Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

long hair and cycling helmet
Quote | Reply
Not a woman, but I need some woman advice.

My 5 year old daughter and I are riding RAGBRAI on a tandem this summer. She has pretty long hair http://www.davisphinneyfoundation.com/...riders/rider.asp?266. that day I just sort of shoved her hair up in the helmet, not very effective after a couple miles.

What is the best way to keep the hair out of her face and such? I can put her hair in a pony tail, pig tails (sort of) and a barett(sp); none are very good with a helmet. any thoughts on a good easy set-up that she can do herself or a guy with limited skills can do for her? she doesn't care how it looks, just so it is out of her face. i suggested cutting, her and my wife vetoed that idea.

jla
Quote Reply
Re: long hair and cycling helmet [ASU_GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've just always worn a low ponytail that comes together below the bottom of my helmut. Then I typically brain the ponytail portion of my hair just to make sure the ponytail doesn't loosen up and come out.
Quote Reply
Re: long hair and cycling helmet [snotrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when I had long hair I would french braid or just braid my hair. I almost always wore a stretchy headband to keep out flyaways.

Now my hair is short and I just leave it down and wear a stretchy headband, perferably one with grippers on it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
http://triathletebride.blogspot.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do ok with two side braids and a helmet. (is this what you mean by pigtails?).

I don't like the feeling of one long 'thing" in the back of my neck (pony or braid) under a helmet but distributed to the sides it's OK...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have a guru helmet that actually has a place to put your ponytail through. very helpful for long hair!!! before i had that, i would put a bandana on and either put my hair in a low ponytail or pig tails
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most helmets have a spot to pull a ponytail through. If her kid helmet doesn't, just put her hair in a low ponytail (the rubberband should be a smidge higher than her shoulders) and she should be just fine. If you can do this when the hair is a little wet and combed out (good luck with that), it works the best; messy is fine too. And since I'm assuming you may not know about this stuff, a small scrunchie -- ask your wife -- will be the least painful way to put the hair in a ponytail; otherwise, use a thick rubberband for hair (NOT the kind you use at the office) to minimize the yelps as you pull it back.

Pox on you for suggesting she cut it:)

Cheers,

AmyCO (mom of 10-year-old girl who will not let me touch her hair anymore)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always go with the low ponytail (the elastic is usually right above my neck). My cycling and running friends refer to this as the "aero hair style." ;) Personally, I like to make a loop (not pull my hair all the way through the elastic on the last go-through) so that my hair stays off my neck to some extent, but I'll usually have to use two elastics so that it's tight enough to stay in place.

Oh, and I try to remember to take my hair out of a tight ponytail as soon as possible when I'm done my right to minimize damage to the hair, since the elastic is pretty much always in the same place.

They definitely aren't as easy to do, but pig tail braids are great when one has a lot of shorter pieces of hair towards the front of the face. This way, you can pull back some of those shorter pieces of hair that a single pony tail would miss and you won't have to use clips or bobby pins or whatever to hold them back. Requires a bit more prep time and some decent fine motor skills, though.

http://lesliesexton.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Part her hair down the middle and comb each half into pig tails that tie off behind and just below her ears. The braids should be placed so that they do not interfere with her helmet's comfortable fit. No barrettes, as they may cause a hot spot under the helmet or a headache that would be uncomfortable on a multi-day ride.

Braiding the left-over hair will keep it more manageable and will be time well spent compared to detangling it at day's end. This will require 4 elastics.

Remember that fathers are never short of love they receive from their daughters and I admire you for taking care of her for eight days.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: long hair and cycling helmet [TriSally] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for all the advice. it looks like i have some hair training and experimenting to do before the ride. i have to admit that i would be a little heartbroken if she cut her hair as well. looking forward to this ride more than any past IM or ultra races.
thanks again.
jla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, no need for cutting. I actually prefer to grow my hair out so it is out of my face for cycling. the helmets with the space for a higher ponytail to poke through would be best. I find that the most comfortable. Or if not, Low ponytail(s) or braids would work with her length. Does she ever use a detangling conditioner spray now? Might be helpful when brushing into a pony tail? It is really great that you are doing that with her. As a side note, I still remember thinking my dad was great when he made the effort to put my hair in ponytails. He was so gentle compared to my mom's tuging! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a lot of problems with my hair that was below my waist when I raced motorcycles. My cure was to put it in a pony tail with one band under the helmet, one about mid way down and then one 2 to 3 inches from the bottom. I would also tuck it into my shit.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: long hair and cycling helmet [trigoneroadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that is funny...my daughter says the same thing to me. i admit my pony tail's don't last as long as the ones from her mom, but given a choice my daughter picks mine. there is something special about having a little girl, hopefully sharing experiences like ragbrai together over the years will decrease some of the pain in the teen years.

conditioner detangler???..any recommendations? can i just spray it in her hair while dry?

I'll try the pony through the helmet this weekend.
J
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Braids. If her hair is thick, then 2 side braids. Thin hair, one long single behind.

B

"the only normal people are the ones you don't know"
Quote Reply