Login required to post replies

what do you eat after a long bike ride?
Quote | Reply
nothing goes down better than an ice cold glass of milk
and a big ol' mushroom-cheese burger!
Quote Reply
Re: what do you eat after a long bike ride? [triandtri again] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm struggling with this right now. I've been choking down a shake, but I feel shitty for most of the day after (I only do the shake cuz I know I need something, can't just not eat).

Quote | Reply
Today..everything in sight. Pop tarts, ice cream, turkey sandwich, orange, banana, protein bar, peanut butter and banana sandwich with honey, grapes. I couldn't stop eating. And it was only 57 miles!! I have a theory about this that I am experimenting with. I didn't know how far I was going to go today so I wasn't on top of my nutrition during the ride. I think that is why I was so hungry afterwards. If I had taken my gels and gatorade more frequently maybe I would have felt less hungry afterwards. Also, a nice full stomach when I start the ride seems to help afterwards, too.

Jessica
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I once ate a large pizza, a salad and burrito after a 253 mile ride. Boy did I sleep well :)

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bowl of cereal. Lots of fluids--juice, water, gatorade, whatever we have. Fruit if we have any. Ice cream!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A recovery drink then anything I can get my hands on :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I go to jamba juice before I go home and I get a huge Protein Berry Workout with an extra shot of whey protein.

I went to a seminar last year where Dave Scott presented on recovery food. He goes and gets the same thing at Jamba. So I figure I've got one thing right. Then I hit the chocolate a few hours later. Dave Scott probably does not, but you never know ;)

I find I eat (slightly) less crap later in the day if I have something sweet right when I finish.. and the jamba works for the 4:1 carb:protein ratio.
Quote Reply
Re: what do you eat after a long bike ride? [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Large ice cold chocolate milk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the past, I used to eat everything in sight. So much so that I would actually gain weight despite the hours of riding. Then, I started consuming more calories during the ride and found that I didn't need to pig out when I got home. Once I did this, I stopped gaining weight on long riding days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What should I eat versus what do I eat?

Standard recovery recommendations are that within two hours of your workout, you need both carbs and protein. There's some standard amounts if you are ambitious and want to look it up. 4:1 mentioned by someone else sounds about right.

What do I eat? First, usually a big glass of chocolate soy milk. Next, maybe leftovers from the night before (pasta or rice), or an individual size frozen pizza, or scrambled eggs, or some combination of those to get my protein/carb fix. Sometimes that is followed by a nice nutritious banana (yeah, right), or more likely something chocolate or salty. Oh, and plenty more fluids especially if it's a hot summer day.

BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
love smoothies or a PB/honey sandwich

Jolene Wilkinson
Triathlon Coaching http://www.pacificfit.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I am driving somewhere to do the ride, like up to Madison, I always stop at a Taco Bell for a chicken taco and a bean burrito with no onions on my drive home. My body now associates long rides with a trip to Taco Bell afterwards. If the ride is on the trainer usually a turkey sandwich.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A shake or a tuna salad or turkey sandwich with fruit.

http://www.rdsupplier.com "making race directing easier"
Quote Reply
Re: what do you eat after a long bike ride? [cstine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Large ice cold chocolate milk
One of my training partners swears by this!! He will drink the whole carton at once. I usually have a craving for pretzels, especially the Snyder's steakhouse onion pieces - very addicting. Ice cream is a close second.
Quote Reply
Re: what do you eat after a long bike ride? [suicide blonde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hammer Recoverite. Or a single serving jug of cold chocolate milk.

Then a nice meal after I shower and clean up, and sometimes veg out for a bit. Sometimes, though, nothing tastes better than a hamburger. I swear, sometimes after long rides or runs, my body wants nothing more than some tasty red meat. It's a strong craving, even.
Quote Reply
Re: what do you eat after a long bike ride? [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hammer Recoverite. Or a single serving jug of cold chocolate milk.

Then a nice meal after I shower and clean up, and sometimes veg out for a bit. Sometimes, though, nothing tastes better than a hamburger. I swear, sometimes after long rides or runs, my body wants nothing more than some tasty red meat. It's a strong craving, even.

Thats funny, i get the same way. I have my recovery drink, then we go to this pizza place and I get a big salad and an order of meatballs. Or I love a good burger after a long ride. i just cant handle the fries.

--------------------
Jeanne Roth
Team Timex 2007/2008
http://jeannejeannie.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply