Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Inline skating as cross training?
Quote | Reply
Continuing on from my "Does Running Benefit Cycling?" post, would the same amount of time, say 30 minutes, be best used by running or by inline skating? In running I feel that covering 4-5 miles I have had a better workout than 30 minutes of inline skating (I am time constrained for these workouts and have 30 mins.).

On the other hand I have read that inline skating uses the same muscles as cycling and may be more beneficial than running in that regard.

I really feel that running has improved my overall fitness and thus improved my cycling results. I doubt that 30 mins of cycling would be as beneficial considering I am running on my non cycling days, 2x per week.

Would replacing running with inline skating bring more results to my cycling performance becuase of the cycling specific muscles, or does the more aerobic running workout provide more benefit?

Thanx!!

Gary
Quote Reply
Re: Inline skating as cross training? [Gary in SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to do a lot of inline skating until I moved to a rural area where the roads are a bit too rough for it. You could buy rubber tips for the end of x-country ski poles to use with the roller blade skates so the work out was much more like x-country skate skiing than it was like skating. It was a great work out. I really miss it.
Quote Reply
Re: Inline skating as cross training? [Gary in SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started inline skating this past October. It takes a bit to get the proper technique down and you fall a lot. It's not something you can just go out and do, like cycling.

Now, I'm totally into it. I skate for 1-2 1/2 hours. I can get my heartrate as high as running with no impact related injuries, unless, of course you crash.

It's like cycling and running at the same time, lots of leg work and real high heart rate. Very technique oriented, too. It's best to find a long smooth bike path or strand as a course.

Historically, It seems that skaters have transformed into good cyclists and vice versa. I just like it as cross training.

Good luck getting the right equipment. I've yet to find a good skate shop where anyone knows anything. There is alot of info on the net. Don't waste your money on cheap skates.

You think there are a lot of different opinions on bike tech? Just wait till you start researching skates! There is wheel size, ABEC bearing rating, frame material, boot issues, technique and on and on
Quote Reply