Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I miss having a proper shop
Quote | Reply
Since my garage is sparcely lit (as well as littered with spare bike parts and the like), I have to work on the bike in the living room or the kitchen. This does NOT thrill Mrs. bunnyman (as the bunnywoman is NOT chuffed at the idea of stepping on cable bits).

I took a break from installing (temporarily) a spare drop bar while I wait for my new cowhorns (Nitto, to use with my C-Record carbon levers) onto Samantha, as I realise the lack of good light I have in my dungeon (I had fits getting a cable through the lever-couldn't see the hole). I also lack headset press (as I did do a lot of my building in a shop which is now gone) so I can rebuild my newly painted "Colnaleigh". Arrrrgh!!! One bit of solace: I do have a new beautiful crown race setter that I have used twice already (on new forks).

One investment that those of you who have everything should have: a proper shop in the garage. Buy every single proper tool, get lessons from the people who offer lessons on bike repair, and work in a bike shop on the weekends.

And for those of you are are just considering this: make sure you invest in good lighting,have great ventilation, paint your garage floor a bright colour with high-quality concrete paint, and have excellent organisational skills to organise your tools.

Just had to vent for a moment.
Quote Reply
Re: I miss having a proper shop [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"One investment that those of you who have everything should have: a proper shop in the garage"

I remember that was the biggest thing missed after my divorce because I went from having a double car garage set up with a nice work shop area to moving into an apartment. About six years ago I bought another house. The house had everything that I wanted EXCEPT that it didn't have a garage. Well last October I had one built, attached to the side of the house. I'm now in the process of setting it up as a work shop. The hardest thing has been to convince my second wife that this is a shop for our bicycles and scuba gear, not a place where she can keep her car!
Quote Reply
Re: I miss having a proper shop [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a compromise- a metal building to have a shop in. You can get electricity to it, you can store as much stuff as you wish, and it would mean less yard to mow, as well.
Quote Reply