Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread 5/12/08
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone! As promised, here's the thread where you can talk about how'd you do towards your goals last week. Read through the goals you listed in the thread at the top of this forum and let us know how you did. The thread is here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread

I'll start:
- I only ran 4 times, not 5 last week, but I'm ok with that. I had to skip a few days because one knee was bothering me. I think my long run last week was a bit too long. Gotta ramp up the mileage more conservatively.
- My eating was pretty good last week. Had a family wedding last night and decided to enjoy myself instead of worrying about what I was eating and drinking, but other than that one day I did ok. My weekly weigh in is on Wednesday.
- Running is going really good. The frequency is helping and I'm getting up there in mileage.
- Haven't started cycling yet. Gotta get going on that.

Ok, who's next?
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread 5/12/08 [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goal: Actual:
Swim 3-4 2 swims; pool closed Friday; 7000 yds
Bike 3-4 3 rides; total miles 100
Run 5-6 5 runs; 47 miles

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't set any weekly goals for the week, other then to not have treats/pop for a week.

And well, that didn't go as well as I hoped. 4 days were good, 2 were not so that's not bad. I did have some treats but they were much smaller in size - like real portion sized :)

This weeks goals....

Do all the workouts scheduled...can skip 1 and only 1 workout this week (unless injury or emergency pops up)

Practice better portion control...one scoop of ice cream is just as good as 3.

Work hard at the Thursday night club ride...hang w/ the big boys for as long as possible and then just hammer on my own till done. Last week I made it 5.6K w/ the biggun's. This week, I hope for 10K.

Finish my traning schedule from now till the Peterborough half im. It's almsot done.

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stuck to my training plan, and did what I could to achieve my stated goal (to not get DQ'd on the bike at Ironman). I did my workouts to the best of my ability. I believe I am training at a pretty close to max load for my current fitness. Watching carefully for signs of overtraining.

Made it up The Big Hill yesterday. I've been trying for 6 months. I'll take it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread 5/12/08 [WeRide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Made it up The Big Hill yesterday. I've been trying for 6 months. I'll take it.

Great job! That deserves a bigger font!!! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My upcoming race goal is to finish the Bay Swim in under 3 hours. So far so good. Swam 9,500 yards last week. Plus, I just did a 6,000 yard continuous pool swim today holding a 2 min/100 yd pace. Thank god for my new H20 iPod thingy -- music really helps me survive these pool workouts.

Other goals:
-avoiding a lot of processed crap.
NO PRINGLES! But, my kid did have a b-day so I had some cake. I made the cake (from a box). It was good.

- cutting back on diet soda.
Check. Doing great on this one. It was easier than I thought it would be.

- not freaking out and eating everything in sight after a long, hard workout.
Check. This has been going pretty well. We have had a ton of rain so a couple of my hard workouts have been derailed. I hope to have more opportunity to test my willpower this week.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Ladies!

I did pretty well this week - missed one swim workout, partly due to bad planning with a little bit of lazy mixed in (I had a brick and the swim before I went to work on Sat. and just didn't get up early enough to get everything done on time... ) But the rest of the workouts, I approached with a much more positive attitude and felt really good about.

I also was really good about bringing lunches to work and pre-making healthy breakfasts. I didn't do as well on the dinners, there were a few after-work training sessions so a few pizza slices and burritos snuck in there this week. Need to get better about planning ahead for dinners. I'm particularly proud of the fact that I went to the movies yesterday after my long bike ride and was able to order a healthy lunch beforehand AND resist the movie candy/popcorn that is always my downfall.

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread 5/12/08 [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Woo hoo! Let's hear it for accountability. I've been eating well. I'm cutting down on the sugar (except for that mother's day slice of double chocolate fudge cake...mmm). I joined the guys for speedwork at the track and hill repeats on the bike. Missed out on strength training after recovering from said hill repeats and speedwork. (Not an excuse, I know.) Looks like everyone had a good week. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I got my stretching (3x last week) and foam rollering in (6 out of 7 days). I still haven't weighed myself, and am afraid to after yesterday's binge on Costco Maple Muffins (my race directing nutrition of choice). But I'm back to structured training again and it feels great, so the diet will shape up quickly!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My "run every day of May" is out the window.

No Diet Pepsi. Check
No soda at all. Check

Eating was OK for the most part.

Rode the bike a lot.

