Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

alternate knee testing methods???
Quote | Reply
Hi I posted this in the main and did not get much of a response and upon some reflection decided that I would probably do better to hear from women who have had knee problems than the "boys"....soo

Does anyone know what other options are available for diagnosing knee disorders (probable torn meniscus) when MRI is contraindicated?

I have heard one option called an arthrogram....has anyone had this? Is it painful? Are you awake for the procedure? Is there anything given for anxiety? how soon can activities resume? any information would be helpful where this is concerned.

Also, has anyone had any experience with prolotherapy? mensiscus tear surgery?

I am consulting a physician and seeing a physical therapist but wanted to have some homework done before we met again as well as some first hand testimonials for my own peace of mind.

thanks for the help,
Quote Reply
Re: alternate knee testing methods??? [wickedcheezit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey I had meniscus surgery in oct 2006. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...scus%20tear;#1059947

I was actually dx'd before the MRI. I mean we "all" (coach, MD, massage therapist and me) knew it before it was confirmed by MRI.

My Coach was able to pretty much dx over the phone.

I pulled the ortho MD aside at work one day and he said after few mins of looking me over that it was probably a meniscus tear.

My massage therapist did a few maneuvers with my leg that are positive tests for a tear.

Sorry I never heard of the other tests. Do a search as I have written more about recovery and post op. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Quote Reply
Re: alternate knee testing methods??? [wickedcheezit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a basic/simple test that a massage therapist (at least one with a more clinical background) or a PT can do... it's called the Apley's Grind test. But I would assume that they may have already done this? Or other tests for possible collateral ligament (LCL/MCL) problems?

You are basically lying on your stomach with your affected knee flexed to 90 degrees. The therapist then applies pressure to the bottom of your foot and proceeds to internally and externally rotate your knee. Hopefully you can picture this? If there is a 'grinding' noise or recreation/increase of the pain you have been experiencing, then you likely have a torn meniscus.

Then again, you didn't really specify what kind of pain/symptoms you've been having.
Quote Reply