Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Body Fat
Quote | Reply
What is an appropriate body fat level for a women triathlete? Not a pro but a MOP. My wife did ask me to post so please do not jump all over me.
Quote Reply
Re: Body Fat [buckeyechas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Womens don't jump all over people unless they are being a sexist pig which you don't sound like you are being.

Really hard to say. Healthy body fat for "normal" women is about 22% depending on age. For me it comes down to where I feel goo and power to weight ratio. I won't sacrifice power for low body fat.

That said, my personal goal is 18 - 20% depending on how my body feels and if it wants to get that low. Right now I'm stuck at 23%. Have been for years. I'm 5'2" and 130.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Body Fat [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Ladies, this is a little OT but I have a question about BF% and weight loss. I have lost over 100lbs in the last 4-5 yrs and am about to my goal weight (still have about 10 lbs or so to go) But I have a bit of loose skin that has not snapped back. At 47yrs and 2grown kids it may not snap back. But anyway when I do my BF% is reads about 30% or so but when I talk to other women in my AG and about my size and muscle theirs is much lower. So I am wondering if the loose stuff is causing the higher reading. I have not been in a water displacement type test. Just my BF scale and the Impeidence (sp) thing at the gym. Does Anyone know if loose skin can have an effect on your BF% reading? Sorry to hijack the thread.

Chris

2015 Season: American TTT
Ironman Louisville.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What is an appropriate body fat level for a women triathlete? Not a pro but a MOP. My wife did ask me to post so please do not jump all over me.
Average body fat for a woman is ~ 23-26%. A MOP athlete will probably go 5% below that, so 18-21%. YMMV, you may see MOPers that are much lower than that, or a lot higher than that, just based on body morphology.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Body Fat [chrisrunzs26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if loose skin can affect the readings, but the bioelectrical impedance measuring devices are notoriously inaccurate. I would take that 30% number with a grain of salt. If you really want to know, get the underwater weighing or find a facility with a bod pod.
Quote Reply
Re: Body Fat [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i really don't believe these numbers you've given us are accurate, given the average American woman is not quite 5'4, and is 163 pounds. so how can the average body fat be 23-26%? seems it would be much higher, given the average size now is about a size 14.

if a woman is 163 and a size 14...
Last edited by: kittycat: Mar 31, 08 21:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm really not sure, though the 18-21 sounds about right. what i do know though is, that i have been beaten by girls who by appearances, have much higher body fat than i do, so it is in no way a direct indicator of success.

does anyone know how much the hydrostatic weighing usually costs?

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Re: Body Fat [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe we should look at what the healthy range is, not the average. The average weight and % body fat of Americans is not something to aspire to, since we are in an obesity epidemic. Looking at what a healthy, active woman should have is probably better.
Also, the body fat scales and bio electrical impedence have huge margins of error. They can't be used in research studies since they are inaccurate. Hydrostatic weighing is the gold standard.
Quote Reply
Re: Body Fat [flyer521] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
does anyone know how much the hydrostatic weighing usually costs?

I got it done for $40 by a company with a mobile (truck) testing center.

If you live near a university with a human performance lab, they often do it for $30-$50.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think average is ~22%. Lower than 12% is considered too low... risk of not having periods (and then wreaking havoc on bone density, risk of not being able to have kids, etc) - fat is a precursor to a lot of hormones.

Appropriate... is where your body's healthy and functioning as it should.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're doing really, really well as a triathlete if you can hover between 15-18%. It's healthy but very lean.

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a lot of the posts are really good. Average body fat is considered around 22%-25%. Given that information though, everybody is different, and trying to stay too far below what your body "wants" to be at is very difficult.

The electrical impedance device at gyms are way off. I was a kinesiologist/fit tester at gyms and they are only used to manipulate the customer. You can change the data entry and get completely different numbers for the same person. If you really want to know your body fat DEXA is the best way, it is the most accurate. It is the way they measure bone density. So if you can convince your doctor that you may have low bone density you could get one for free!! But another way is to look into University's. They have studies going on all the time, that's how I got mine done.

Anyway, hope this helps!!
Quote Reply
Re: Body Fat [lisarob29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone..thanks for all the great information :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Everyone..thanks for all the great information :)
Not familiar with DEXA, but underwater weighing is one of the best methods, 9 point skin calipers by someone that is trained are both really good methods. Electrical impedance is dependent on too many factors. You can do one while sweaty, get a reading then dry off and get another wildly different reading.

