Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

my pug keeps licking his chops
Quote | Reply
hi all,
in the morning my pug, Buster, wakes me up with licking his chops. he is licking/swallowing as if he's eaten a spoon full of peanut butter (but hasn't).

and it goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on...licking chops over and over and over.

what is the deal? could this be some sort of acid reflux or something wrong?
Quote Reply
Re: my pug keeps licking his chops [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi kittycat,

First let me start out by saying you are automatically cool since you have a pug! hehe.. I have 3 of my own, and love love love them to death!

Is there something he's licking on while in bed that could get on his face? Mine tend to do that occasionally, but not to the extent that is sounds like Buster is doing. I'd make sure it doesn't look like he has an infection or a cut on his face that he wants to lick. Maybe reflux, but I'm not a vet so I'm not totally sure. Is he dehydrated? Are you keeping his water dish full of Infinti Jet Fuel? hehe just kidding, like pugs need caffeine. Allergies maybe?

Interesting issue, I'd love to know what you come up with in case my Lucy, Bailey, or Peanut start doing it. How about a pic?

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Re: my pug keeps licking his chops [LovePugs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey there! no, he just sits on his duff and licks air. doesn't really lick anything else, aside from giving Dad kisses every now and then.

no bumps on his face, or anything like that. this morning i gave him a small amount of food prior to the potty walk and he quit doing it.

my theory is that he has stomach acid and perhaps a small amount of food at night would resolve it. so i'll test it and see.,

interested if anyone else might have an idea.

(hey, i would post pics, but suck at it...so i would have to email to someone to post, because tiny pic and i don't get along)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are lots of possible causes of this, ranging from behavioural to physiological. If your dog is gassy otherwise, you may be looking at bloat. There can be various endocrine disorders that can cause this. However, if he only does it in the morning, and not regularly throughout the day, it may well be a learned behaviour - "Hey I'm bored and hungry and this makes you get up!!!"

If you are at all concerned, talk to your vet. My bet is on the behavioural in this case, since you say he doesn't do it most other times.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have a pug, nor am I a vet but I have had dog experience that might relate to your situation. I had a dog that would occasionally throw up bile first thing in the AM, I attributed this to acid reflux.... so I think it is possible for dogs to get that. Have you tried giving him something small to eat just before bed?

I have also had a dog with bloat. Bloat is life threatening an very serious, it doesn't sound to me like what is going on with your dog, but you might want to read up on it anyway. Bloat is more common in larger dogs and they tend to vomit and vomit and vomit and gas gas gas(very unpleasant)..... basically the dog turns his stomach upside down and generally requires surgery to fix. This however happens in a short period of time, not generally an everyday occurrence.

Best of luck with your dog!

http://www.rdsupplier.com "making race directing easier"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I'm not a womens ... but I am married to one who happens to be a veterinarian ... and we have four (4!!!) pugs ... from experience with our own and stuff I've picked up from Dr. Wife, my bet would be doggy OCD (seriously). One of ours -- Missy, our Grand Dame, 12 years old -- licks air constantly. She has no medical/neuro problems and no psychological disorders (other than being a pug), she just licks. We -- meaning my wife -- speculates this behavior goes way back, to when Missy was a "breeder" in a puppy mill and kept in a cage 23/7 (we adopted her through rescue when she was 4) ; this behavior likely was her best effort at amusing herself in a dire situation. And she just kept doing it when here situation changed.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Re: my pug keeps licking his chops [jcurtis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow- doggy OCD that's interesting! Never thought that could happen in dogs...

Now can someone explain why my two 5 month old pugs will open both their mouths and put them on each other like they're licking each others teeth!! hehe it's the funniest and cutest thing ever... Pugs are the best!

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply