Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Skincare/makeup
Quote | Reply
Hi all,
I am not a big makeup wearer, however, I do like to appear professional at work so I wear alittle. I am trying out some new makeup products and wondered if anyone has a favorite. I hate companies like Mary Kay where the salespeople harrass and I don't want a heavily madeup look. Has anyone used Bare Escentuals? I would prefer something organic. Thanks!

Can you hear me now?
Quote Reply
Re: Skincare/makeup [Griffen_Gal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I bother to wear make up, it's generally MAC or Clinique. I checked Bare Minerals, but as I understood it you had to subscribe to it or something, like continually purchase it, and I just don't use it often enough for that. Maybe I misunderstood.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm... I never wear make-up. Does that suggest I don't look as professional as those who do?

Quote | Reply
I wear Bare Minerals and I love it, and no, you don't have to continually purchase it, just buy what you want when you need. You can get from their website, their stores, Ulta, or Sephora.

What I like about Bare Escentuals makeup:

1) You can't feel it on your skin. I have oily skin so I used to wear all sorts of liquid makeup and within a few hours, especially in the summer, my face would just feel DIRTY and I had to wash it. With Bare Minerals, I feel like I didn't put anything on at all, and actually, on warm days I end up looking dewy instead of disgusting.

2) It's not liquid so you can take it on an airplane if necessary. I hate checking bags so being able to bring it all with me without a problem is good. Application is simple too, but have a salesperson show you or watch the DVD. The con is, you need the special brushes, which I actually really like.

3) If you only get one thing, get the Mineral Veil. I'm not sure how it works, but just a sweep of that over your skin makes it more even looking, it makes all the light reflect off your face nicely. I have acne scars so I prefer to do the whole shebang of foundation first, but on days when I just don't care to impress anyone, a sweep of the veil is all I need.

4) Other days, when I don't want to deal with any makeup at all, I use a tiny bit of Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer. As my friend describes it, it's like someone erases your face, it becomes really smooth and it's just a moisturizer with a bit of SPF too. So this also works for even skin tone, but not so good on planes.

Both of these are not cheap, but they last a long time, especially if you don't wear much. I've had my Laura Mercier for a few years possibly, and I'm nearly out now (not from daily use, but still - years!), and the bare minerals you hardly need any at all, those can last you a while too.

Hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Skincare/makeup [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm... I never wear make-up. Does that suggest I don't look as professional as those who do?

Depends on what your "profession" is. Just kidding.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like MAC because there are about 2 bazillion colors/shades that it's hard not to find one you like and the price is reasonable relative to other "fancy" makeup. Aveda makeup is great too--very light, smells awesome, made with natural ingredients.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lately i find myself not wearing makeup too much these days. but i like chanel the best. my friend says jane iredale has really clean ingredients and she loves it (and is a big organic fan, as in it's her entire lifestyle).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a total make-up junkie but I don't wear it heavy. I go for a polished look that is subtle but clean and fresh. I wear a couple different brands of stuff.

Make-up:

In the summer on my face I use a tinted moisturizer from Benefit, You Rebel: http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/...011&bcBrand=core

For a winter foundation, nothing has ever beaten the Benefit Playsticks for me. Not heavy at all but great coverage and the shade I use is an exact match. http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/...011&bcBrand=core

To add some color to my cheeks I use Bobbi Brown bronzer: http://www.bobbibrowncosmetics.com/...ORY_ID=CATEGORY21617

For mascara, it depends. I still haven't found the perfect one. Lately I've been using The Body Shop Waterproof: http://www.thebodyshop.com/...roductId=prod4940005

Eyeliner: Anna Sui has the absolute best ones on the market. I have 2 that I've had for years and I have yet to find any other that are as good. Creamy and have good lasting power: http://www.annasuibeauty.com/...m_eyes_eye_liner.htm

Eyeshadow, several different kinds. Bobbi Brown, MAC, Benefit. My latest color that I wear every day is by NARS, All about Eve: http://www.narscosmetics.com/...-C23_category_2.aspx

Lip color, I go super lightweight and tend to wear tinted balms more than glosses or lipstick. I have a big variety, some from Burts Bees, others I found in drugstores, etc.

