Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Biggest" 700c clincher tire, or 'easiest to mount'
Quote | Reply
Got the girlfriend into riding (!), which is great, but due to a few problems with the wheels, shoddy rim tape, bad luck, we have had to change more than a few flats recently. The rims/tire combo we have on there makes it IMPOSSIBLE to get the bead over the rim. This leads to many sore thumbs, and her being intimidated about changing the tire when I'm not there.

So...question is: What's the largest 700c tire out there (in other words, easiest to mount)? I know they're all supposed to conform to one standard or something, but as anyone who has put lots of different tires on lots of different wheels...that's BS. I also know there are some rims that have high brake surfaces...but due to financial constraints...no new rims!

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Re: "Biggest" 700c clincher tire, or 'easiest to mount' [stal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had pretty good luck when it comes to changing my Continental 3000's (which I think are now replaced with 4000).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized tires tend to be fairly easy. You could just put Armadillos Elite's on and she'll never flat so changing won't be an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not so much the tire - it's the tire and rim/wheel combo that matter. I generally have good luck with the the Michelin Pro Race tires. They go on my everyday wheels ( Velocity Aeroheads) very easily - rarely need tire irons to get them off and they go on easily without tire irons and very little effort. Another set of wheels we have kicking around is a set of Bontrager Race X Lites that I use for road races and faster harder group rides - with these wheels it is a bit more a struggle on/off with the Pro Race tires.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
25's are almost always easier to mount than 23's and while every brand differs, my own experience is that vredestein fortezzas are very easy to mount and the brand that gives me the most trouble have been vittorias.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply
Re: "Biggest" 700c clincher tire, or 'easiest to mount' [Tribato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was shockd at how easy it was to mount GP4000S tyres. I'm guessing that you're using a Pro race tyre which is the hardest to fit?
Quote Reply
Re: "Biggest" 700c clincher tire, or 'easiest to mount' [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you say it's the 'combo' that matters, I assume that you mean that some rims are 'bigger' than others. I coudln't agree more! Are you suggesting that there are other factors in play, other than braking surface height or actual circumference? Hmm.

If the only things that really matter are the actual circumference/brake surface height...then I think I am just looking for the 'loosest' clincher tire bead.

I'll try the conti 3000 in a 25 and post what happens.

My training
Quote Reply
Re: "Biggest" 700c clincher tire, or 'easiest to mount' [zebragonzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, was using a "Kenda" 23 road tire that came on the cheapo alex rims. I'll try the 4000s, thanks.

My training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll try the conti 3000 in a 25 and post what happens.

You see that's the thing. I have had some of the worst luck with Conti clinchers on some rims/wheels that I have had over the years - I mean insanely hard to get on, like it's impossible. Nothing against Conti tires, they are awesome, they were just a bad match for those rims/wheels.

As they say. Your milage may vary!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reviving this eleven year old thread since i'm in basically the same situation as the OP. There have been several similar threads like this since but haven't really found any new solid info on easiest tyre to mount. Currently have some Continental ultra sport on my gf wheels, I can get them on after some work but they are really though and she thinks she haven't got the finger strength to do it (I know about pushing thet bead to the middle but they are still very difficult).

Anyone that recommend a "bigger" tyre for us? What about the Conti 4000 or 5000? Some seem to say they are easy and others say they are impossible?

https://acprestation.se/
Quote Reply
Re: "Biggest" 700c clincher tire, or 'easiest to mount' [Cerpan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cerpan wrote:
Reviving this eleven year old thread since i'm in basically the same situation as the OP. There have been several similar threads like this since but haven't really found any new solid info on easiest tyre to mount. Currently have some Continental ultra sport on my gf wheels, I can get them on after some work but they are really though and she thinks she haven't got the finger strength to do it (I know about pushing thet bead to the middle but they are still very difficult).

Anyone that recommend a "bigger" tyre for us? What about the Conti 4000 or 5000? Some seem to say they are easy and others say they are impossible?

