Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Racing during base
Quote | Reply
How many of you race during base training. If you do race during a base period do you limit your HR? Have you ever used a race as an indicator workout. The reason I ask is that I am considering doing my first tri of the season next week and due to some previous set backs I am still doing some base miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing during base [Stewart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my opinion, I think it's good to throw in an occasional running, swimming or multi-sport event during base. I think it helps keep you fresh and is a motivator because it's a fun change of pace from the long base miles. Just remember that it isn't a priority race, so don't bother with a normal taper that will reduce the number of very important base miles you're putting in. Just look at it as a treat, have fun and pace yourself according to how you feel that day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've wondered about this, too. I'm no exercise physiologist, but, I don't think it matters. I mean, how could going hard one day "undo" the longer and slower heart-rate limited work? I don't adhere to that philosophy in practice. I've even heard people say that you'd better not exceed the "HR du jour" during a workout because you'll actually end up setting yourself back! I don't see how that would be so, unless by going above the HR limit you tire out and don't get the long slow workout finished, or it hurts your total weekly mileage.

If I have three hours to get my longest ride in, and I feel really good that day, I'll ride slowly for a while then intersperse it with periods where I go at a much harder pace (race pace, or just above race pace), and I try to finish with 15-30 minutes at the slower pace. At least I'm having fun riding my bike, and I get to ride further this way. I don't feel like I'm hurting my performances this way...but, then again, I'm not in the habit of doing races that take longer than 2 1/2 hours anyway. I rarely run more than 1 hour, unless it is in a race...I'm afraid it will cost too much in recovery than I could gain by running longer. I'm not an elite either...those people may be able to run much further without hurting their recovery abilities...that's one of the reasons they are elites!

I do have a 1/2 ironman coming up, so, I'll need to do a two hour ride with an hour long run, but, I'll probably do this at race pace or just a bit faster. I'm just not a fan of staying at a low HR all day long because: I don't have all day, slow is boring, boring is tiring, I'd rather get tired working harder, if I can stand to work harder for several hours, going easier in a race that will last somewhat longer periods than I'm used to, seems to be a piece of cake, nutritional problems are magnified at higher effort levels...so I might be able to weed out things that are on the borderline to bother me on the longer races. I've not done an Ironman...I'd concede there are probably very good reasons to train long and longer and longer and slower...that's a different animal than just doing 1/2's, Olympics, and Sprints.

Race on, man! Just go back and get your base in. And, re-base every once in a while (just not for nearly as many weeks as your first base) so you don't get overtrained.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on where I am in my 'base'. I don't really follow a rigidly defined base - build - speed plan, it is much looser than that and is really a matter of emphasis at various points during the year.

I would not race at all if I'm less than about a month into base (and have been slacking off for a while). not because racing will ruin the base, it won't, but the risk of injury is too high. To me, base miles are really about building strength in muscles and connective tissues to handle some more intense stuff later on. If I've been going for more than a month, I would race if I felt like it, low key stuff, and train through it. Also, expectations should be relatively low for those races, perhaps only emphasise a specific segment and cruise the rest, or work on pacing (run each km in a 5k within 5 seconds), nutrition strategies, etc. In other words, do the event, but treat it as a hard training session rather than a race.

That's how I approach it. Your mileage may vary, please read all warnings.

J.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stewart, where I live, we have lots of snow 4-5 months a year. I use the winter to put in base miles for triathlon by essentially running and XC skiing. I do around 5 XC ski races in the winter. They are all high intensity races (155-180 bpm) lasting around 50K. I don't do any intervals to get ready for them, but I put in lots of long slow miles in on the skis and run. I treat my ski races as high intensity sessions to get my engine and mental side ready for tri racing. Don't get me wrong, I push these ski races, but I don't do any intervals to get ready for them.

In April, I transition over to more biking and swimming all Zone 1 base stuff. I'll also run the Boston marathon in April, again on base miles (i.e. no high HR intervals). I will do lots of low HR, high speed downhill running to get my body ready for the hills of Boston. I won't do any High HR intervals on the swim, bike or run until late May. My first few tris are in June then Ironman LP in July, so there is still lots of time to get ready.

If I were you, I would stick with base work and throw in the odd "B" or "C" race in without any interval work. These events in themselves provide you with interval training for your "A" race...which I assume is later in the year. If you read "Training for Endurance Athletes" by Phil Maffetone, you can get a good overview of how much you can achieve by base work only.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing during base [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stewart, go ahead and race. People get all bent out of shape following HRs, base training etc. You might be surprised at how fit and fast you can actually get on just base training. My first couple of races are really the only threshold or higher workouts I tend to do early season. I've never had a problem running or riding fast and have even won a few early season duathlons and TT's off of base only. Have fun, after all one race won't throw your season into a tailspin. Don't worry just go do it.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Racing during base [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, I'm glad I didn't get all blown out of the water (yet) about recommending Stewart to go ahead and race. THere are so many people that act as if it is worse than a sin to exceed 65% of a calculated maximum HR for the first 68 days and 3 hours of base training, for fear that the neuro-muscular synapses in your legs will atrophy quicker than an ice cream cone in South Texas in July. There may be good reason to be so structured about it, I just don't follow those strict recommendations in real life.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply