Login required to post replies

2004 Dura Ace - first pics
Quote | Reply
Dura Ace 2004 pics on the site: www.timetrial.org

(Dont tell Shimano please)
Quote Reply
Re: 2004 Dura Ace - first pics [Gary in SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do we really need ten speeds? i would rather have a tougher 9 speed then a finicky 10.

your thoughts?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: 2004 Dura Ace - first pics [customerjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do we really need ten speeds?...your thoughts?
Campy has already been there for the past two years but unless you do your riding in the Alps, who needs a 3 x 10. If you ride on a flatland four gears would likely do. Seems like marketing to me. Will Campy come out with an 11 sp before ShimaNO?
Quote Reply
puhlease I still have 10 (total) on my Dawes [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
road bike and when I got 10 it was huge, down tube shifters and all...........
Quote Reply
Re: 2004 Dura Ace - first pics [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
actually, if I remember well, Shimano came up with a 14 speed prototype already, that was in a bike show in Oz, when I was living there. in 2000 or early 2001...what happened with this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know, three weeks ago I did Solvang on a fixie, and I had a blast. My cadence varied from about 35 (climbing The Wall) and 160 (descending the other side of The Wall), and it taught me a lot about riding a bike.

Of course, there's always someone who'll pull the argument that you develop max power at a very narrow range of cadence. I guess I don't *have to* care ...

If the pros really think they're cool enough to *need* all this multi gear excess, that's fine. What ticks me off is that the consumer is then forced to "dance with the industry" and pay for crap he/she doesn't need: bike companies are becoming as bad as software companies.

And I certainly agree that a "better 9" sounds like a better idea than this 10 speed business.

Dre'
Quote Reply
Re: 2004 Dura Ace - first pics [Dr. Dre'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if this can make you feel better, many pro still use 7 cogsets for time trials because they provide better chain line and therefre are more mechanically efficient.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope the black bits are still metal. I hope the black goes away. Its a derailleur for God's sake. Plastic and carbon have no business there except the pulley wheels. If that adjustment knob is plastic I'll be pissed. If the body is carbon, well, chalk another one up to marketing. There is no good reason for using carbon in a derailleur.
Quote Reply
Re: 2004 Dura Ace - first pics [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don´t worry - there´s neither carbon nor plastic on the new Dura Ace.

m
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my fourth year on Campy 10 speed. I have it on my road bike and TT bike and it works great. I like the extra cog--- With 10 speeds I can either ride an 11-21 with an 11-19 straight block and a 21 tooth "granny" gear, an 11-23 including a 16, which is my favorite individual gear, or a 12-25 with a 16. The extra cog does give you more options.

Drivetrain friction and shifting performance are much smoother in Campy 10 speed than in the Shimano Dura-Ace 8-speed I replaced.

I really hope Shimano 10-speed is compatible with Campy 10-speed--- The only disadvantage I've experienced so far is in having to deal with the mix of wheel types in the neutral race support vehicles.

-Marc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course 10 speeds is better than 9. Do you really think Shimano design new groupsets just for triathletes, TTers who ride flat courses and people who live in Holland? Take a spin up Alp d'Huez or the Ventoux before you decide you don't need the 10th sprocket.

Put the bunny back in the box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd love to have a 11-25 cassette.. with the standard 52, 39 in front.. that 11 should keep me pedaling on those steepish decents. I really don't wanna ride a 55.. Does Campy make a 11-25 cassette?

mike
Quote Reply