Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

do your massages make you cry?
Quote | Reply
seems like i'm always sore from something-or-another in the normal course of swimming, biking, running, stretching, weight work, yoga, whatever. i'm always in a state of mild pain or, if i do something stupid like run up and down hills like this past weekend, sometimes my shins, hips, quads, hams, etc., really kinda hurt a little more than i like.

so i go to the massage guy this morning, and he's a big burly dude who works on the pro basketball and football guys here in Cleveland, so he pulls no punches with the stuff that's sore or tight or hurting, and sometimes it hurts SO BAD when he works on it (like the abductors or the soles of my feet) that it makes me cry.

is that normal? do you get a massage when you're hurting, or do you wait till it gets better? aargh, i almost dread going in there, but it always feels a lot better a couple hours after he's done. sometimes i get so dizzy when he's done, though, that i can barely walk.

weird?
Quote Reply
Re: do your massages make you cry? [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a few places that are really tender when massaged. For example, I have some problems in my forearms (from too much typing) and my massage therapist really digs in there to work them out. That's a little uncomfortable. But, when he's working on my legs or back there's no pain. I would suggest that if you're in pain all the time, then you're probably tightening up your muscles when he's working on you and therefore you're not getting as much relief as you could be. I really think you need to talk to him about it. It's my understanding that you want to be relaxed during a massage to get the most from it. He may not realize how much discomfort you're in. Ask him about it and see what he says.
Quote Reply
Re: do your massages make you cry? [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks, dawn, yeah we've discussed it. i asked him once if the linebackers he works on cry, and he says "well yeah they're human too." i think he just gives a really deep massage. and it's always the sore stuff that hurts, all of it on my left side, from my shoulder all the way to my feet (never have figured that one out). we've talked about new shoes, new orthotics, better bike fit, etc., etc., etc., but nothing seems to kill the soreness (except not working out, which isn't acceptable). so ... sore muscles hurt when you massage them, i guess?

you aren't sore and/or hurting all the time?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't usually get massages when my muscles are just sore. I only get massages when my muscles get locked up. A couple of times a year, my upper back and neck locks up and I can barely move. That's about the only time I get a massage. The other time might be when I'm putting in some long running miles and I want some relief in my legs. Again, maybe once a year.

I'm often sore after a hard run or after my long runs. However, I think rest is the best thing for that. I will take a day off or take an easy day. I also have an amazing hot tub that has very good massaging jets so I'll often get in there to work out any kinks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used the TP Massage Ball home massage kit for years and, on rare occasions, it hurts so much that I do cry. But it's always a "hurts so good" type of pain.
Quote Reply
Re: do your massages make you cry? [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a tender point under my left scapula that KILLS me on long rides. I had a massage last Friday and she found it and proceeded to work on it for what seemed like an eternity! I was flinching and almost crying. She kept saying sorry and asking if I was ok. I told her to do whatever needs to be done so I can ride at least partially pain free. While it's not cured, it is much better.

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Re: do your massages make you cry? [LovePugs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, i'm lying there while he's torturing me thinking "it's only pain, let it go" and trying to relax so he can really dig into the muscle/tendon, and wondering if i'm on crack or what for letting someone do that to me. but, like i say, it's always better afterward ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My RMT asks me how I'm doing during the obvious tender parts of the massage. Recently she was working on my abs and asked me how I was doing. My response: "I kind of feel like punching you in the face right now". :)

Quote | Reply
I have several very tender spots--hamstrings, IT band, traps, and others that hurt a lot when being massaged. My massage therapist knows the right amount of pressure to apply and if it seems like I am resisting, she asks if it is too much and I tell her if it is (I usually say no!). I enjoy every minute that I am there because I know that it is making me feel better. I hate when I go to other massage therapists and they are too light with the massage.

That being said, I don't go for a deep tissue massage when I am really sore--like right after a race or extremely hard workout. Notice that the massages in the post race tent are not deep tissue.

On that note, I have to leave for a massage in a half hour!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get some knots in my calf that hurt so much to work out it makes me feel like I should bite down on a leather strap or something. Usually, I make the husband work on them and do the TP massage ball on them, but yeah I know what you mean about the "why am I letting someone do this to me?" feeling...

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
normally, not painful. I'm pretty ticklish and most of the time I laugh!!!

The only times I've been in a lot of hurt are getting a couple knots in my shoulders worked out.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I go to the biggest, strongest and meanest MT in the metroplex once a week. It hurts less now than when we started 5 years ago. He literally spent the first 6 months ripping 50 years of scar tissue out of my body. 5 years ago I had to sit in the car for a few minutes and compose myself before I could drive. Now, not so much. My observation is that the tighter you are the worse it hurts. The last body part to let go was my feet. He used to laugh that he could beat me with a tire iron and I was completely stoic but was a complete wimp when it came to my feet. But now that the feet are looser its not so bad.

So you are doing the right thing and sounds like you have a good MT. Many are not so good and deep tissue is a hard thing to do right. Is it worth it? About 2 years after we started the spousal unit was out and about when she saw a runner in the distance and was amazed when she got close enough to see it was me. My stride had changed so much and she didn’t recognize me.

MT’s are very much an underutilized asset on this Board.
-----------------------

Born again Heathen
In Case of Keith Moon - Break This Glass
Ironman Certified Coach
USAT Certified Coach
Precision Nutrition Certified
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quads and psoas. I use karate breathing (out-out-out-out forcefully) when it gets really painful. Or during A.R.T., I just say bad words, but not cry, though I'll tell the when it's too much.

If it's hurting that bad, then he's going too deep. Have him back off just a bit.

And yeah, hurts so good to stop!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: do your massages make you cry? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cathy, do you have any good suggestions for finding the psoas muscles? I can never seem to figure out how to find them when doing self-massage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should never be hurt by a massage - you may be sore, but not hurt. Never bruised as well (although this may happen when you first develop a relationship with the person). The key is communication. Please never be afraid to tell them how you are feeling - if they don't listen, you should never see them again and find a new person.

The person you are looking for is someone that understands those "little places" that always seem to hurt us and how to deal with them. The person that listens and cares. The person with patience to work slowly and carefully on what you need done. It is also a great advantage when the person will spend the time to show and teach you exercises / stretches to help with the areas that you have difficulties with.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, i use the eff word a lot in that room with the mystic music soothing in the background. he should be playing Wagner or something at full blast and bringing out the black leather, whip & chains. foul language doesn't deter him at all. he's a monster. really sweet looking innocuous guy, but inside he's a raving sadist. :) six hours later ... it's all good, feels great. he knows his stuff. awful to endure, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it sounds kind of New Age-y for this place, but during a psoas release, a lot of held emotion can be released as well.

Don't ask me why. I was skeptical,too. But when in massage school, I got my first psoas release and balled like a baby in front of the whole class! It wasn't from pain....

FYI, made my second trip to a new ART guy this morning, and he makes me cry. But, because he gives me hope for pain-free running, I will keep going back. Cross your fingers for me.

G

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My RMT is a an evil, sadistic SOB that takes great pleasure in causing me pain. Were I a secret agent there'd be no more National secrets...

He works with several professional sports teams and his preference is to work with athletes. I've had moments on the table where I was but a hair away from throwing up, passing out and shitting myself simultaneously. He's very good. :)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes, yes and yes... the key is to keep going on a regular basis- I just use a lot of bad words and usually there's no-one in the other offices until I'm done or about to be done. It does hurt enough to make me yell out loud but my MT is someone I've been going to for many many years. I use a foam roller religiously in between sessions and that thing can make me see stars as well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i don't believe that massage or physio or chiro. or any type of treatments should hurt so much that
you cry. if you have that much pain, stressing that area can't be good.
have you thought of seeing a chiropractor...one who specializes in athletes.
i used to be very leary of chiros. but found one who is amazing. maybe you need
a good tweaking!! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have gone to a PT (who i swear is a life saver!!!) and he hurts me like heck!

sometimes i just have to take a break, and tell him to stop.
but i will bitch the whole time (yeah, me bitching, imagine that) and we end up laughing about it.

there have been times where i've nearly punched him and i used to scratch him because i would grab his leg while he was torturing, er i mean, treating me.

what can i say, i'm an absolutely horrible patient.

there have been times where i've nearly cried and also puked, but i swear it's kept me from needing surgery and falling apart in 2 million different pieces.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got one tonight and was on the verge of tears. I didn't know I was so tight until she started to dig into my hip. YOUCH! Then my calf! Oh My did that hurt. Same on the other leg too! I guess that's what I get for not stretching or using the foam roller for a few weeks.

But I learned my lesson about getting a massage the day after a half ironman. Never again! I always wait a couple days now. I waited 4 days after IMAZ and they still didn't do to much deep stuff w/o me wincing.
Quote Reply
Re: do your massages make you cry? [matti58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's kind of hard to get to, but here's some good info.

http://answers.google.com/...threadview?id=779624

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the non-hurt category. A few people above have mentioned the "tighter" you are the more it hurts... for what it's worth, I'm extremely flexible.
I see an ART/chiro practicioner who keeps me injury-free. Haven't had issues since I started seeing her. She is great, used to be a bodybuilder/weightlifter. Can make my husband break out in a sweat, but has only made it hurt a bit for me, nothing I couldn't stand.
I've had only 1 deep tissue massage in my life, 90 mins of wonderfulness. Leaving the spa they warned me I'd be sore later, but I never was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, as a Clinical MT, I can tell you that you probably shouldn't leave too much time inbetween treatments (that is, if you are)... if you can afford it, try to go on a regular basis for maint. massage, say every 2 weeks or so. And your treatments don't always have to be DEEP. Ask him to do some more myofascial work on your trouble spots- he should be warming you up quite a bit before working too deep. If he is used to working on football players, he may not be able to 'switch gears' as readily. But, as a licensed MT, he should know that it is his ethical duty to 'do no harm'. Also keep in mind that your muscles hold not only physical aspects of energy, but emotional ones too! So, it is not unusual for people to cry after (or during) a treatment. If you know you're crying because you're in PAIN, then I would definitely try someone else. As for the dizziness, that is relatively normal too. He's moving a lot of fluids around, so you have to just get off the table slowly, take your time getting dressed and out and be sure to drink a little extra water throughout the day. You don't have blood pressure issues, do you??
Quote Reply