I think a lot of it depends on which rims you are using. I have a set of HED Jet+ rims and I just put on a new set of Conti GP5000 this weekend and it was easy as could be. No tire levers, just used my thumbs for the last few inches by the stem. And I am no expert on mounting tires, so it wasn't like I have a ton of experience. I'm confident my wife could mount these tires.
Quote Reply
Re: "Biggest" 700c clincher tire, or 'easiest to mount' [Diechrome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100% dependent on the specific rim/tire combo you're referencing. It's impossible to suggest a tire.

A few tips:
Technique plays a role, make sure the entire bead is in the center channel of the rim and all of the slack is out of the bead before levering the last section of the bead on.
Avoid anything tubeless ready, they are generally tighter and less forgiving.
Wetting the bead with your water bottle can make things easier if necessary.
When all else fails, get a Kool Stop bead jack. Just be careful using it, it puts a ton of pressure on the bead and rim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It might be rim tape to thick, I use one wrap of gorilla tape.
Quote Reply
Re: "Biggest" 700c clincher tire, or 'easiest to mount' [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get Tannus solid airless tires . Hard to put on but will never have change .
Quote Reply
Re: "Biggest" 700c clincher tire, or 'easiest to mount' [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply!

But why would it make a difference? Why are some easier on some rims? Shouldnt a "bigger" tyre be easier?

The rims are btw asembled by a local guy so difficult to find other examples...

Quote Reply
Re: "Biggest" 700c clincher tire, or 'easiest to mount' [Diechrome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, ill think ill try the 5000's. They have them in LBS so easy to get.

Quote Reply
Re: "Biggest" 700c clincher tire, or 'easiest to mount' [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Suspect this, try to find some thinner ones! Btw, whats the disadvantage of thinner tape?

Last edited by: Cerpan: Jun 10, 19 11:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends much more on the rim than the tire. With modern wide rims, I can take 25mm or 28mm tires on and off very quickly without even using tire levers. But on my old narrow Zip 404s, mounting a 23mm GP4000 is next to impossible without super thin rim tape and heating the tire up. most rims made in the last couple years, even aluminum ones, should be fairly wide and easy to get most tires on and off.

The easiest tires that I've worked with are S-Works Turbos and Turbo Cottons. The sidewalls are pretty flexible and fit over the rim easier than most tires. The 26mm turbos measure out pretty wide on most rims (~28-30mm depending on the rim) and aren't too expensive, so they may be your best bet.
Quote Reply
Re: "Biggest" 700c clincher tire, or 'easiest to mount' [Cerpan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Continental GP5000 tires with tubes are on sale today at Merlin Cycles for about $84 per pair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cerpan wrote:
Thanks for the reply!

But why would it make a difference? Why are some easier on some rims? Shouldnt a "bigger" tyre be easier?

The rims are btw asembled by a local guy so difficult to find other examples...

The rim makes a difference because the deeper the center channel (the smaller the circumference) is on the rim bed, the more slack that is allowed when mounting the tire, assuming you are using proper technique.

I've also found that rims with a wide and deep center channel have a much easier time getting both beads to sit in the center rather and if it's narrow. The tire's natural flexibility isn't going to want to have the beads pinched together but rather to spread slightly...so if the center channel is too narrow, the spread will cause one bead to slide up on to a not so deep part of the channel, thus limiting the amount of slack you can pull.
Quote Reply
Re: "Biggest" 700c clincher tire, or 'easiest to mount' [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if you had one of these difficult rims, narrow and shallow center channel, what would be your go to tyre?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cerpan wrote:
So if you had one of these difficult rims, narrow and shallow center channel, what would be your go to tyre?

Tannus solid airless tires. No rim tape needed too
Quote Reply
Re: "Biggest" 700c clincher tire, or 'easiest to mount' [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any rolling resistance data?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cerpan wrote:
Any rolling resistance data?

Yes, on the website.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cerpan wrote:

I don't know...I've never met a rim/tire combo that I couldn't mount with just thumbs assuming I was using proper technique. I've just found that certain rims require more attention to said technique of getting the beads to sit in the center and pulling the slack out.
Quote Reply