For this week: heading the Washington, D.C. then Boulder, so it will be a run week by necessity. Goal is to not eat a lot of crap while staying in hotels Tuesday-Thursday. In Boulder it will be to not keel over when getting tested (bike/run testing and swim underwater videotaping)!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smaller jeans already, who hoo! now only 1 size to go for a 6!
worked out 4 times, and today i held plank yoga pose for 30 seconds! this time last year i couldn't even do it for one second!

better on the water, but still need to get 6 or more glasses

eating more, bought protein shake mix for the morning, and that seems to be a good solution.

feeling better about myself, praying more and reducing the negative self talk, which is something i always have to work on.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread 5/12/08 [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well,

w/o wise ok. I have run every day for the past 4 days and have enjoyed it. I have decided to suppliment my w/o's with a 3-4 mile run on the days I am not "supposed to" run. I hear this works. AND I had a great swim today:))))))

Eating wise, not so great. Since I am only in my logging phase with my nutritionist I keep telling myself that he will fix me so go ahead and eat it. That stopped today. Still off the DC, tho.

I got called stocky at the gym today. It pissed me off. While I will never be waifish, I am 5'9 and a size 8. Is that considered stocky???????? This came from the girl who told me I was too old to be doing tris, much less IM's......I told her I was just getting started.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok I haven't started yet. I have an excuse. I raced last weekend and I need some rest so I will start at the end of this week.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread 5/12/08 [PC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well here are My goals for 2008:

1: Survive the TTT, well not only survive but improve my bike and run times.

2: Lose 10 lbs by Sept.

3: Actually complete the 2 1/2 Iron races that I have scheduled for later this season

4: Swim at least 3 times, Run 4 times and bike 4 times a week. and do my core stuff every morning.

5: Not be so grouchy when tapering or having shorter workouts

6: Remember why I do this and it is not my job :)

How did I do this past week.
#1 working on it.
#2. Lost 1.5 lbs, but I was sick for 3 days so we will see if it stays gone.
#3 working on it
#4. Swim:1 (-2) Run: 2 (-2) and bike: 2 (-2) but n all fairness I was not able to work out for 3 days as per my Coach will do much better this week
#5: I was not grouchy due to tapering but I was grouchy due to being sick :)
#6: not a problem and it is a good this that it is not my job or I would have been in big trouble.
Sorry ladies, I'll do much better now that I am cleared to train again. Everyone have a great week!!

Chris

2015 Season: American TTT
Ironman Louisville.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job, everyone! We're into a new week so keep your goals in mind on a daily basis. Think about one thing that you haven't been doing well and work on that for this coming week. Let's work hard at getting at least one breakthrough this week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I guess it depends on how you look at it... I had a minimum goal of 2 swims, 2 bikes, and 2 runs per week. So I rode on Tuesday and ran on Thursday and then I had a really short sprint race on Saturday. If you count the race I rode twice and ran twice! But I only swam once. Really, it was the first week, so I'm ok with that, this week I've got a rough schedule mapped out in my head and I think I will meet it.

The race was fun, too, that was another of my goals, a sprint tri every month through Aug and then an Oly on September 1. So I haven't trained really at all, but I won the swim (AG, not over all) and then 39 women passed me so I finished 40 out of 79 in my AG. Ha! But still, smack in the middle, and for no training that's not bad. I was happy with my effort, and more importantly it reminded me how FUN this is, especially shorter races, since I haven't done any of those in a long time. Baby Will had a good time at his first tri, too, he wore the t-shirt Erika made him and if I can figure out how to post a picture I will do that. I'll have to research that.

So not a bad first week, that race really got me going, it was a good way to kick start this whole thing!
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly "How'd You Do?" Thread 5/12/08 [Shelby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To you and everyone else out there training and racing with little ones in the house, all I can say is WOW!! I still remember those baby days. Any day you can get out to do a workout is a good day, but especially when you're the mother of a little one. Congrats on a good week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just added my goals, but I've been formulating them in my head for a few weeks now. Here's my evaluation of how I would have done last week:

1) Lose the pounds that came back this spring: get back down to 157 by May 28:
I was up to 161.4 on Apr. 23, but as of last Wed. (my weigh-in day) I was was down to 158.8, so I'm moving in the right direction.

2) Continue to get my long run in every week, and do at least one speed workout:
Did my long run Saturday but only a few T-runs to supplement.

3) I will swim at least two hours per week, hopefully three:
I only swam once for an hour :(

4) I will ride my bike at least 3 times per week for a total of at least 5 hours:
I rode three times for 4:57. Close enough for me!

