Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Computer acting Squirrelly
Quote | Reply
I have a Cateye Astrale that's a couple of years old, and it recently started acting up. If I'm riding along at, say 21mph (in other words, all out, down a considerable hill, totally aero), my computer will read 21 for 3-4 seconds, then jump down to 11mph for a few seconds, and then hold at something in between for a few before returning to the correct speed.

Could it be as simple as the battery? If so, is that just a regular lithium watch battery and can I replace it just by popping that sucker open?

Seems to me, due do the intermittent nature, that it's probably more likely the "sensing" unit cutting in and out.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Computer acting Squirrelly [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it happens more often at high speeds, I'd check the sensor first. Does the magnet pass reasonably close to the pickup?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had that happen with my computer a couple of summers ago. The sensor looked to be in the right place so I changed the battery and it worked. The problem happened again last year with a Sigma cordless computer that was only about 10 weeks old but since that computer turned out to be a lemon (it has green corrosion all over it) I haven't bothered to try changing the battery to see if it fixes the problem. The batteries are standard "watch type" lithium batteries so it is pretty inexpensive to swap one in to see if it fixes your problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i just had this same problem on my last ride, my spoke magnet was not lined up with the pickup on the fork.
Quote Reply