Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 7/7/08
Quote | Reply
Here we go again. Here's the weekly thread for you to tell us how your last week of training went. Brag about the highs and fess up about the lows. Then, tell us how you're going to change your actions so that this coming week is even better.

For me:
  • The highlight for me this week is that I GOT BACK ON THE BIKE!!!! First ride since the ST Gals training week at Xantusia and first time on my own bike since last fall. DH and I did a 1:10 hilly ride yesterday and then stopped for lunch at a nice little bistro on the way home. It's great now that our girls are old enough to stay home without us.
  • Did 4 of my 5 runs. The 5th run was scheduled for Saturday, but I didn't get up early enough to get it in before picking up DD1 from basketball camp. No biggie since I got in my long run and hill interval run during the week.
  • Down 0.8 lbs from previous week. Slowly making progress on the weight thing.

Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 7/7/08 [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good job on the bike!!

Last week: RACE! Racing Wednesday and Sunday with a track clinic on Saturday. Maybe racing Friday. Also need to run.

Check! Raced Wednesday night, Friday and Sunday, all on the bike (two track sessions and one crit). Had a BLAST! Had a big breakthrough yesterday. Running, not so much. Only once.

Yesterday's race report is here: http://ironclm.typepad.com/...rr-proman-omniu.html

For this week: Do some sort of training every day, including my trip to NY mid-week. Track racing Friday night. Saturday--get some serious track training in with my pursuit partner. Healthy eating while traveling--this will be the biggest challenge.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UGH! UGH! UGH!

My total run volume last week was only 30 miles, BOO-HIIIISSS!! I do plan on making up for it today with a nice, very hot run of 18 miles. Still debating on whether or not to sign up for the Alien Marathon. I keep going back and forth with gas to get to Vegas, hotel expense...yada, yada. I know, I'm sitting here the "lady of excuses."

Given myself a big fat F for swimming or not swimming last week. Didn't even get to the gym or outside rec pool.

This week my big goal is to get my mileage around 50-60 (where it should be), then I will bump it up accordingly.

Welp, hopefully this week goes better as planned.

N~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Over 16 hours last week: 160 bike miles, 22 run miles, and 6,000 yds swim. Plus, I conquered a big ol' hill on a metric century I rode on Friday, and that was sweet, since I hate (H-A-T-E) hills. Weight holding steady but down two from a month ago.

I have not brought diet soda in the house since that diet coke thread a while ago. I still drink it when I am out, but I am not sucking them down at home constantly anymore. And now, since diet coke is a treat, I can go to the movies, get a medium diet coke, and feel all blissed out and not miss the other crap they sell one bit. Added bonus.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 7/7/08 [squesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This past week, I bought a Garmin with a HRM (big to me, I've never owned one) and did the 30 minutes of hell test (run as fast as you can for 30 minutes, figure out your average heart rate for the last 20 minutes, then base your Zones off of that). Failed the test, stopped after 15 minutes (I was dry heaving on the side of the track), recovered, and tried to do the 8-minute all out on the track test instead. Averaged 176 for both tests.

Felt a little dejected, but got over it quickly. Later, had a fantastic run with one of my best friends on Saturday--10+ miles at sub-Boston pace--trying to feel everything out, felt pretty good and also like I could have kept going. :) Very happy with my running! Onto this next week. . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week I had a goal of eating better. Giant F for that.

I also had a goal of getting off my ass and getting back to working out. Giant F for that too.

Do I care all that much? Nope. Still riding the "I just did an Ironman" excuse. And, I just started a consulting gig so that was a convenient reason too.

This week's goals:
Acclamization to heat for Death Valley
Work out 4 times for a minimum of 30 minutes each
Shake the cold that once again is haunting me

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I get a 'C' for the week ...workouts and eating clean went very well for the first part of the week. When the boy-toy came home from school for the long weekend, he and I tried to do a series of healthy meals (we have a history of killing a large pizza together for dinner). That went reasonably well until we hit up Johnny Rockets for burgers and shakes on Saturday afternoon.