Check out Sephora.com. I think they have pretty much everything on my list except the mascara.

Skincare:

I've been using Shiseido primarily. I use the facial cleanser and eye cream. Both very good.
http://www1.macys.com/...eID=25897*1*24*-1*-1

For a moisturizer, right now I'm using Bliss the youth as we know it: http://www.blissworld.com/...uth+as+we+know+it.do I'm not 100% happy with it because it doesn't contain an SPF so I'll be on the hunt for a new one when this jar is gone.

I have a problem, I need help. My husband shakes his head. What can I say? I'm almost 40 and grew up in the 80s when everyone wore a ton of make-up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: jenhs: Jul 9, 08 19:51
Quote Reply
Re: Skincare/makeup [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Chanel make-up counter is a notorious blackhole. It sucks all my money when I visit.

I LOVE THEIR STUFF.

Though Dior Kiss is a better lip gloss and I would die if they discontinue my favorite shade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Dermalogica and LOVE IT. It's not organic but super good. They have a tinted moisturizer that I use. Good stuff.

Quote | Reply
Clinique City Block SPF 40 is tinted, so it gives a light coverage without the heavy makeup feel. It's fragrance free, gives me that "dewey" look, and doesn't make me break out. I've been using it for years. I even wear it while racing/training. The rest of my body has gotten baked (even with SPF 45), while my face has been fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Skincare/makeup [geekgoddess] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
amen. have you tried the eye cream? it's amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another Bare Minerals fan here...clean and easy, lasts forever. Target actually sells a Bare Minerals kit now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A third fan of Bare Minerals. All of the females in my family swear by it. My mom lives in an area where it is not readily available so whenever she comes to visit, a trip to Ulta to restock is always on the agenda. She has also taken to sending me emails with her orders if she isn't going to visit a while.

I almost never wear makeup and a couple of months ago during a visit, my mom bought me a bare minerals kit. I really like it and find myself applying it quite frequently. It is light and is "almost" like not wearing makeup at all. It smooths out my skin tone and makes me look refreshed. Like Lisazapato, I really like the mineral veil (no idea how it works but it is quite amazing) and the well-rested which is concealer/under eye makeup.

The starter kit is great as it is fairly reasonably priced and comes with the makeup and brushes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll x whatever the Bare Minerals. I love it for all the reasons stated -- no oiliness, etc., can take on plane....etc. I bought it when it was still in Infomercial land and was SOOOO embarrassed, tee-hee, but now it's at Sephora and even have their own stores in the mall now.

as for skincare, I'm a HUGE, HUGE Arbonne fan. I have very very sensitive skin and have run the gamut of the estee lauder, etc and my face would go nutso. Arbonne Re9 stuff works out to be cheaper overall and once you buy you end up re purchasing on your own so no harrassing sales people to deal with. ONE MORE reason I like them. I just go to their website, buy what I want all in the privacy of my own home with no one harrassing me to buy more or "here, try this."
Quote Reply
Re: Skincare/makeup [cindyloohoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,
Thank you so much for all of your suggestions! Jenhs you crack me up about the 80's and makeup comment!

