Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tibbs' literary [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
O'Connor's short stories have been considered her finest work. With A Good Man Is Hard to Find, and Other Stories (1955) she came to be regarded as a master of the form. The cover art of the 1956 Signet paperback edition featured an encounter with a man in a dark suit and voluptuous woman. In the title story a grandmother, her son and daughter-in-law and their three children, are on a car journey. They encounter an escaped criminal called the Misfit and his two killers, Hiram and Bobby Lee. The family is casually wiped out by them when the grandmother recognizes the Misfit from his ''Wanted'' poster. The hallucinating grandmother murmurs: "Why you're one of my babies. You're one of my own children!" The Misfit shoots her and says: "She would of been a good woman if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life." <copied off of http://kirjasto.sci.fi/flannery.htm>

I'm telling you, Tibbs, this is all you. Flannery O'Connor.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Tibbs' literary [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman, if you like jim thompson you should check out Andrew Vacchs his Flood series is tremendous. Has a good web site also.

fal7 in Houston
Quote Reply
Re: Tibbs' literary [Ginsu Dave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A Confederancy of Dunces.

It's Hilarious.

I can't believe I'm in the lavender room.
Quote Reply
Re: Tibbs' literary [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A Confederancy of Dunces! Thanks! Now I don't have to rack my brain for the next six days trying to come up with that!

Anyway, yeah, what you said--it's hilarious!
Quote Reply
Re: Tibbs' literary [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'm telling you, Tibbs, this is all you. Flannery O'Connor."

chesterton yes, belloc no. i'll never understand what chesterton saw in that brooding, depressing frog.

o'connor, two big thumbs up. had she lived past her 30s she'd be considered america's 20th century version of mark twain. right up tibbs' alley.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chesterton yes, belloc no. i'll never understand what chesterton saw in that brooding, depressing frog. Careful, Slowman, Francois may be lurking around in here. Belloc was only half frog. He was half Brit, and he had enough sense to marry an American. And the guy had a unique perspective on history. (Which I happen to agree with, so he must have been brilliant.)

o'connor, two big thumbs up. had she lived past her 30s she'd be considered america's 20th century version of mark twain. right up tibbs' alley. "A View of the Woods" is the only story I've ever read that hurt my feelings.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try a little Kate Chopin. Especially some of her short stories.
Quote Reply
Re: Tibbs' literary [Matt Boutte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pat Greene is playing here in SD Saturday night but I can't seem to convince anyone else here to go!

No-taste bastards don't know what they're missing... $19.50!! How can anyone pass it up?!

Bah. Off to drink... err... train... yea that's it...
Quote Reply
Re: Tibbs' literary [JimmyChuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh and of course I feel like an illiterate idiot since I haven't heard of half the authors you're all blabbing about... time to better myself I suppose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this is where's it's at for you, then Louis-Ferdinand Celine is OBLIGITORY:

"Journey to the end of the night" or "Death on the Installment Plan"

Beyond brilliant. He goes to war (WW1), travels the world, chases girls, works as a doctor (in the slums), keeps getting sick, goes crazy, gets better. In his view, everythings sucks pretty much no matter what (very French), but that's what makes life so interesting.

"Maybe what makes life so terribly fatiguing is the enormous effort we make for twenty years, forty years, and more, to be reasonable, to avoid being simply, profoundly, ourselves. That is: vile, ghastly, absurd," - from Journey

(Tibbs excepted)

Sorry for the enthusiasm, I just read Journey for the second time.

-TB
Quote Reply
Re: Tibbs' literary [JimmyChuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just posted a blog. Go there and see stupidity at it's lowest.

It'll make you feel better.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just finished Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts last evening, an autobiographical novel. Amazing tale.... Joe Bob says check it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No Tibbs, not stupid at all.

You've got balls, my friend. Big hairy nasty ones that would rival the Elephant man. Everforward into that flat expanse you see before you... I believe it's called a 'tabula rasa'...

-Santiago
Quote Reply
Re: Tibbs' literary [danielito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Joe Bob says check it out."

I wonder how many folks on here have ever heard of Joe Bob...

"Two quarts of blood, three severed heads, one nekkid breast. Kung-fu, bimbo-fu, tire-iron-fu, exploding cars and collapsing bridges. Joe Bob says, check it out!"

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: Tibbs' literary [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, it's been a while since I've seen a Joe Bob Brigg's movie review...

Prev Next