Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Related to walking: Climbing Rainier as IM training.
Quote | Reply
One year three weeks before Ironman Canada I got the opportunity to tag in on a climb of Mt. Rainier with some guys who had a climber back out of their trip in the 11th hour (I knew these guys from climbing Kilimanjaro). I had already climbed Mt. Rainier 5 times and knew the routes fairly well, although we were doing a pretty steep route called Ingraham Direct. Is was a quick in and out climbing trip. When I got back I was flying- I felt awesome. The combination of 14-15 hours non-stop climbing with a heavy pack and the altitude really put the finishing touch on my training. It was an incredible discovery. Comments?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Related to walking: Climbing Rainier as IM training. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom - not sure how much of this type of experience can be attributed to time spent at altitude - due to a business trip I spent 3 weeks training in Denver, CO just before my first Ironman - upon returning home I was absolutely flying in training - for at least 2 weeks after my return.....I have never been able to replicate the feeling despite following almost exactly the same program / diet / sleep patterns / fueling patterns etc ....with the exception of the altitude thing.

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply
Re: Related to walking: Climbing Rainier as IM training. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awesome!

Though, from what I know, you can't really get acclimitization effects in anything under 3 weeks. Takes that long to grow those extra red blood cells.

The workload at reduced atmospheric pressure turbocharged your system.

Sweet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been trail running in the "foothills" around seattle for the past month, and can't believe the strength I feel now. the ups are pretty steep (2000 ft in less than 2 miles), so I end up walking most of them. I'm starting to agree with you on this walking thing, but the incline or pack weight probably is a significant aspect of it because it turns it into a resistance workout.

Taking the Ingraham Direct route probably gave him less than 24 hours above 10,000ft. The base of Rainier is pretty close to sea-level, so it isn't likely he got any boost from his time at altitude. What would really be interesting would be try racing after the kilimanjaro trip!
Quote Reply
Re: Related to walking: Climbing Rainier as IM training. [brad in WA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it counts for anything I did run the entire way from high camp on Kilimanjaro down to camp one and then from camp 1 to the park gate. I had a pretty big pack on too! Big fun. Saw lots of Army ants.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be doing Gulf Coast 1/2 ironman in May; climbing Rainier and Hood (maybe Shasta also) in early June and Buffalo Springs Lake Triathlon in late June. I'll see what happens.

PS. I have to get faster, I can't get any slower!

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Related to walking: Climbing Rainier as IM training. [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In addition to helping with your fitness at the base level, I also believe high altitude mountaineering and adventure racing help to make you mentally tougher. That's a big benefit.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice to see other climbers. I most recently climbed Mt. Orizaba in Mexico. In the conditions, it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. An IM was pale in comparison, or so it seemed. What I love about summiting, is it makes all things in life that seemed to bother you, seem so trivial. The confidence you bring off mountains can be awesome! It's a feeling that can't really be described....if I could can it, I would be rich.
Quote Reply