Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero Rims and Steering Stability-> Switching deep rear to disc...
Quote | Reply
Hello All,

Yesterday, I took my new H3 front/Jet Deep 90 Rear for a spin on a hilly/windy course. (Galena I.L. Tri bike course, for those of you who have been there). As the wind angle varied, I definitely felt like my front wheel/aerobars were being torqued around quite a bit. Not a lot of fun.

John Cobb's article on steering says a lot of stability is regained by putting more surface area in back...i.e. a disc. My question, for any of you who have switched a rear aero rim -> disc, is how much steering stability is regained by putting a disc back there. Is it really a noticeable difference in terms of how unstable the bike feels?

Also, this was really only my third test ride on these wheels (they are race wheels, after all), how much of this is me just needing to get used to how they handle.

Thanks,
Philbert

Dr. Philip Skiba
Scientific Training for Endurance Athletes now available on Amazon!
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Rims and Steering Stability-> Switching deep rear to disc... [Philbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Philbert, I have a Jet Deep 90 for the rear and a zipp for the front. I also have a disc. On my softrides I have noticed the occasional gust of wind. With the exception of the near hurricane I raced in, I never had a problem being blown around with either rear wheel. The rear wheel on a softride presents more surface area to a crosswind vs a double diamond frame and I find that the stability issue is a non issue for me. I'm between 153-157 race weight. So as far as steering gained I do not see a difference. You mentioned that you felt that your front wheel and handlebars were being torqued. A rear wheel change may not solve that problem. You may want to switch to a front wheel with less surface area, a HED Alps or Jet instead of a H3 if possible. Your front wheel will then present less surface area exposured to crosswinds and may reduce the twisting.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Aero Rims and Steering Stability-> Switching deep rear to disc... [Philbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Originally I had Hed Jet 60's front and rear. On windy days the effect on the front wheel was very noticeable. Switched to a Hed Deep on the rear and noticed an improvement. I then tried CHaero disc covers and it felt even better.

This was with a Giant TCR set with a 76 degree effective seat tube so I was a little more forward than what this bike was really designed for. The Cervelo P2K has Hed 60/Deep combo and has always felt stable. Perhaps this could also effect different bikes in different ways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Philbert, although others have argued with me over the point, I maintain, after 8 years using Specialized and Hed tri-spokes of all size/rim persuasions, that the tri-spokes have a gyroscopic effect not as present in other types of deep wheels. It feels like a heaviness in the steering that can be misinterpreted as wind sensitivity. You'll get used to this effect over time, though. My own experience is that the H3/TriSpokes are not more sensitive to wind than other wheels like Zipp, Corima, which I have also used. I don't have any disc experience in conjunction with them, however, so I don't know if that will contribute to a more stable feeling on the bike.
Quote Reply