Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bikesport MI --My Review
Quote | Reply
Over the last few months, I've become convinced by the writings of folks like Dan & Tom D. that proper fit and position on the bike is vital. I've also become increasingly convinced that my own position just wasn't right. Since I didn't know where else to go, I made an appointment and drove 300 miles to Bikesport last Sunday.

I've bought several bikes in my life and have been in many bike shops but the service I received in Tom's shop was far above my other experiences. Tom personally spent at least 2.5 hours working with me on my position. He started by shooting digital video and still pics of me pedaling. These images were loaded into a computer for analysis. He questioned, measured and studied everything right down to the cleats on my shoes. Several rounds of adjustments were made and after every change, he shot more pics which we studied to determine the effect. In the end, I came out, with a postion that is much more "agressive", aero, powerful and to my surprise I am dramatically more comfortable than I've ever felt on the bike before.

In my opinion Tom has an unquestionable skill for fitting and he has definately deveoped a staff with a strong customer service ethic. His mechanic attended to every detail in getting my bike ready, including many that he didn't have to. Before I wheeled out the door, Tom ran over with a set of wrenches to double check that every bolt was torqued just right.

I couldn't be happier with my experience and it was well worth the travel time. I only wish that I'd found someone who would have given me the same attention to detail in my past bike purchases.

I'm posting this because I believe in recognizing quality service and because I've seen recent posts where people were contemplating traveling to visit Tom's shop -- I say do it, you will not be disappointed! When I buy my next bike, wheel-set, etc. there is no doubt in my mind that I will make the trek again because I can't imagine getting better service anywhere else. Thank you Tom!

Barry Kundert
Quote Reply
Re: Bikesport MI --My Review [Barry K.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barry, Thank you for your kind review and for making the trip up here to Bikesport. When someone invests that much time in travelling to our store I take that very seriously and try my best to return something tangible for that investment.

I'm glad this experience was good one for you. In fairness, it was a pleasure working with you and although your fit challenges were initially complex we were able to solve them using some good 'ol F.I.S.T. principles. Thanks Dan Empfield.

I don't hit a home run with everyone. I'm human and I have bad days. Catch me on a bad "girl" day or a day when I feel crappy and am on 2 hours sleep in 48 and one meal with no shower in two days and I am like anyone else under those circumstances: Grumpy and abrasive. I apologize in advance to anyone who has to deal with me on those terms.

Having said that we do try our best and I love fitting people. Every person who comes through here is a reflection of us, our business, me and what we are trying to acheive. Sometimes we get it right (like with you- and that you again for the awesome plug here...) and sometimes I screw it up.

It does seem like lately, we've been figuring out what matters most and focusing on that and doing a job I am getting close to being pleased with. But there is pleanty of room for improvement in EVERYTHING we do. Just ask any of our customers who ordered a bike 8 weeks ago and still don't have it. Not our fault, but our responsibility. I doubt thier review would be as glowing. But we work on that every day also. Which reminds me, I have to call some bike companies.... Again, thank you for your glowing words. I look forward to the day when they are 100% true for every customer and won't rest until they are.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

You do all of that video for free? Is that something do that you are doing? Sounds pretty neat?
Quote Reply
Re: Bikesport MI --My Review [Matt Berner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WE don't do it for free, but I think our prices would be regarded as "fair" by most people. I am sensitive to overcharging as I have heard feedback from customers who were fit at other stores who didn't understand what they got, felt not much tangible happened and thet they were overcharged. That is a perception we NEVER want here, so we charge fairly for our time and on a case-by-case basis.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem with "reviews" like this is it is simply one persons anecdotal report and isn't proof of anything. Afterall most people buy their bicycles at stores like WalMart or Sears and are perfectly satisfied with both the purchase and fit. Sure, there will always be a few outliers who are hardly ever satisfied with what has stood the test of time, but who are you or they to tell everyone else what is "better" without some proof.

How about some scientific proof of Tom's inate superiority. :-)

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Bikesport MI --My Review [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO, your prices are much better than fair. I got much more value than I paid for.
Quote Reply
Re: Bikesport MI --My Review [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is none because I am not. I assure you, we screw up regularly.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bikesport MI --My Review [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frank - Hey, maybe there's an idea here that you can use.......If you can get Walmart to stock PCs, maybe the doubters would fall right in line and slap them on their Huffys. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, I vote you open a place here in FLA...or the south.

If that doesn't happen any time soon, could you post the cost of what Barry paid...or Barry could do that. Barry, you were there for 2.5 hours, got pix/video of you on the bike, a great fit, more comfortable and powerful. How much did all that cost you?

With this, others who can't get to Michigan have sort of a baseline to compare to other places. Thanks, and if this request is out of line...just ignore!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bikesport has been that way for awhile. I bought a Mountain Bike a few years ago before heading out to Moab, Utah and gave them a solid 1 1/2 day notice on what I wanted. Boom... next day the bike was ready. The manager at the time was Ken. Classy and Quality service. Nice job Tom.
Quote Reply
Re: Bikesport MI --My Review [Swim Fast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our new store manager is Nate Griffith, a nationally rank UCI cyclocross rider and Category 2 USCF rider for Suburban Homes/Wolverines with more than 7 years experience in the bicycle industry. He has been an excellent addition to our store.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is GREAT to hear that the quality and servive remain the same.
Quote Reply