Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

War Cancels DC Marathon
Quote | Reply
Well, we dropped the first bombs, and within an hour I received an email from the organizers of the Washington, DC Marathon (which was to take place this Sunday) saying that the Marathon is canceled.

I guess I understand their rationale, given that the run weaves through all the big sites in DC. Kind of puts things in perspective. Let's hope that the ware ends quickly, and that we all can get back to enjoying the freedoms that we have become so used to.

Perhaps a super long run in Central Park this weekend will cheer me up!
Quote Reply
Re: War Cancels DC Marathon [Jobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are several folks here where I work that were signed up for that. What they are most pissed about is the RD said no refunds, automatic sign up for next year's race. At an average of $85 per person, 6800 entries, they get to hold around $600K for a year. Sweet deal for them. I know they have expenses that they have to cover, but a lot of athletes here are really angry at the RD right now. I feel sorry for all of the folks who were flying in for this race. No other event in DC has been cancelled.

- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
P. J. O'Rourke
Quote Reply
Re: War Cancels DC Marathon [Jobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, that is one of the many costs of this war. We all make sacrifices to a greater or lesser degree. Thanks go to those making the greater ones on our behalf. It could be worse: We're pretty safe here while 'ol Mr. Hussein is burrowed deep underground (If he's still alive after last night) with a bunch of D-boys tromping around out in the 'hood uplinking every time he goes to the pooper and guiding in a bunch of 2G bunker busters. The man's ass is probably so tight right now you couldn't pound a hat pin up it with a sledgehammer.Too bad it had to come to this but it has so now we have to deal with it however we each see fit. Was it Plato who said "Only the dead have seen the end of war." Given how long ago it was penned I would say this only confirms that grim reality. Hopefully better and more peaceful days are ahead someday.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: War Cancels DC Marathon [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cracks me up! "In the hood, uplinking"

Hopefully the boys in the hood can get it over quick airlift themselves back home and we can all run the marathon together.
Quote Reply