Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Don't call me sweetie! [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be a little careful about that. What you are seeing is a generational thing and probably not meant as an insult. Actually, your comeback sounds terribly insulting depending upon the situation. We have an 86 year old guy (yes, a vet who flew B-17 bombers in WWII) who comes into our office and calls all the ladies doll, sweetie etc. He's not being condenscending, quite the opposite. My Grandma used to finish ever sentence to me with "honey." It was so cute and I miss that terribly now that she is gone. So save the witty "Actually my name is.." comment for when you are dead certain someone is being uppity with you and be careful with the older guys.

Re: Don't call me sweetie! [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can see your point, but this man you are referring to is actually being condescending in calling women dolls & sweetie, etc. He may not mean it to be, but it is. It's rude. My comeback is about the least insulting it could be. I could say, "Look asshole, don't call me sweetie" or something like that. Would that be better? I am at no point trying to be witty with giving my name, I'm suggesting that the person call me by my name.

I think your grandma calling you honey is a completely different situation. That's family... I think almost every parent/grandparent out there has some kind of "pet" name for their child. Mine was "Dear" (though that may have been "Deir" as my name is Deirdre).

Quote | Reply
I guess "condescending" is one of those things where you know it when you hear it.

In general though, for those "old guys" it's just a manner of speech from their era. I wish I had a dollar for every time I have heard our old guy say to my wife "doll, you look like a million bucks today." She loves it.

Re: Don't call me sweetie! [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess "condescending" is one of those things where you know it when you hear it.

Definitely. I don't mind it as a term of endearment (and let's face, I am quite endearing), but I know when I'm being talked down to.

In college when I was cocktail waitressing there was a regular who would sit at the end of the bar. He kept callingme cupcake. It was condescending so much as creepy. One day I told him if he ever called me that again I was going to knock him off his bar stool. The bartender piped up and said "rather than having to bail Katy out of jail, I'm going to 86 you if you keep it up". Yay awesome bartender.

I often call my coworkers "pumpkin", they don't seem to mind.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: Don't call me sweetie! [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Quote:
Alright, it's killing me... why the heck are your posts sooooo huge?!?
Because I am a HUGE bun-ality!!! Bwahahahahaha!!!!

Huh! I guess size does matter.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Re: Don't call me sweetie! [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm an ED physician and sweetie and honey drive me crazy too particularly when it's patients (I'm always respectful and call people Mr/Ms and ask if I can use their first name). Now, I just smile and say, "I'd prefer if you call me Dr. Sweetie (or Dr. Honey)". They get the point and usually apologize.

On my first day of a new job about 10 years ago, I was sitting at a computer workstation waiting to get sign-out from Doug, the doc I was relieving. He said to me, "Hey baby, you're in my seat". WTF, I never met this guy before and he's calling me baby? Before it even registered, I said "ooooh, Dougie has a fresh mouth. If you want to call me baby, I'm calling you Dougie Fresh". Of course, the whole ED overheard this and 10 years later, everyone still calls him Dougie Fresh (and no one calls me baby). Turns out he was calling the nurses "baby" too and they hated it. I made a lot of friends that day.
Quote Reply
Re: Don't call me sweetie! [eddiep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I HATE being called baby. My answer is "You didn't raise me and you didn't put me through school, so don't call me baby".
Quote Reply
Re: Don't call me sweetie! [Danno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In this case...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate sweetie but my ex called my Sunshine. It was the cutest thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know what you mean about being condescending. Northerners use a lot of familiarities in their speech that sounds that way to the ear of those less used to it. "There you go, my love or my duck or my lover" grind on me when merely buying a loaf of bread!

If it were in the context of a truck driver I would feel the same in your position. I'm glad you didn't get hit during the commute.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Don't call me sweetie! [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Julian, you can call me sweetie, baby or love anytime ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Don't call me sweetie! [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aw shucks, you've got me all embarressed, Erin!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the kid (15 maybe?) at the coffee shop called me HUN last week. 'scuse me?? These days I could probably pass as his grandmother!
Quote Reply

Prev Next