Also, be cautious with the electrical impedance scales. they have settings for "workout' type people and sedentary. I can step on my scale on the sedentary and get a reading of 23% (Which is WAY wrong, trust me), and then do the workout side and get 9.2.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Body Fat [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DEXA is most commonly used to measure bone density. It's kind of like getting an x ray - you lay still, this metal scanner moves over you, it's painless. And yes it can measure body fat too... though it's a REALLY expensive test.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just as another point of reference I had DEXA done a few years ago at UT. I agree that it is the best way to get it done, and since I did it that way I won't do it any other way again because I don't want to try to compare apples and oranges.

I'd had the skin capiler test done a few times and used a few electrical impedence machines. All were in the 20-22% range. I was fine with that. Then I get DEXA done and I was 30%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was horrified. But, it also had normal range for a woman my age as 25-33%, give or take a few percent, I don't exactly remember. This was after I ran my first marathon, at age 23, 5'5" and 130 lbs.

That was in 2004 and I have not gotten it done again although I'd love. I have not found a place in Houston yet to do it. I'm around 122 now and going into IM#2, so I'd be interested to see how things changed, if really at all.

Re: Body Fat [KWTriGrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have not found a place in Houston yet to do it.[/quote] any major hospital should have a DEXA scanner... but you'd have to get your doctor to order a test

Quote Reply
Re: Body Fat [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, I'm not sure me walking up saying "I want to know how fat I am" exactly qualifies as a medical necessity!

I can get back to Austin to do it there if I plan a little sometime in the near future.

Re: Body Fat [KWTriGrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey there,

Yes the same thing happened to me with DEXA, I thought I was around 22% and got a DEXA test and found out I was around 30%. I'm 5'7", 135lbs, fairly muscular (so go figure!) The great thing about DEXA though is that it gives you separate measures for different body areas. So I found out that I carry a lot of my fat in my hips and thighs. I think a lot of people have misconceptions about body fat and what the correct numbers are supposed to be, getting it mixed up with BMI is common, which is 21-25 for average. People who suffer from anorexia can look very skinny but have a body fat of over 30%.

Having said all that, if you get someone who is very qualified in skin caliper's they are a good measurement. You can get them done easily and often. The best way to do it is get an initial measurement and then you can compare your own values every once and a while to see if you are improving. And don't compare to others but just youself. But make sure the same person is doing it all the time and the spots they are taking the measurement are exactly the same. And make sure it's someone who is indifferent to the results!!! Because they can be easily manipulated!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you stop menstruating that is when you know your body fat is too low. They say 18% to 23% is a good range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like to echo the notion that average body fat for a woman in the U.S. is largely underestimated. Depending on the area of the country, getting a group of women for a study that are all "lean" (and just normally active - under 28% body fat) is DIFFICULT (when using DEXA measures). The DEXA notoriously gives higher numbers than most expect. I attribute this to former inaccurate measures/averages being hyped up so we don't have a decent standard number for the "average" individual now.

As an example I'm a male, 6', 155 lbs. Skin fold says I'm 7%, DEXA says 15%. WAY different. I've seen the same thing happen on numerous occasions. DEXA is consistent as long as you are hydrated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The great thing about DEXA though is that it gives you separate measures for different body areas.

I would be really interested to know this kind of stuff. That's fascinating. I'd also be curious to see if my PERCEPTION of my build and BF percentage is even remotely accurate. As in, are my "fat areas" where I think they are.

Sadly, I can find no compelling reason to get a Dr. ordered DEXA test :p

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year when I was in the middle of my IM training, I had my body fat percent checked by a health care professional. I was 5'3" and 109lbs. They put me at 11% bodyfat, but I thought that was low. I did not have periods the entire time I was training. Exactly one month after my IM my period returned. I am on the pill and do not worry about bone density while taking estrogen. Currently, I am just beginning my training for IMKY. I probably weigh 115 and am struggling with the motivation to get back under 110. I am not as fit as I was, so I think my thinner frame was an advantage. I know most people are bigger than me, but I also think that everyone has a personal preference as to what is comfortable for them.
Quote Reply
Re: Body Fat [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was indeed interesting. I found out I'm more evenly fat than most people! I guess that is a good thing? I found out my arms were the leanest part of my body, then my trunk, then my legs were the fattest. I was very surprised at this though because I hate my stomach and my legs are pretty darn lean. I guess maybe your butt is included in your legs, but even then my butt isn't that big either. So it was fun to see it all. But this was 4 years ago so I'd really like to do it again sometime soon.

Re: Body Fat [Ariel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
30 wow... i paid 60 at university illinois chicago lab... great experience and actually fun :) Found out my lung capacity is atrociously low but I think its a fun way to stay engaged in weight loss (fyi, the # I got from underwated weighting was within .5% of my tanita average, which I take every morning)
Quote Reply