Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri Shorts / Tri Tops
Quote | Reply
Ok ladies, i see in the tri forum that there were tri short/tri top reviews....lets bring one for the ladies...

I am doing my first event and have been am looking for & experimenting with tri shorts / tops for Olympic/sprint distance. what has worked for you? what hasn't? do you have a favorite?
Last edited by: run2tri: Apr 2, 08 19:45
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Shorts / Tri Tops [run2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have preferred two piece outfits, mainly because of the ease with which you can use the bathrooms pre and post race.
Last year my outfit of choice was a DeSoto tri short because I really love the abscence of the leg grippers, and a Zoot top - the long tank top style with a built in bra. I felt like their bra really gave me good support.

In the past, I have raced sprints and oly's in everything from a speedo bathing suit (when I first started) to the "looks like" a speedo 1 piece bathing suit with a tri pad, to the tri shorts and long tank top with a built in bra - thingy.

If it's a non-wetsuit swim in a shorter race, I'll still wear the one piece bathing suit looking thing with a tri pad. The one I like best is from TYR, and I have an old Zoot suit that is good as well. I found I needed to stay away from zippers in the suit if I was doing that style.

I have tried Louis Garneau tri shorts and I think Zoot tri shorts as well. The leg grippers always felt tight or even started itching somewhere along the way.

I'd say do what feels most comfortable. If part of making you feel comfortable means looking good/cute, then do it.

Enjoy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it mainly has to do with what you are comfy in.

I race in a 2 pc swimsuit like tri suit.. (little chamois in the bottoms) when doing anything up to a 1/2 IM distance. I get warm very easily, so this ia great for that as well as potty issues! I bought 1 pc swimsuit like suit by LG I'm going to try this summer (because I gained some weight this winter and well, I am self conscious!) My training partner uses that type and likes it, so thought I'd give it a shot.

My IM last fall was NOT wetsuit legal, so I swam in a regular swimsuit and then changed. Figured I'd need to use the restroom anyway! I did the rest of the race in a Zoot tank and zoot 3 inch shorts. I was comfortable...i forgot enough sunscreen, so that hurt, but that isn't the race suit's fault (that is a whole other story regarding my husband trying to be helpful...sweet wonderful man that he is).

I'm working my TAIL of to get back to where I'm comfortable in my swimsuit 2 pc b/c that is what is most comfortable to me.

Whatever you think you may like, try it out in a workout, esp the ride and run part. Be mindful that long tanks kind of "flap" in the water some...one reason I like the 2pc swimsuit top or swimsuit like racing outfits.

Plus, you have to make sure that you are STYLIN'!!!!

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply
Re: Tri Shorts / Tri Tops [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For most of my IM's I have worn a one piece swim suit and tri-shorts under my wetsuit. For those races that are not wetsuit legal it was simply the swim suit and put on bike shorts in T1. In T2 I always take off the shorts and run in the suit. This past weekend I attempted to wear tri-shorts and tri top for the entire race. Let me tell you, never again. My cheeks got rubbed from the seem of the bike pad(Pearl tri-shorts) and I am not happy as I sit here. The race was only a half IM and I can't imagine the damage if it had been a full.

I liked the tri top from Zoot, the girls did not bounce too much. Yet I don't have much to bounce. Any suggestions for good tri-shorts?

http://www.ironmom141.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Shorts / Tri Tops [Ironmom141] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really love the Oomph! shorts - I have two pairs, one super padded and the other with "normal" tri-suit padding. I've worn them in Olys/Half's without any problems, but I add Chamois Butter to the equation...

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zoot tri tops are great because they hold you in place. I like the Desoto shorts for sprint or olympic because they are not so bulky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The past two years I've worn the same lululemon tri outfit; shorts and top- the top is w/out bra support, so I've just worn a UA bra under and I've been very comfortable and chaffing free. The shorts are slightly padded, but not too bulky for running. The only bad thing about lululemon is they are hit and miss about what they carry in their stores.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's pointless to buy shorts based on ratings, because (especially for women) it's all about your body type.

I have a narrow-waisted, wide-hipped, muscular-thighs body type. The ones that have worked for me are Oomph, Sugoi (sized up), Shebeest, and the Desoto Power Short with pockets (the latter is what I race in, love the POCKETS!). The ones that have felt horrible in the store are Zoot, Tyr, LG, and the basic Desoto women's tri shorts. Zoot, in particular feels like it's pinching my thighs and can't fit over my hips (and the same with Zoot running clothes), but might work for someone who is a lot more narrow there.

For tops, I like anything that runs long enough to fully cover my back. Most everyone is more comfortable with a bra under the top even when the top has a shelf bra. The Zoot tops work great for me (even though their shorts don't!), but I'm trying out a DeSoto Forza top this year because of its skin-cooler properties. Hope it works.
Last edited by: Oleander: Apr 7, 08 10:23
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Shorts / Tri Tops [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still struggling with what to wear this year. I know I need new shorts and am looking for ones that are 5 or 6 inches long and have pockets on the side for stuff. I usually wear the same thing for the entire race, even in an IM, but I think I'll change my shorts for the run this year as last time I had the outline of the chamois seam burned into my butt afterwards.

I always train in what I'm going to wear during the race once I have it figured out. This way I can identify any issues long before race day. But, you can't always find something out before the day.

I dont' mind leg grippers because they usually prevent the shorts from riding up. Critical to me are the pockets and a quick drying fabric.

Anyone currently wearing ones that fit this description?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Shorts / Tri Tops [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the tri top and shorts plan. I've only worn a one piece trisuit for sprints.

I loved the previous year's Zoot Ultra shorts. This year, unfortunately, they changed the material and way it fits, so I'll be looking for something new.

I still like the Zoot tops. The bra is just right for me and the armholes don't rub. I've gotten some awful chafing in the past so this is a bit selling point for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a DeSoto top and matching bottoms that I got in 2004 and they've been great for sprints and one oly. I wear a Champion sports bra from Target underneath, it's moisture wicking, so it dries out pretty well. The DeSoto top has pockets on the sides and the bottoms are lightly padded and probably on the longer side for womens. I think it was a pretty lower priced suit and I really have no complaints!
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Shorts / Tri Tops [bokchoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found some super cute stuff today. I got a pair of Shebeest tri shorts. They are great because they have two good sized mesh pockets on the back waistline. I like that better than the sides because I don't need the extra baggage there :-)

http://www.shebeest.com/...cts/racegear_s08.htm

I also got a DeSoto top with nice big pockets on the sides which won't add as much baggage on my hips. I really like it although the belly is a little tight. The top has suprised at how supportive it is without a bra underneath. If I can drop the couple pounds I'm trying to lose the top won't be so tight :-).

http://www.desotosport.com/...rera&ProdID=WCF8

In Berry so I stand out from the crowd!

Hopefully they stay comfortable in the race.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply