Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chronic Epstein-Barr Virus Infection
Quote | Reply
Anybody ever heard of such a thing? Doc says I've got it & no wonder I'm tired. She's putting me on Valtrex for 3 months and says the cure is icky ~~ apparently you feel miserable when the cell walls of the little viruses die off and all the toxins are released into your system. Sounds awful but if helps chase after Old Mister Ironman, I'm in. Thoughts appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Chronic Epstein-Barr Virus Infection [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine had Epstein-Barr (it made half of his face go numb!) I don't know if there are different variants of the virus, but he had tremendously good success with Acupuncture treatments. I don't know if such an option appeals to you, but thought I'd throw it out there. Best wishes a speedy recovery, it sounds like a very rough illness!

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had mono in HS, and battled what they called Chronic EB on and off for about 6 years. This was back in the 80's, and the cure was to suck it up and deal, so no idea about the Valtrex.

All I know is that I was physically exhausted for years. Sleeping 16 hours a night in college at times, and still feeling worked. There were many days where my main task was to brush my teeth and hair and watch soap operas, stay awake til dinner was over, and go back to bed. It sucked. I had many many blood tests and titre's? for mono to check the level of the EB Virus, and it always came back elevated but not for a current infection. It was frustrating as hell, and sometimes I would feel great for a few months, than just as quickly, fall apart. I had no idea what caused these swings at the time. I do know that during this time, I quit being a such a crazy drunk-ass and started working out, and I really think it helped me.

So, I know what you are going through. I know some folks who have had mono like "relapses" alot like mine. I've come to the conclusion that these relapses can be traced back to periods of stress, drinking too much booze, staying up late, whatever. In general, take care of yourself. Sleep. You may not have a choice on that because your body might demand it, but really, I found that tons of sleep help.

I hope the Valtrex works. You are gonna feel crappy anyhow from the EB.

Sue
Quote Reply
Re: Chronic Epstein-Barr Virus Infection [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the thinking on the acupuncture. i'm pretty ambivalent about it. when i had some bulging disks in my cervical vertibrae (think PAIN in the shoulder/arm!) from doing a half-marathon with my old english sheepdog in tow (yeah, d'oh!), they tried acupuncture with those little cones inside of cups and it hurt worse than the bulging disk pain. so i dunno ... but thanks for the suggestion ~~
Quote Reply
Re: Chronic Epstein-Barr Virus Infection [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the insight. i had mono really bad in the 3d grade ... was out for almost 3 months, if i recall correctly. but never made the connection. hell, i thought feeling crappy maybe went along with getting older (i'm 56). went to an anti-aging doc, who found it after testing for everything in the universe and then some. maybe the valtrex will help. i had to postpone IMAZ 08 because of the tiredness and inability to get out there & train consistently. hard to do when you want to curl up on the office floor and snooze. i thought i was going a little nuts, maybe, like alzheimers or MS or something. glad it has a name, anyway, and the possibility of treatment. got the valtrex yesterday. regular retail price: a staggering $790 per month. with insurance: *only* $141 per month. sheesh.

so i went out yesterday and revisited the holistic food store & picked up all the essentials to start on the macrobiotic diet again. yummy ... daikon root, miso paste, shiitake mushrooms. might as well go at it a hundred and ten percent...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if I had "chronic" but my levels were elevated and a few years ago I had NO idea what was going on, tired all_the_time.

Now I watch for telltale signs of my levels becoming elevated, as it's my understanding once you have the "virus" it stays with you. My throat will start getting swollen and my spleen will become sensitive, and of course I will start to feel somewhat fatigued. I just really try to stay in tune with my body and not do the old 20 something HTFU stuff and keep training. I definitely rest at the first sign of trouble.

Valtrex, boy that's interesting, I'd never heard of that as a treatment for EB. I just thought it was rest, rest, and more rest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
um...Ok someone's gotta say it....isn't this drug used to treat...herpes????

Also have you gone on a macrobiotic diet before? if so, how was it? results? why'd you stop? etc?
Quote Reply
Re: Chronic Epstein-Barr Virus Infection [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based my limited internet research on the subject, the Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) is Human herpesvirus 4 (HHV-4) which is a member of the herpes family. So maybe this is why valtrex is a drug choice.

When I am bored at work, I research anything.
Last edited by: instigator: Jul 10, 08 10:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate EBV, since I got mono a few years ago training has never been the same, I get in a good groove for a few weeks and then forget it... I wish I had caught it when I was a kid, or that it just went away forever for a change, I am tired of not having the same energy levels I used to :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this post is old, but if you read this you should check out this site for possible help humi-aid.com. Hope this gives you aid.
Quote Reply
Re: Chronic Epstein-Barr Virus Infection [kbee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Epstein Barrs is a strain of the herpes virus. So is cytomegalovirus which has similar symptoms.
Quote Reply