Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tom D must be PISSED!!!
Quote | Reply
First someone (I forget who) flags a fraudulent Ebay "seller" leveraging off Tom's hard work and love for the sport in order to rip off innocent people who don't know better than to ask a lot of questions prior to dropping 2k on-line.

Then, I see his latest editorial (http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/...orials/0000025.shtml). Man, I really hope that it never comes to that. I understand why and all, but "boy would that suck" doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of that. And for the record, I don't benefit from any of those sponsorships - I live in Vancouer, BC. Still, I'd hate to see that happen.

Maybe a Yaqui will show up and brighten his day. Or someone will come by and grab a kitten. I dunno - I just hope your day gets better, Tom.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Lawyers here, would being an LLC not prevent [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this very situation from occuring.

The 2 I have worked for have done this for this very reason.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom D must be PISSED!!! [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, Tom. What's the rider's name?? :-))
Quote Reply
for the love of god there's only one 'o' in lose {nm} [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
{nm}
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Khai, I also from Vancouver, who do you ride with out here? Today seems like the perfect day to go for a ride, with helmet!

Re: Lawyers here, would being an LLC not prevent [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not necessarily. Conducting business via an LLC (same general analysis for a corporation) generally provides the owners of the entity with protection against what is known as vicarious liability, but not against liability for the owner's personal negligence, etc. So, if the plaintiff could prove Tom's PERSONAL negligence, he's still liable personally.

As is often the case, the easiest way to distinguish is with an example. I'm an attorney and one of the owners of the LLC through which we conduct our practice. If I commit malpractice, the LLC is liable because I was working on its behalf when I did so. I am also personally liable, however. If one of my partners on the other side of the office commits malpractice on a matter in which I had no involvement (assuming that I had no reason to suspect he was incompetent, etc., etc. and a lot of other things that a clever plaintiff's attorney could think of), the LLC of which I am an owner would be liable and the atty who committed malpractice would be personally liable, but I would not be personally liable for his malpractice.

Disclaimer: I'm probably not licensed to practice law wherever you are, nor should this be construed as legal advice. :).
Quote Reply
Re: Lawyers here, would being an LLC not prevent [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't there somthing about "assumed risk" in all of this as well? Though I guess I could see a lawyer claiming a ride leader was negligent if they let a rider join without a helmet. And, of course, even if the ride leader "wins" the case they're still probably out 10k in attorney fees.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom D must be PISSED!!! [SimpleS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey SimpleS. I've ridden (very occasionally) with the UBC Tri-Club, but for the past 6 months have been more or less sequestered, and have been forced to put my training on the shelf for a while. (I'm taking a 7.5 month intensive programming course that crams a normal college/university semester course into 1 week.) Hopefully I'll be able to get a little time to train in the summer, as the intensive course is over and I can go back to regular full time school. :p I'd better - I'm up 15-20lbs since August!

Where do you train?

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Khai, I too use to ride with Pacific Spirit gave up membership this yr, found I never trained with them, but nice bunch of people. Currently ride with a small group of friends, when the race gets nearer ride with the wife mostly. Tend to do the normal Kits to Richmond or Horseshoe Bay. Every now and again I get out to Valley to ride either with Coquitalm Tri Club or do 0 Avenue. Swim out at Watermania. Curently, riding twice a weekend, as we just did IM NZ taking it easy for another week or so. Care to join us for a nice gently ride to Steveston on Sunday's for coffee?? Drop me a line.