Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

uh-oh injured - what to do?
Quote | Reply
Starting last Monday after my long run, I felt a sharp pain in the top of my left foot. I laid off the running and it started to feel a bit better, but made the mistake of running 1.5 miles on Friday (till it hurt again) and now I can't put any weight on it. I was able to get to my orthopedic on Friday and had X-rays done - luckily no stress fracture which is what he thought it was -he said I could race Alcatraz next weekend if I didn't do any running before hand.
Here is the tricky part - I am entered in a sprint race tomorrow (first tri of season) It's a tune up race and to get the jitters out before Alcatraz (next weekend). Do I just skip out on the race? Or just do the swim and bike? Which don't seem to bother it - though a bit worried about the runs through T1 and T2...
Any advice? Ugh...this is sooo frustrating..my OW swim race last week got canceled and now this...not off to a good start.

Team Danbury Audi - Triplet Mommy!!!
Quote Reply
Re: uh-oh injured - what to do? [jellyfish1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it were me, I would skip the sprint and take Alcatraz for whatever it ends up being. If it's a great race with no pain, awesome. If it's a slower race and you feel some pain, awesome (at least you got yourself through it and enjoyed the experience as much as possible!!).
Did your ortho give you an idea of what the issue may be? Lots of stress fractures won't even show up in x-rays, which is why I ask.

Quote | Reply
I would skip the sprint unless you all ready paid for it. In that case I would go and do the swim and bike and then bike some more. Stress fx's don't always show up on xrays so I would be careful with Alcatraz as well. If you feel any pain on the run you have to have the strength to bail. You don't want to run the risk of having a complete fx and being out longer than planned. Good luck. I know it sucks being injured esp when you were so close to your race. I hope you are back at it soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
((((hugs))))

sharp pain on the top of your foot that you can't put weight on --- ask for a bone scan. Like other people have said, a sfx won't show up on an xray until it starts healing but you can tell earlier with a bone scan. They're relatively painless: they give you a shot of radioactive somethingorother and then you have to lay very very still for a couple hours.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: uh-oh injured - what to do? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the words of encouragement and advice. I took a total rest day today and will see how I feel about doing any part of the race tomorrow (already paid the $100 entry fee -race closed in January-and I can't get my $ back). I will definitely not run - but may do just the swim or the swim/bike and take it easy in transitions. If it feels like it does today, I'll just go and cheer.
I am planning on getting an MRI when I get back home (I leave Monday AM for Cali) and will ask about a bone scan then. This is the second time this has happened -last time was back in January. I looked back at my training notes and it lasted about a week then totally went away -actually ran a 20K race just 10 days after it happened. So, hopefully it will be back to normal soon.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good luck tomorrow and with getting an MRI - hopefully it'll go away like your last one.
tc

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today was my best DNF ever :)

Fastest swim split - :45 sec faster than next woman, second fastest bike split. Was winning by over 2 min when I stopped after T2 - all the spectators were like what are you doing? Your winning? It was a very weird experience.
Slow transitions because I walked - but had a lot of mistakes - like having bike in wrong gear to hop on so good things to think about for next weekend. Also forgot to check out the end of the bike leg to figure out when to take my shoes off - ended up having them out for waaay too long. Glad I did the race because I learned/remembered a lot of little things.

Foot already starting to feel better - so hopefully will be good as new for next weekend.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome news. You're in good shape for next weekend then. Got my fingers crossed for your foot to be feeling great and your race to be even better than this weekend's started! :)

Quote | Reply
oh wow! nice job.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job. I want to hear about Alcatraz afterwards! I did the race in '05 and would love to hear your story.

"You can't coast in running. When you coast, you just stop"
Quote Reply
Re: uh-oh injured - what to do? [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, the swim was awesome - then it all went downhill...
I had a great swim (27.23? -first amateur female) but had pain in my foot running through T1 so knew at that point I would not be able to do the run. Still planned on enjoying the bike ride, but as soon as I hopped on the bike I got excruciating cramps in my hamstrings - so bad I could not pedal and had to stop. After about 1/2 an hour the cramps still had not gone away so I officially DNFed. I was really bummed because the bike course looked awesome -guess I will have to try again another year. The race (or at least the beginning of it) was a great experience, similar, but on a much larger scale to the Escape to Bermuda tri I did last summer (both organized by IMG)
I am going to the docs tomorrow AM (i get back to CT tonight) so will hopefully get an idea of what it is then.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's broken :(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shoot! Is is a stress fx? Will you be able to water run?? Have you seen this before it may be helpful.

http://www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/water.shtml
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rest until it feels better. and make sure to stretch your feet and loosen the ties on your running shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh bummer! but at least you have awesome swim times! that will go a long way and soon you will be telling us how you won....

heal up

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
((((((hugs))))))) for jellyfish.

Get some calcium, and then some more calcium. The water run link someone posted is good, I have used that before (I water run sometimes instead of normal running , it is sfx avoidance for me).

How are you today?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone :)
I have a doc appt tomorrow to determine if I can do any aqua jogging -thanks PC for the link - it is awesome!

Hoping 1 mile OWS nationals next weekend is an in water start/finish - usually it is.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yay! First piece of good news I've received this week - even though I have a stress fracture my doc said it's OK to swim, aqua jog and bike (but no standing on hills and keep it in easier gears than normal) as long as my foot does not hurt doing these activities :)
Will have another X-ray in 2 weeks and will likely have the boot on for 5 weeks.
Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement. Printing out the aqua jog workout plan now!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
glad you can swim - I know you can get some endorphins from that :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good luck healing up, I hope it's a fast recovery.

I've been aquajogging some through my injury - I find that if I wear old running shoes and no belt/float I can actually get the HR up pretty darn high.

Take care of yourself :)

RR
Quote Reply
Re: uh-oh injured - what to do? [runlikeamother] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why do you wear shoes to water run?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little more drag/resistance/fighting gravity seems to help my get the HR up.. I'm still quite a bit lower than real running though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HR is lower in the pool due to water pressure or something like that (that's not it, but I can't think of the actual reason. maybe someone who knows will chime in - but there is a scientific reason your HR is lower in the water and it has nothing to do with the fact that you're not working hard or anything like that)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried the old sneakers method this AM - what a difference! I actually felt like I got something out of the workout and could get my HR up a little. It also seemed to help my stride -though still feel a bit awkward. Still had the belt on -if I take it off I find myself holding my breath to stay higher in the water. But maybe as I get more accustomed to this activity, I will loose it.
Thanks again everyone :)

Quote Reply