On a semi-tri related note, I opened up the August issues of Triathlete and was floored to see one of my photos used in a FULL PAGE AD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!! Check out page 113, an ad for Nathan ...it is a pic of the boy's very cute butt running down the beach :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 7/7/08 [Leloo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doing OK. Did all workouts, except for last Wed. when giant thunderstorms cancelled all swimming possibilities (we have a "Y" but they don't let you swim when there's thunderstorms either, usual summer pool is outside). Went shopping with swimming buddy instead. On the drive home from shopping, realized I made the right choice. Many lights were out - no power - many trees were down over the road. 3 areas where police were directing traffic around a downed tree.

Feeling good, doing the taper for IMLP and scaling back the eating to accomodate the taper.
Rode yesterday afternoon with my fast husband and his even faster friend and hung in there no sweat. They weren't going mach 10 the whole time, but it's definitely a faster ride than I've been doing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am officially back on track. My first official weekend of Kona training. I had a great weekend of training (even though I'm a bit out of shape and because of that it hurt a bit more than usual). My diet was great, lots of stretching, icing and sleeping to go with the training.

I'm gonna have to have a talk with the boyfriend though. Make sure he knows I can't go out to eat all the time (takes too much time and harder for me to get the food I need and stay away from the beer). I'm sure he'll be cool with it, he's been there too.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 7/7/08 [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since I can't run, I've been working on my biking. Had my longest bike week ever - almost 140 miles. Also did 4+ hours of aqua jogging (fingers crossed I can start running again next week) and almost 9000 yards of swimming. Did all scheduled workouts in full, so A for workouts.
But, drank too much and ate way too many desserts. D for nutrition.

Team Danbury Audi - Triplet Mommy!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was tapering for Lake Stevens last week, so it was all about short workouts and resting. I missed a swim and a bike because I had shifted my work schedule to take an extra day off, but overall felt good about the workouts and tried pretty successfully to eat well and get lots of sleep. Then yesterday was Lake Stevens, you can read the extremely lengthy race report here. Short version, I didn't meet my time goal, (7:49 as opposed to 7:30) but still had a good day and learned what I need to do to improve for next time. (Plus I still beat last year's PR time of 8 hours, so I've got that going for me... )

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread - 7/7/08 [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good week training-wise - got all planned workouts in, did longest bike ride of year so far, felt great. Two out & backs, each "lap" got faster, without actually consciously trying to do that. Hmmmm... maybe I should be trying for it? might get even faster? :-)

Knees still tender and a little achy after fall last week so took it easy with running. Trying to not worry about it.

BAD BAD week food-wise - July 4th weekend and all...

Mediocre week stretching/core-wise. Was not feeling motivated and a lot of the stretches hurt still-unhappy knees.

This week:
longer long ride with more hills
EAT VEGGIE/FRUIT/GRAIN etc. "good" food
stretch/core 3 times whether or not I "feel" motivated
of course do all other workouts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goals for Last Week:

1) Have fun and ride all 4 days I plan to be at Cheese Hell Week. -- I road 3 out of 4 due to the threat of bad weather on Day 4. I road 70 miles on day 1, a 55 mile plus a 40 minute run Brick on day 2 and 2 loops of the IM WI course (80 miles) on Day 3. Did a 1.5 hour run in Day 4 instead of the 3 hour ride I had planned due to the threat of bad storms and I was just plain old tired of being on the bike. Grade B+ mainly because I was able to successfully ride a large portion of the IM WI course without too much pain after having 120 miles or so on my legs from the previous 2 days.

2) Watch diet and stay on track while away from home for a 5 day weekend. -- I was down another pound on my Thurs weigh in (yeah) but this weekend was a wash. I tried to control my diet but the city we were staying in only had fast food joints. I hope I balanced out all of my workout hours and calories.

Goals for this week:
1) complete all workouts
2) don't freak out if scale says evil things on Thursday

Good luck to everyone this week!

Quote Reply