Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swollen Hands...
Quote | Reply
When I run longer than an hour, my hands swell-up as if they are retaining water. No matter the weather, my fingers look bloated. Its not painful, just concerns me that my fingers are twice their size after long runs. Does this happen to anyone else? If so, what causes it. When I run long I ensure I am hydrated and I take salt pills when the weather calls for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Swollen Hands... [ugogrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happens to me quite a bit, esp in warm weather.

I just hold them up after I run and it resolves. I attribute it to my body's way of trying to cool off.

I'd be worried if it didn't go away.

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Re: Swollen Hands... [LovePugs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ditto with LovePugs. My hands almost always swell during an hour plus run (especially in warm weather). Sometimes it looks like I've had an allergic reaction! But, it usually disappears in about 1/2 to 1 hour. I've tried changing my salt intake, water intake, etc but it does not seem to help. It does not bother me...it's just a bit disconcerting.

Team Danbury Audi - Triplet Mommy!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happens to me all the time, and it't the reason why I don't run with my wedding and engagement rings on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at your electrolyte balance as well. Swelling can be an indication of needing salt. You may be a salty sweater. Try taking an extra salt tab. It is hard to over salt because your body just pees out the extra.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: jenhs: Jun 23, 08 20:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I have noticed that too on my long runs. I also wonder if the centrifugal force from swinging my arms slows blood return to the heart, plus my hands not getting much action, just kinda the lightly curled fist.

Only other time it happens besides long runs, is long walks on the beach in Texas. (humidity?) (long walks here don't cause it)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happens to me too. And even moreso on a ride longer than 3 h. By the end of an IM I have ten sausages on my hands, it's gross.

Sorry I can't help you prevent it, I can only commiserate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still happening?

You should have some electrolyte testing done right after you work out. A friend of mine gained 13 lbs last year in Kona. She was drinking water and taking salt tablets the whole time. When she went to the med tent they did some test and found out she was low on potassium. Her body kept telling her she needed something so she was taking a lot of salt tablets and retained a ton of water. Took her a couple days before she wasn't swollen all over.
Quote Reply
Re: Swollen Hands... [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Happens to me all the time, and it't the reason why I don't run with my wedding and engagement rings on.

same here. i will "swell" in my legs and stomach too. then it goes away after a bit.

i think it's the body's way of trying to hold onto water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find that as I'm running, if I consciously make a tight fist and relax and repeat 5-10 times about every 10 minutes, it helps relieve some of that swelling. Also, when walking (to the beach walker here) if you pick up a small rock (big enough to fit in the palm of your hand though) and as you walk, occasionaly squeezw the rock, it will help keep the swelling down. It seems as though it gets the blood flowing out of my hands since they are in relatively the same place for a long period of time. Also raising your arms and hands over your head on occasion and making fists also works to get the blood flowing out the hands. Learned these tricks from my parents who are avid hikers/walkers. It's worth trying at least.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: Swollen Hands... [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies--I was beginning to think I was alone in my plight! I think I'm gonna try to the 'squeeze and release' method and see how it goes. For awhile I tried to run with my fingertips pointing upwards in an effort to try to releive the swelling--but its not a good look! It looked like I was trying to dry my nails! As for the electrolyte test, I need to see if there is a sports doc in the area I can hook-up with. I have been slightly hesitant with my use of salt tablets ever since a bad gastro-incident with Lava Salts a few years back! I found out the hard way that you need to take plenty of water with each tablet! :-) Either way, I have also been slowly adding salt to my daily diet. Since I will be running in the 150% humidity in Ft Walton Beach for the next 2 years--I will keep you posted on what works to reduce "sausage fingers"!
Quote Reply
Re: Swollen Hands... [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep, I totally agree with JenHs on this one. It is primarily a salt imbalance usually towards too much hydration from what I've read. I took salt tabs this weekend on my long runs (thank God) and my hands were alot less swollen the last couple of miles in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so glad you posted this as well. I've been dealing with the same issue and had just written it off as "something to deal with" on long runs. I'll try adding a salt tab to the mix as well as the fist/squeezing thing.

Thanks again ladies!

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Swollen Hands... [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any recommendations on salt tabs and/or a sports drink with a good balance of electrolytes/sodium? I have been taking Endurolyte (sp?) Salt Tablets and drinking a Cytomax Endurance power/drink. There are so many options out there--just trying to narrow down my search.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nuun tablets can get me through about 65-70 miles on the bike. they're great.
Quote Reply