Can you hear me now?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a huge Stila and Benefit fan but I've been using a few Philosophy products lately that I love. I recommend if you have a Sephora nearby, go there and try out your options. They are really good about giving you take-home samples. If they don't offer, just ask. :)

Philosophy Supernatural is similar to Bare Escentuals but even easier to use (if that's possible!!) because the sponge is attached. Super light and natural looking.
http://sephora.com/...&categoryId=3866

Benefit Fast and Furious is an awesome set for a very natural look (and an excellent deal on these products).
http://sephora.com/...mp;categoryId=C10339

Philosophy Purity is the most awesome cleanser/makeup remover ever. Everyone that I've told about it who tried it now uses it.
http://sephora.com/...&categoryId=3866

Korres is an all natural line from Greece. I've been using the Wild Rose moisturizer for over a year and love it. They've recently started making cosmetics. The Guava lip butter and Cherry (oil not color) gloss in Nude are yummy. This set has some good basics for starting out in colors you can't screw up with even if you try. :)
http://sephora.com/...ml?categoryId=C17822
Quote Reply
Re: Skincare/makeup [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOVE THE STUFF!

Ran out of Dermalogica moisturizer and started to apply Chanel eye cream all over my face and neck and my skin is just so much happier. :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love True makeup. It is mineral makeup and has SPF in it. It is awesome and you don't even feel like you have makeup on and it is so easy it literally takes no time (or talent in the makeup area which I have none) to apply. It is a bit expensive, but for me it is worth it as it doesn't clog your pores and doesn't feel like you have anything on at all. I get the pressed compact, but they also have loose powder. I find that the loose powder is just a pain. I've used Bare Escentuals before, not a big fan of it. Just didn't like the way it looked by the end of the day.
Quote Reply
Re: Skincare/makeup [lisazapato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ditto. Bare Minerals, Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer and some Stila shadow on my eyes... that's it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Foundation: Count me another Bare Minerals fan. I will echo what everyone else has said-- can't feel it on your skin, very natural looking. My skin improved within a month of using it, and that was four years ago. I usually buy it at Sephora or in their own store. If you try it, the starter kit is well worth the cost, because the brushes alone would cost that much. And you get to try two different shades. Like with any foundation, finding your exact match is key.

Blush: Nars Orgasm. Very natural looking (on me at least). I have tried others, but I keep coming back to this.

Mascara: L'Oreal Lash Out. Hands down the best IMO. Every time I try something different, I go running back to my beloved Lash Out. Stays put and doesn't flake or smudge, but washes off easily with soap and water. Easy to apply. Makes long, thick, lush lashes.

Lipstick: I like the Revlon Shiny Sheers (they come in a slender black tube). More like a lip gloss-- very sheer, which I like. My favorites are Cocoa Glaze (looks a lot like Clinique Black Honey) and Glistening Rose (peachy pinky).

Eye shadow: no clear favorite.

Eyeliner: Clinique Quick Liner for Eyes. Comes with its own smudger on the end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, you gals wear a lot more than I thought.

My daily routine: Dove Day Lotion with SPF-15. Mac dark brown mascara. Done. Then again I manage about 30 shop-floor mechanics and machinists, and am really a tomboy, so I can get away with it.

If I actually get gussied up to go out: Shisedo green stick neutralizer, Clinique foundation (best I've ever used), Mac pressed powder, and Mary Kay (it was a gift but I actually like it a lot) Eyecicles, top off with Mac lipstick in what ever colour I feel like (I have about 5 or 6). I wear lipstick so infrequently that when people who have never seen me with it on do see it on me, they usually freak (and not in a good way).

One thing I love is my cleanser: Clinique foaming cleanser. That bottle lasts forever and it doesn't dry my skin out at all.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi

Actually went out and bought some Bare Minerals (the starter kit) b/c of this, it sounded good.

For eye stuff, any Maybelline is actually good, and I've been told by some makeup artists that many of them love Great Lash mascara. I use the waterproof and love it.

Second (or third or fourth) the vote for Clinique foundation, in many forms. Been using it since college. A loooong time ago.

Just got this L'Oreal lip stuff called "Infallible" - it's that stay on forever lip color - works GREAT except you have to be really careful putting it on! Got it at CVS.

Lastly, a concealer also recommended by a makeup artist is Yves Saint Laurent, called Radiant Touch. That one is pricey but worth it.

I don't wear a lot of makeup in general but do love my little bit of it...
Quote Reply