Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The woman's "gut"...
Quote | Reply
"Gut feeling," that is. Just a reminder to all that as women we have been given a special gift - call it 'intuition,' 'gut feeling' - call it whatever you want, but when you get it - trust it and go with it.

Last night my 2 year old (with yucky cold of a day in a half) had a horrible night. She was breathing rapidly and struggling to get air. My gut feeling told me to take her to the ER. I didn't listen to it. I didn't want to overreact (because I'm known to at times).

Went to the Dr. first thing this morning and she was in a borderline emergency condition. Oxygen levels were low, heart rate was very high. Luckily a breathing treatment brought up her oxygen levels. Doc told me that if anything similar happens again - get her to the ER.

After a chest x-ray she was diagnosed with a pretty bad case of pneumonia. She was able to come home with us (rather than being admitted to the hospital) since her oxygen levels did come up a bit, but have to go back tomorrow for an evaluation pre-weekend to make sure she isn't getting any worse.

With that said, no matter what you are experiencing (pain from training, sickness, big decision times, whatever)...LISTEN to what your gut is telling you and trust it no matter what.

Health to all..

Quote | Reply
Glad to hear your kiddo is OK. Good reminder for us to listen to our intuition. I can't count how many times it has saved my butt.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: The woman's "gut"... [wolffpack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gald everything is ok!! Hope she bounces back quick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can completely relate! My daughter, age nine, complained one Saturday morning that her ear was hurting. I knew the Drs office was only open until noon. When I mentioned taking her, my husband convinced me I was worrying over nothing. Her ear was so infected the ear drum burst. The jagged hole did not repair itself and this ended with a surgery which had complications for months. Never, again. I could have spared her the pain, the surgery, not swimming for a year, if I had followed my mother's intuition and taken her to the Dr immediately. Who cares if they think we worry too much? Better safe than sorry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scary stuff. I'm glad she's okay. Parenting can be downright hair-raising at times.

On a somewhat different topic, I once attended a seminar on the prevention of child sexual abuse. Turns out, as you might expect, that most molestation cases aren't attacks, but are the result of someone who is close to the child gaining that child's trust and then abusing it. The gal who ran the seminar told us all to trust our gut -- when an adult is spending too much time with a child or is acting in a way that sets off our radar -- call him out; tell him to stay away. She said too many of us are concerned with being labeled as over-reacting or over-protective moms. When it comes to threats to our children's health and safety, I don't think we can be too careful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So glad you're little one is OK now.

I am with you - something tells us when something is wrong, and we need to listen. In the few times I've ignored my intuition, I have regretted it. Now as a parent, I always listen.

I feel like sometimes with the Drs we are judged as either psycho for showing up with them when they're not really that sick or neglectful because we waited too long.. it's so hard to know sometimes.

My mom once showed up to physicals for the five of us and the middle child was blind in one eye (lazy eye) and had a broken arm (fell off the bed that morning.) Talk about going to the Dr. and feeling neglectful..

There's an excellent, although frightening, book called The Gift of Fear about trusting your instinct.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heh-heh, I thought from the title of this thread it was going to be another one about muffin tops...
Quote Reply
Re: The woman's "gut"... [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply