Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Online calorie trackers
Quote | Reply
Anyone know of a good online (preferably free or cheap) calorie tracker? Both food in and burned through exercise. The only one I am familiar with is Fitday.com, but it seems that almost all of the foods I eat, I have to put in the ingredients/nutrients/calories myself because their list doesn't seem to cover it. Their lists get close, but not close enough. Am I being too anal and should just guestimate?

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: Online calorie trackers [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would highly recommend Calorie King, www.calorieking.com . There is a nominal fee ($7.00 per month but you have to agree to a full 12 months), but it is worth it. They have the most complete databank of foods that I have seen, and their exercise databank is pretty good, too. Very user-friendly.

I used Fitday along with some other Slowtwitch members last year, and, IMHO, Calorie King blows Fitday out of the water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best site for me has been nutritiondata.com. You can save your recipes, define custom foods, and the analysis is very comprehensive.
The site is free.
Quote Reply
Re: Online calorie trackers [SkinnyBunny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use My Food Diary (www.myfooddiary.com). $9/month, no long term commitment.

I find that most things I want are in there, except for some specialty items/Whole Foods brands that I buy all the time, so entering them once was no big deal.

I also like this site b/c it 'scolds' you (in the form of a frown rather than a smily face) for not eating ENOUGH, as it relates to the goals you have set (losing X per month, etc).

You can enter calories burned through exercise from their list provided, which takes into account your weight, or enter them manually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
www.thedailyplate.com has a lot of packaged and restaurant foods in its database -- like almost everything from Trader Joe's. And it's free. (I think there is a premium subscription service, but the basic food/exercise tracking stuff is free.) That said, I am still using fitday because of its simplicity. I really just want to track calories in and out. Most of the calorie trackers are too cluttered for me (although I wish fitday were a *little* more sophisticated). And the ads on fitday are smaller and less distracting. But I do look up a lot of stuff on The Daily Plate to enter into my custom fitday food list.
Last edited by: Ariel: May 15, 08 17:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now I use the nutrition tracker on beginnertriathlete.com. I like that I can log my exercise and food all in one place. They have the USDA database plus users can enter foods so there are a lot of custom foods that are very helpful that come up when you search the database.

I used CalorieKing before that and liked it. Calorieking has a small program that runs on Palm software if you use a PDA. I think I had to pay for it but I thought it was worth it since I used it often.

Now that I have an iPhone and the Palm software will not work on it, I use the daily plate via the web on the phone to look stuff up if I am eating out and I'm uncertain about what I might order. Or I just log in to BT but it takes a log time to load up on my phone -- the daily plate seems to be more mobile friendly.

I tried fitday a few years ago and I liked it the least of all.
Quote Reply
Re: Online calorie trackers [txvet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for Calorieking. I've been using it for 3 years and rarely have I found a food that isn't already in the database.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used www.fitday.com quite a bit. I like it because it is pretty quick to use once you get your standard foods in there.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Re: Online calorie trackers [jtaylor1O24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also like FitDay.com. It has awesome graphs for comparison too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love dailyplate.com !

Tri Hard !
Quote Reply
Re: Online calorie trackers [Bing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone - looks like a few more options I can look in to!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a word of caution, as I have calorie king and have done weight watchers. I've started training, and am trying to lose weight, and find it is not comprehensive enough. In fact, I've gained 2 pound in 3 weeks, eek. Our local Y has a nutritionist so I've made an appointment with her.

Her feelings about online trackers are that they do not customize your diet enough for the real training that you do and you own personal needs. Also, I found that after logging my calories at the end of the day, if I had some to spare, I went and got something to eat. Even if I wasn't hungry, I'd still indulge. Just not a good cycle. I'm not going to use it only for checking nutritional values on new items and just try to listen to my body more.

Good luck!

Who moved my Fat Tire?

http://www.unbeatabletravel.net
Quote Reply
Re: Online calorie trackers [kellywahine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've gained 2 pound in 3 weeks
but...how do your clothes feel? could it be that you have gained some muscle? if so...yahoo!!
Quote Reply
Re: Online calorie trackers [LittleNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 on myfooddiary.com. I've been bad about entering things in lately, especially since I'm raiding the office's salad bar every day, but it's a great resource. And I always do everything I can to avoid frownies! Lately, I've been getting the "not enough fat" frownie. I guess that means I can have ice cream!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the thread! Because of it I signed up for calorieking.com. I have a friend who used this service last year and raved about it, so I decided to invest the $55 for the year (even if I only use it for 6 weeks). Plus, she dropped serious weight to be a competitive cat 1 cyclist and climbs now like a billy goat. It's pretty sweet and tells you exactly how many fat, protein, and carb calories you are consuming and when you need more or less of 1 or the other. There's nothing like logging your food to keep you from grabbing a lard-topped cupcake at work : ). It's also loaded with tons of nutritional information, ways to stay motivated, and healthy recipies. If you have $55 to spare and want to drop a few pounds, I highly recommend it (based my extensive 2 days of experience ; ).
I feel healthier already and have no doubt I will be at race weight well before race day.

Racing Ironman for Athletes in Tandem...http://www.firstgiving.com/...manworldchampionship
Quote Reply