Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disappointing 1/2 IM....
Quote | Reply
Hi all,
I have been doing triathlons for several years and have completed several 1/2 IM's and IM's. I lost alot of speed the past 4-5 years. I use to be alot faster. I think I mostly slowed after so many races and lack of proper training...We (hubby and I) did several long races in a row, lost our jobs, got new jobs, lost them, got new jobs again, stopped using a coach and I went back to school to change careers (became a nurse). The past few IM's we have been 13 hrs +- (dismal results after an 11 hr PR). I still trained but not consistently nor with any speedwork. I finally decided that we needed not only a group to train with but a coach so we started using a coach approximately 4 months ago. It is a group of really fast triathletes who qualify for world championship races and place in the top 3 in their AG at nearly every race and I am by far the slowest (there are only two other people who are slower than me and they don't attend most workouts!!). My recent 1/2 IM was 25 minutes faster than last year but still slow (6:10) for my age group (45-49).

I don't know what to tell the people I workout with when they ask about my races because I feel like a slow poke and I know I will never be as fast as some of them (in some cases they are also alot younger than me) nor place in the top 10 in my AG or qualify for anything anytime soon.

I feel frustrated and pathetic, however, I think that this is just where I am right now. I follow the training plan and continue working out with the group ( I still get my butt kicked on bike rides but at least now I can keep up some people).
Can you hear me now?

Can you hear me now?
Quote Reply
Re: Disappointing 1/2 IM.... [Griffen_Gal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a former ranked triathlete in the Northwest and a fastee myself back in the day, I'm now 15 pounds heavier (after having kids and being lazy about working it off). I stopped doing triathlons after I had kids because I was afraid what other people would think of me. I'm doing my first triathlon (sprint) in 3 years this Saturday!! I'm in no way trained up for it (and its a sprint so that is bad) but I don't care. The bottom line is that I LOVE the sport. I love everything about it. I'll most likely end up finishing at the back of the pack (or even possibly last) but I'm going to finish with a big OL SMILE on my face.

Be proud of where you are in life. Don't make excuses for being slower to your fastee friends. It's OK!!! You love the sport, give your all to it (even if that 'all' is different as compared to what it used to be).

We are our own worst critic. It's hard not to compare "who Leslie used to be" to "who leslie is now"...but I tell you. I have 2 beautiful little girls that remind me each and every day that being a bit fatter and slower is worth it.

Here's to the NOW and being INSPIRED by it (no matter what the damn clock says).

Leslie

Quote | Reply
Especially within the confines of a training group, most people don't really care about your speed relative to them - if they're asking, it's because they care about you.

25min is a great improvement over last year! Be proud of what you've accomplished, and don't worry about being "the slowest one in the group". You're the only one who notices, I'm sure.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HEy Gg.... Cheer up! How many people do you know(outside of triathlon) that can even finish a half Im? Really nobody cares about your times like you do.

25 mins faster is great!! Most athletes would be so pumped up to hear you took 25 mins off your half. IF they are not happy for you do you really want to be friends with them anyway?

Don't get discouraged! Triathlon is hard work. Just keep working at it and your times will come down more.

Make a list of all the positive things triathlon does for YOU ie keep off weight, spend time with hubby, have fun...bring the list out and remind yourself why you love the sport so much
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the same things sometimes. When my speedy friends ask, I have started to just say what my time was, flat out. I say one thing that went well for me, and then one thing I could do better. Almost always, my training group responds with, "that's awesome!" I used to make excuses for my average or sub-average times, and be hesitant to reveal that yup, it took me 7 hours to do that Half IM.

I guess for me it took realizing that the negative talk I was hearing in the question totally wasn't there at all, PLUS, I wasn't giving my tri friends even the opportunity to be supportive when I was so embarassed about my results. Also, its completely fine to be disappointed in a result. If its something that I control, then it goes in the "to be worked on" pile. If its something outside of my control, then maybe (hopefully) there's something I can learn from it; but if not, I work hard not to internalize, or to make the disappointing result characterize me.

Still working on it. Let your tri friends give you support, and believe them when they tell you it was a good job!
Quote Reply
Re: Disappointing 1/2 IM.... [wolffpack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wolffpack - I loved your positive comments. I'm doing a race this weekend that I could possibly be last. You really put it in perspective.
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Disappointing 1/2 IM.... [diva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's to last place. :)
Good luck in your race. May you be smiling the entire time.

Quote | Reply
Girlfriend, I HEAR YOU!

I spent the weekend of Ironman Coeur d'Alane with the overall women's amature winner, a 26 year old male pro racing his first IM and a long time top 5 age grouper.

I finished 5.25 hours after the first finisher in the house and 4.25 hours after the third to last finisher in the house. Yes, I was the last finisher in the house. I always am.

I decided a long time ago that I can't race by anybody else's standards. When someone asks how my race went I never tell them how long it took me, just an overall "Great! I had fun, set a PR on the xx, so I'm happy with my performace." or "Eh, I could have done better." I give a summary sentence about the experience because that is what is really important to all of us. My friends really don't care how long it took me, only how I feel about it.

You completely own your race experience. It isn't anyone else's so it is only you who matter. Don't compare yourself to anyone, including you! You are back into it from a long absense and now you need to rebuild. You are not the same person you were before all of these life changes and holding yourself to that same standard is going to suck all of the fun out of it for you.

Be nice to yourself. Treat yourself like you are your favorite person in the whole world. You would cheer her on no matter how she did so do that for yourself!

I get on a bit of a rant about this because I deal with it every time I train. It is had to hang out with "better" athletes but I have found that many times they see me as the better athlete because I have to be just a little tougher than the good ones. Everyone loves a winner, not everyone loves those of us coming across the finish line when they are packing up. We have to love what we are doing enough to not give a shit and ignore those who see their finish time as a numerical valuation of themselves.

Now go look cute in your tri suit and kick some ass!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: jenhs: Jul 1, 08 20:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can totally relate. Once upon a time I was a decent triathlete. Life, Bebe, Work, and stupid Thyroid all got in the way. I am back at racing and slower than ever, but I am enjoying my time more than I expected. My little girl wants to do what I do - and that just melts me. When she's at the finish line, wow, it makes it all worthwhile. I may not place anymore, heck I am a solid MOPer, but to her, I am her hero. I'll get faster when I am ready. In the meantime I am just enjoying the road I am on.

It's hard. I do know that. But some of the things triathlon has taught me is to accept my limitations, to strive to improve myself, to be realistic, that everyone's goals and achievements stand alone.

Hang in there. I've been dead last before and I learned a lot from that experience. Every race will teach you something new about yourself.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of great advice & encouragement already. Specifically, I'd take a look at whether this coach and group are right for you. If they are helping you feel good and achieve goals, then stick with them. If they're just adding pressure and making you feel inadequate then maybe a different training set up would make you feel better?

Overall, I've found triathletes to be so supportive. I'd bet those who are asking about your race are genuinely interested in how you felt about it. The truly self-centered probably wouldn't even bother to ask.

Good luck!

----
Suffering on the the bike is always more fun than suffering on the run.
Quote Reply