Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Give PC's a chance
Quote | Reply
  I've been on the powercranks since November and have incorporated them into my regular training rides including hills and fast group rides. At the same time I continue to lift weights including squats and leg curls. The legs are starting to feel a bit fried this past week so I am curious what other pc users are doing with their lifting routine for their legs. Should I continue with high rep leg curls and squats (20 reps) twice a week? Back off weights for awhile? I am 40, on the muscular side and looking to score doing sprints and oly's this summer. First race I care about is not until June. Thanks.......
Quote Reply
Re: Give PC's a chance [Triman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are a nut! PCs and lifting? Well, good for you!

To answer your question, I'd say it depends upon your goals. You say you are muscular. If this is true, I would say you probably don't need to be lifting IF your goals are to run and ride faster. Sure, you'll get stronger, as long as you are measuring strength by how much weight you move in the gym. But, gym strength and bike power/efficiency (and especially run efficiency!) aren't synonymous. If you just like to lift, go ahead. If you want to go faster in a triathlon, an already muscular guy most probably won't improve his speed by lifting as opposed to more running and riding, in fact, you may be working against yourself....there again, IF speed in a triathlon is your goal.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Give PC's a chance [ktalon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with talon. IMHO, lifting has absolutely no benefit for performance in triathlon (although others will disagree) and if you choose to do so you should know you are doing it for other reasons (which may be perfectly valid reasons), not for enhanced triathlon performance. If you want to improve triathlon performance, I suggest you take that time you are now spending in the weight room riding your PC's.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply