Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do you keep your head in the game.....
Quote | Reply
when this thing called life starts getting to you??? My w/o's are usually my therapy but for various reasons lately I am letting life get to me. I do my w/o's but just go through the motions. However, today I had a fab bike ride for 4 hours(it was only supposed to be 3). I'm hoping it's a breakthrough.

PS. it's been this way since Jan. I made it through the training and AZ like this but I don't want to be battling my head all of the time.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you keep your head in the game..... [tab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
been there....it's time for a break....do "fun" stuff...hiking, long walks, go for a ride just 'cuz, not as a work out.
do nothing for a week or so....give your body and head a break. write yourself a letter as to why you train, set new goals,
if training has become a chore instead of a hobby...really...take a break.
good luck :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed! Sure sign of overdoing it. Give your head a break... triathlon's not going anywhere! That's what I always try to tell myself when I start to feel that way. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what is your head saying to you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that everybody goes through times like this.
I really liked this post from Paulo a while back:
http://thetriathlonbook.blogspot.com/...tting-work-done.html

Hopefully, whatever is getting you down in the rest of your life will pass and when it does, you'll be really glad that you've done what you needed to do to come through that time.

If it's not a temporary thing then, I guess, you have to look at everything that you're trying to accomplish and make sure that you are living your real priorities and accept some compromises elsewhere.

Good luck!

Miranda
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would echo what others have said about overdoing it, but your phrasing of "this thing called life getting to you" also struck me that something more might be going on. If taking a break from the structure of training doesn't solve the problem than there might be more serious issues at work. I've struggled with depression on and off over the course of my life. I luckily finally sought help for it, first in the form of therapy and medication and then eventually have weened myself off of the medication and manage it with exercise and various techniques that I've figured from therapy (and general trial and error... )

One of my big red flags is when that blah feeling just doesn't go away. There are always days that creep in there and sometimes I just give myself permission to be sad for no reason. But if that sad feeling lasts (without a probable cause) and it isn't responding to exercise or whatever "cheer up" treatments I've tried (hanging out with friends, playing with the pooches, etc.) then something else might be at work.

Not trying to be an alarmist, just thought I'd throw another possibility into the mix...

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply