Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First time I'm too old
Quote | Reply
I just got turned down for a consulting gig by a girl who was a good 15 years younger than me. I swear it was due to the age difference. She knew I was far more experienced and I think she wanted to be the mentor, not the mentee. I clearly had more experience than her and she wasn't cool with that. Silly girl didn't realize she was hiring me as a consultant, not her employee.

Dammit, now I have to keep looking for a job. Unemployment is getting a little too comfortable....

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: First time I'm too old [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sucks, I'm sorry to hear that. Looking for work sucks! (I'm currently trying to leave my current idiot factory for a new idiot factory, so I totally understand what you're going through... )

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could be wrong about that. Maybe her cousin did the hiring or the owner is her dad's drinking buddy. You just don't know what could be up behind the scenes. Many advertised jobs are already filled beforehand but the job ad goes out to make it look good.

Unless it's a job where you're taking off your clothes and dancing up a pole on stage, then age shouldn't be an issue.:-)

You didn't really want to work for them anyways. There's lots of other jobs out there. Just don't let it get you down.
Quote Reply
Re: First time I'm too old [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My husband corrected me and said I was too HOT. He's a keeper.

This is the first time I've interviewed with someone so much younger than me. Five years younger, yes, but she was early 20s.

Its not so much that I wanted this job, its that I didn't want to be turned down for it. She would have been a lot of work for me. Managing up can be tiring. Its also pretty rare for me not to get a job once I'm at the stage of getting a face to face. I must be losing some of my charm.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Early 20s and you say she wanted to be the mentor? If she's like most early 20-somethings (and I have 3 kids just barely past that age, along with their friends) it sounds like her knowledge is exceeded only by her ungrounded confidence in her own abilities. The outcome might just have saved you a lot of pointless aggravation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok, let's get an ego check here. no offense, but all i heard there was why it wasn't a good fit for you. could it not be the case that the person detected "something" that said, "she's great, but i'm not really sure she was that into this opportunity". because, you weren't really "that" into the opportunity.

seriously, i think a different angle might help you here. the girl probably picked up something that said it wasn't optimal--and from what you've said, it wasn't! i would leave it at that, and not allow it to kick your ego. things work for a reason (i've said this 100 million times in my recruiting career) and soon enough you'll be saying to your husband, "honey, remember that job with the dingy 20 year old who was such a pain in the ass? imagine if i got that job, then i would have missed out on the XYZ thing i'm doing now! thank God it worked out the way it did!!!

seriously. 100 million times. 100. million. times.

what i can guarantee you is that if you allow things to flow, allow things to have a course of their own, and make good decisions, then it always works out. lastly, you're not old or any stuff like that. no more talk like that, ok!

you will be going strong in less than 8 weeks at a *much* better gig. my crystal ball ain't lying!
Last edited by: kittycat: Apr 5, 08 21:52
Quote Reply
Re: First time I'm too old [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right. It was a kick in the gut to get turned down by this kid who clearly didn't know a damn thing. It would have been a pain in the tukus in the long run but it still sucked. It really was weird how much younger she was than me. Freaked me out. First time I've experienced it. I swear she was just as freaked out by my being older than she expected.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My dad sold his business he'd owned for 25 years but wasn't ready to retire. He interviewed and got a job that he loves doing. He is now their TOP sales manager at almost 62 and he's only been at it since Dec. 2005! I am so proud of him!!!!! All the other people refer all the difficult cases to him and he works it like a charm!

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply