, train and go do it. And HAVE FUN. Don't let the doubts into your head, just keep telling yourself you can do what you set your heart and mind to.

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
all, thanks for your input. i did my first Oly yesterday and had a great time - and decided emphatically on the run that i have no need to do a HIM in the near future. :) it just became clear to me that until i can pick up some speed, a ~7 hour torturefest is not something i personally feel like doing. i know there are ladies out there who like to push their limits in endurance, i guess i am not one of them! there were times in the last few weeks when i almost "just signed up" for a half, one of those "just do it" moments...but something always held me back and told me to wait and see how i felt after an oly, and i think that was a good call. i enjoyed the oly distance very much and will keep doing those for a while before i go longer.

thanks for all your input!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good for you. sometimes on ST i think the venture of a HIM is often the bridesmaid of the ironman, that people do not consider the difficultly or often under-rate the half. the truth is that a HIM is very challenging. and i don't care what anybody says, 7 hours of "racing" is tough. everytime i've done one, be it 6 hours or 7, i always say "never again". LOL.

good luck in your oly's! hope you post some reports! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first half in 2005, 7 hours 2 mins. The run was the worst for me as I am not a fast runner. My problem was that I took in fluid off the aid stations that I was not use to and was cramping the whole 13.1 miles. The 2nd one, I got sick 3 weeks out from the race, decided to do the swim and then quit, but had a good swim so why not bike and then quit. My bike was so so, so what the heck I will do the run which was miserable. run, walk, run, walk, 7hours 20 mins. Lost my voice for 3 months. vocal cords swelled and red. Ended up taking allergy shots and got much better. 3rd half-swim not so good but okay, bike, had tire issues lost a lot of time trying to mess with tire/brake/ 6:44, so close to my goal of 6:30!! This year, the swim was cancelled due to rough waters/rip tides/ had to do a 2 mile run, bike, run. 6:11. I am sure if I could have done the swim I could have gotten close to my goal of 6:30. But will never know until next time. So don't be afraid, go for it. Expect the unexpected. Be prepared. And my gosh, there were hundreds of people walkilng the half marathon. It was very hot. I also saw 2 guys walkilng the half and not running, so you can do whatever you put your mind to. Above all, have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well,my first HIM was Oceanside 70.3 this year,which took me 6:30hr, then Wildflower HIM with a 7:17 hr.
I started last year with my first International Tri,never really swam freestyle before,so I went to the pool 2 wks before my first race to swim,and that was it.I was hooked.I wanted to spent more time doing the race,therefor HIm are great!
Now I swim about 1-2 miles twice a wk in the ocean.I'm not a strong runner,but I'll do my best.
I think that should be the way to go.Do some training and then just go and do your best.Have fun,don't question yourself too much,you'll do fine.

M

CA 70.3 '08 WILDFLOWER HIM '08

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me it takes 6.20 - 7.00 hours. If I tried it today I would need camping gear. You will have a great time. It is the power of the mind.
Quote Reply