Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone in South Africa?
Quote | Reply
Hello Ladies,
I am playing around with the idea of being relocated from NYC to South Africa within the year. I was wondering if anyone is based in South Africa and had any opinions/advice on training and/or clubs. I would be based in Johannesburg, but traveling to Cape Town on a regular basis for work.

I have only heard good things about IMSA and SA70.3 [I would do both while there], and experienced Two Oceans firsthand this year (it was AMAZING), but was wondering if anyone has any advice on training, especially given safety factors...

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone in South Africa? [LittleNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't live there anymore, but did for 30 years, still visit every couple of years..

Try to be based in Cape Town (CT), not Johannesburg (Jhb). CT is much safer, though getting worse. All my running friends in Jhb told me not to run alone. Add to that the fact that most communities are gated, so you can't actually run on the roads without passing security guards with automatic weapons, and training just becomes a lot harder to do. In CT I ran alone in the richer suburbs, without any concerns.

All the running clubs will be very helpful. I'd suggest contacting the Rand Athletic Club in Jhb,
http://www.rac.co.za/
and Celtic Harriers or Varsity Old Boys in CT,
http://www.mpceltics.com/
http://www.vob.co.za/_main.asp
but really any club that's near where you live/work will probably be fine. SA has a much stronger club system than the US, since any race requires club membership or a temporary permit.

Most accessible heated pools are in the Virgin Active health clubs, which require a 1-year contract. It's not cheap either. Try to get your work to include this in your relocation package ;-)
Otherwise there's a nice municipal 25m heated pool in Linden, Jhb. I swam there in January. If you're not within five miles of Linden, though, expect an hour or more to drive there. The traffic is appalling.

Biking similarly has to be done in groups, and outside the Jhb metro area. If the hijackers don't get you, the BMW drivers will: and if they don't, the taxi drivers will. I don't know much about the bike clubs, but several friends still bike race, so it's possible. They all own good trainers, though..

SA currently has 4-5 hour rolling blackouts (aka 'load shedding', no electricity) on most days. This will probably continue for several years. Get a couple of good batteries for your laptop.

This all sounds quite depressing upon re-reading it. However I'd still encourage you to go, there are some very beautiful parts to South Africa and it's an interesting society. But really, try your best to be in CT and travel to Jhb regularly..
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone in South Africa? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the details- really helpful.

Being based in Johannesburg is not really negotiable (unfortunately), as my company's office is there, but I would be in Cape Town about 1 week/month, so I think it's do-able.

I am definitely aware of the safety issues surrounding living/training in Johannesburg, which is why I want to be sure I have groups to train with if I make the decision to go- will check out the links.

I have spent some time there already for work, and a common joke I hear is that the people in Johannesburg are all in GREAT shape because the gym is one of the safest places to go :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep, it's home, work, the gym, or head out into the bushveld for a weekend ;-)

Jhb has changed immensely in the fifteen years since I lived there. As a teenager, I used to run for hours at night, and never gave a single thought to the question of personal safety..

good luck and have fun..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do not often lurk on The Womens being a guy so I only saw your post today.
I coach part time work part time in Cape Town and can put you in touch with quite a few folk here (women and men) at all levels from Pro to Novice.
Have to agree with Doug on his comments.
We have a wonderful country but the crime is problem no.1
It is simply not safe to train alone although many of us do!
Personal safety has driven us into a secure gated estate and my wife now only trains within the boundaries of the estate and in the gym.
Troisport (retail outlet and tri club) in Johannesburg will be able to assist up there.
Contact Steve Pratt there. You may quote me! We did Kona 2005 together.
I am coaching one of their members(woman) for 70.3 worlds in Clearwater so I can put you in touch with her as well.
I am also conducting two 9 day training camps on site for IMSA2009.
I also run bike tours both road and mountain bike and camping, hiking etc tours.
PM me for anything specific.
Enjoy your visit and be in touch!

see my website: www.speedsnakecoaching.com

http://www.speedsnakecoaching.com
Quote Reply