5) Weight training two times per week for 30-45 minutes each time:
Check. (once for 45 mins, once for 30 mins)

6a) i will eat 5 servings of fruits/veggies a day:
Not sure on this one, but I would think so - I feel like I ate tons of fruit last week.
6b) Only one dessert per week:
Nope. On Saturday I had a cookie, two brownies, a s'mores, a huge piece of chocolate cake and some pudding. Sunday I had two pieces of cake.
6c) Only one reasonable serving of chips and salsa per week (my downfall!):
Again, bad news. I think I had it 4 times and not once was it reasonable!
6d) Make sure at least 2 meals and 2 snacks per day are made up of entirely real food:
I'm not sure on this one. I was probably pretty close because I had time to shop for lots of fresh food throughout the week.

7) Spend 15 minutes every evening doing things I don't like to do. Empty the dishwasher, floss my teeth, sort a load of laundry, pay bills, etc.:
This one won't really kick in until I start my new job next week. I've been able to stay on top of laundry and cleaning because I'm not working right now.

Overall, it was an ok week for not having the goals written down, but I should be able to make all of them this week.

Great job to everyone else - lots of healthy changes in people's lives!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is my status report:

1. Get on the damn treadmill tonight and do my speedwork and get it done in time to watch American Idol from the couch.

Success!! Procrastinated as long as possible but stepped off right on time.

2. At least 3500y in the pool Wednesday

Only got in 2500 but did a cool workout that included pushup, plan, situps and crunches on the deck between 25y sprints.

3. At least 3000y in the pool Thursday

Success! 3400 yards

4. Successful camp next week. All workouts with enthusiasm and get my nutrition right for the IM course ride on Wed.

So far so good. Sunday successful: Hilly bike workout. Did a nasty nasty hill that has haunted me since the last time I did the camp and skipped it. Hardest hill I've ever done. Did a great 2500y workout and mile repeats that included the hill up to the run turnaround. Had a bit of a meltdown on the bike yesterday. It is really cold and cloudy with a bit of rain out here in CdA and my feet were frozen. I stopped at my coach's car and warmed them. It was really tough to get back on the bike but I did. I came up 5 miles short because I skipped an out and back but not too bad overall. Managed to see all but 5 miles of the bike course. It is brutal.

I've got daily write-ups of camp on my blog. See my sig line for link.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: jenhs: May 13, 08 9:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have eaten better this week as far as fruits and vegetable consumption...way down on the candy consumption. No weight loss yet.
Starting to get back into training, 2 runs this week, second swim this evening...no cycling except for commuting to work.
I am studying for the GRE, and getting my application materials ready for the June 15 deadline

sylvia

Vestri sessio est quoque altus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Week of 5/19:

Three words: WORST WEEK EVER (well, maybe not ever, but at least since early October.)
I skipped most of my workouts (only worked out two days) and didn't eat very well. I was out of town with my mom two days last week (she was just diagnosed with breast cancer) but had opportunities to work out. I drove through Madison 4 times with my bike in the car and good intentions to ride the course, but never did.

It just doesn't sound fun at this point. I don't want to do Rockman (or any other halfIM) in June. I spent much of the weekend wondering if I even want to do IMWI. I don't know what my problem is, or if it will go away. Maybe it's just the combination of the stress of my mom, my new job that I started today and a mean case of PMS.
Specific progress (or lack thereof) on my goals:
1) Lose the pounds that came back this spring: get back down to 157 by May 28:
I was 158.6 on Wed.
2) Continue to get my long run in every week, and do at least one speed workout:
Did my long run, which was pretty short this week, but it ended at a bar meeting friends for beer and pizza.

3) I will swim at least two hours per week, hopefully three:
Swam twice for a total of 4500 yards. I'm happy with that :)

4) I will ride my bike at least 3 times per week for a total of at least 5 hours:
One ride, 75 minutes :(

5) Weight training two times per week for 30-45 minutes each time:
one session. 45 minutes :(

6a) i will eat 5 servings of fruits/veggies a day:
I bet I actually did this. I didn't keep track and was traveling a lot, but packed a cooler every day with lots of fruit.
6b) Only one dessert per week:
1 candy bar + 1 DQ sundae + 1 ice cream bar > 1 :(
6c) Only one reasonable serving of chips and salsa per week (my downfall!):
ok, I actually met this goal, but the two evenings of pizza, 4 evenings of a beer and a big tub of movie-theater popcorn cancel it out.
6d) Make sure at least 2 meals and 2 snacks per day are made up of entirely real food:
Yes, my little cooler helped me on this one :)

7) Spend 15 minutes every evening doing things I don't like to do. Empty the dishwasher, floss my teeth, sort a load of laundry, pay bills, etc.:
I did this most days, but the week was pretty hectic with the travel.
Last edited by: td: May 19, 08 18:36
Quote Reply