Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

moving to ft walton beach
Quote | Reply
i'm moving to the ft walton beach area this summer and i'm looking for a triathlete group to keep me motivated for Silverman in November. anybody out there?
Quote Reply
Re: moving to ft walton beach [ugogrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't live there but my sister did. There's a triathlon store called Dragon Sports ( I'm pretty sure that's the name). It's buy a YMCA unless they've moved. Maybe they can help you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I moved to Panama City last year; it's somewhat close to FWB. There's a local tri store there called Dragon Sports. As for clubs, there's the Tri Gulf Coast club that's based out of Pensacola. There may be a club in Destin (or maybe it's just a race), but I haven't been able to find info on it. I'm supposed to stop by Dragon Sports today, so I'll see if I can find any other info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's my neck of the swamp. But I'm not doing long stuff this year. It's not Boulder or San Diego, but there's a decent local tri community, and half the time when you mention to someone that you do tris, you'll get "Hey do you know my friend Mike then? He did that big race in Panama City Beach last year."

Dragon Sports is a good place to network- lots of info on local bike groups and routes, Pam there does a bunch of swim coaching in the area, and you're alays going to find someone else going long. And they did move to a new space on Racetrack Road last year, and are no longer by the Y.

Tri season is pretty much spring and fall here because the beaches are overrun with too many tourists durng the summer. And the summer heat sucketh mightily, even when you're finishing your runs by 7:00am. But Spetember through early June generally is very nice outdoor training weather, save for the annual two weeks of winter.

Most of the rideable bike routes are close to either the north side of FWB (up through Eglin Reservation, if you don't have a DoD id, you need to get an Eglin recreation pass from the Jackson Guard offices in Niceville) or going out and backs on FL-285 or FL-20 in the east Niceville/Bluewater Bay area. I don't consider MLK a viable bike route- a drunk hit a paceline there a couple years back.

Unless you work there, don't live in Crestview or Navarre. You will spend tons more time commuting that you could otherwise spend training.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you've got any more specific questions!
Last edited by: FLA Jill: Apr 11, 08 14:32
Quote Reply
Re: moving to ft walton beach [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info! I stopped by Dragon Sports last weekend to pick up some last minute tri-gear. I guess I join the emerald coast cyclists and hopefully link up with other triathletes. So where do folks get thier swim training? I can use some serious help with my swimming. It would be great to link up with a Master's Swim team if there is one in the area?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you aren't military, your pool swim choices are the Ft. Walton Beach YMCA (only indoor pool competition in the area) Destin YMCA (shiny and new) and the Bluewater pools network. Bluewater Barracudas has had a masters option in the past (Pam from Dragon Sports is head coach out there) I'm not sure how the Y runs their swim teams.

I swim at Bluewater, though on my own. Pools fee runs about $400 a year for a family member and something less than that for a single membership, and you have one year-round and two seasonal competition-size pools to pick from.

As far as stroke stuff goes, I don't coach formally anymore, but drop me a line once you're in town for good, and maybe we could meet up for some stroke feedback.

For open water stuff, there's been an informal group from Dragon Sports that's done open water swims at White Point Park on Choctaw Bay in the past (north side of the Mid-Bay Bridge in an Eglin recreation area. Have either DoD id or Eglin rec pass in your car if you swim there)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I am Active Duty AF, so I wsill check out the base pool. When I was there last week it was not open. I will certainly drop you a line when I get into town! Look forward to meeting you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a painfully shy person in real life, but once I get past that first bit of awkwardness, I always enjoy getting to meet online folks.
Last edited by: FLA Jill: Apr 14, 08 9:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Understood. No worries. I am just eager to get on track with training. I have found through my many change of assignments that the folks I meet through cycling and triathlons are great folks! I fell off the 'fitness wagon' this past year due to deployments, training and TDYs--so I am looking forward to getting back into shape.
Quote Reply