Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A funny story from Lake Stevens
Quote | Reply
I had a chance yesterday to ride the Lake Stevens bike course (especially since that weird glowing orb was in the Pacific Northwest sky!) and my non-triathlete friend came along with me. While I was out on the course, she was cruising around the little town next to the lake and went in to the little coffee place that's right across from the swim/transition area. While there, she got to chatting with the barista who told her the following story:

Apparently, last year was this woman's first year at said coffee place while the race was in town and she was surprised by the number of folks in town for the race. The day before the race, this "really hot guy" comes into the coffee place and she gets to wait on him. :-) He asks her what time they were planning to open the next morning, to which she replies "7:00 am." He suggests she might want to open at 5 and she's skeptical but thinks what the heck, why not - maybe I'll get to see "hot guy" again. So she gives him his coffee and doesn't expect to see him again.

The next morning, she opens at five and by 5:05 there's a huge line, at the front of which, to her surprise, is "hot guy." She greets him and thanks him for the tip on opening early and goes about her day. Later on, she learns that "hot guy" WON THE RACE. "Hot guy" turns out to be Chris Legh!! He later calls the coffee shop to thank her for opening early and later even sends a little autographed postcard, so is either flirting with the cute barista girl or is a super-nice guy.

It was a funny story, especially when relayed to me from one non-triathlon person to my friend, and because of that infamous Gatorade commercial - they both knew who he was.

Oh, and for those who are doing the race for the first time - the bike course is freakin' gorgeous! (Assuming that the weather cooperates!) I still don't quite understand how the swim start works, but otherwise I'm really looking forward to it.

Michelle

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: A funny story from Lake Stevens [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm totally excited. Mixed with totally freaking out about doing it! Glad to hear it's beautiful, though I assumed it would be :) And what an awesome story too.

Quote | Reply
That's a great story. I'm looking forward to the race (as long as I'm not still sick). I might even take up coffee so I can see a hot guy that morning.

What's the unknown about the swim start?

Also, will we be able to swim on the course on Fri/Sat?
Quote Reply
Re: A funny story from Lake Stevens [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For some reason, I thought the swim start was off of a dock, but the only one I saw had a big old fence on it. There is a spot that a police boat was docked, that might be the spot. If it isn't off of a dock, there is also access from the shore - so the confusion might just be me. I'm hoping someone who's done the race before will weigh in on that. I'm sure we'll be able to swim the course on Fri/Sat, but there were some jet skis out on the water in the afternoon, so you'll want to keep an eye out for that. (Though I'm sure things are going to be ALOT different come race weekend!)

Coffee place was good. I can also recommend the Chicken Drive-in that's right next to the race start. Great burgers/fries and what looked like good milkshakes, though I didn't try them. Hey, we need to refuel, right? :-D

M

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I can also recommend the Chicken Drive-in that's right next to the race start. Great burgers/fries and what looked like good milkshakes, though I didn't try them. Hey, we need to refuel, right? :-D
GAH! Exactly the stuff I'm trying to avoid! Damn you :P

Quote | Reply
I'm sorry! I meant that place is totally evil and you'll definitely get ebola. Avoid at all costs!

(Though they did have homade taco shells as a special and my friend and I enjoyed speculating on why they'd have ho's making taco shells, so maybe there's something to help you!)

M

Quote Reply
Re: A funny story from Lake Stevens [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just have to avoid it until after the race. I guess since there's no In and out Burger in the area, it might be my post race food.
Quote Reply
Re: A funny story from Lake Stevens [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say it's right up there with In & Out (of which I'm a huge fan) so it should be an acceptable substitute.

M

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still have yet to enjoy the miracle that is in & out burger. One day...
I'm still toying with the idea of racing as an Athena lol. I mean my cat's name is Athena, so it's only appropriate. Right? :D

Quote | Reply
Athena is a GREAT cat name. She was also my favorite Greek god(des) when I was a kid. (Yes, I was a huge dork... )

M

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming the swim start is the same as two years ago (last year I was getting married the weekend of the race...Lake Stevens is actually on my 1 year anniversary and hubby is also racing which seems fitting since we met at NYC tri...side note: anyone have any good anniversary gift ideas?) then the swim start will be off the dock that you likely saw the police boat on. The dock I remember went out from the shore into the water and then once it got deep enough it turned perpendicular from shore and that's the part you start from. Not sure if any of what i just said makes sense. If I remember correctly the swim finish was the shore area next to the dock. The lake is also a great place to cool down and "sponge" off after the race if you're driving home that same day.

Two years ago the race was during a big water recreation weekend up in Lake Stevens and they were having speed boat races (more like speed boat agility) on the course the day before while some swimmers (myself included) were getting in to warm up and I kept waiting for a nasty little collision to happen. So yes, the lake is indeed big enough for a tri if it's also big enough for the speedboat agility-type contest.

great story...

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year I trained up there a couple weeks before the race and we warned that exact same espresso place to open early. Apparently you have to be a hottie for them to listen :-)

Yes, the swim is off of the big dock you see at the park. If memory serves me correct there is a small dock that juts off of it to the right and that is the actual start. Everything is a bit hazy for me so take that with a grain of salt.

I'm looking forward to making the trek up and seeing ya'll race!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm sorry! I meant that place is totally evil and you'll definitely get ebola. Avoid at all costs!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: A funny story from Lake Stevens [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhh, the elusive power of hotness... :-D Thanks for the info on the swim start, ladies - that makes sense.

I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone!

M

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
          Chris is a realy nice guy with a hot wife and a great little family and it would seem that he has the same affect on coffee shops in every town.At IMCDL in 2004 the lady behind the counter at one cafe was just going off about Chris when she realised I was an Aussie.All the girs wanted to know when he was going to turn up.I managed to have a couple of beers with him at an NAS drinking session after the weekend was done and he is in fact a really nice,down to earth guy and yes he did laugh when I told him we hated him 'cause he has such a hot missus.
Quote Reply