Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road Bike?
Quote | Reply
Looking for some recommendations for a road bike. I haven't had a road bike for a couple years now and have exclusively just trained on my Tri Bike (Softride Rocket TT) during that time

Of course all my roadie buddies & groups I train with constantly harass me about the Tri Bike in the group rides, so I'm now in the market to get a road bike for group/pack riding & for the off season. Since I'm so use to the comfort & shock absorbing ability of the SR, I am considering going with Carbon Fiber for a road bike. (I do ride distances from 20-130 miles). Any recommendations/pointers on the selection of a road bike?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike? [UKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy the one that fits. Get measured, find out what works best with your body. That is so important. Once you nail the fit try to avoid generalizations about materials. My impression is that people who say "Carbon fiber rides like this, titanium rides like that and aluminum rides like this..." are not completely informed. There are so many ways to use different frame materials now these generalizations no longer apply. Find a good shop you trust to size you correctly. Listen to theri recommendations and ask questions. Start with Dan's dealer list here on this site. Good luck!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Trek 5200. Probably the best 'value' on the market. Nearly indistinguishable from the 5900 (Lance's bike) for most mortals. You would be hard pressed to put together a similar carbon racing bike that is ready to go (well equipped) for $2300-2500.
I was in your shoes going into this season and have been unbelievably happy with my new Trek. Of course your bike should fit, but that goes without saying. The bike comes in plenty of sizes that you should be able to get a very comfortable fit.

Hope this helps,

-adam

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious...since you like the Rocket TT, why not go with a Rocket R1 or other Softride roadbike?

P.S., have to second the praise for the Trek 5200. I've got a 5220 (triple) & love it. I was considering a Calfee, but couldn't justify the extra $$.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a bike that fits well, frame material will not be "that" crucial in my opinion. The overall ride, again in my opion, in determined by many factors. After fit, one of the most important factors for "ride" is wheels. Tires and seat are also very important. That said, I have owned a few CF bikes (OCLV and kestrel) and have a hard time really determining much difference between alum and CF. if all things mentioned above are equal. There is a difference in "sound" and "feel" for certain, but not so much in "ride."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UKat. you did not mention a price range. while it is true below a certain price point the differences in ride between bikes gets more difficult to distinguish, as you move up the scale the attributes of each frame design and YES, material starts to shine thru a bit more. how much ching are you willing to spend, and what SORT of ride are you looking for? every informed and dicerning rider i know or have known will readily agree a ghisallo is going ride different from a prince which will ride different from a waterford which will ride different from a oclv - based mostly on the material used in each. or you are free to tell yourself it is the wheels, or the seatpost, or the chainstay length that makes the difference - your choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you think you might like carbon because of your experience with the beam bike, be sure you ride a carbon bike if you haven't already. People will argue all day about the different qualities of carbon, ti, steel and 300 aluminums, but no double diamond frame will compare to shock absorption of that Softride.

I have had one C40 owner comment about how stiff his steed was, as opposed to cushy.

I had a Rocket for a while that I ran both ways - TT and road. Great for TT, but the limited frame sizes caused me to use a stem that was bit short (and twitchy) for my tastes when the road bar was in it. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike? [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with the comments that you can't stereotype based on materials. With that said- I have to say I LOVE the way my Trek 5200 rides. I'm still going to buy a tri bike, but as far as road bikes go, I don't think you can beat the Trek at this price point. Until I can afford the tri bike I'm training and racing on a 5200 with Syntace C2's and a the seat moved forward to 76*. The only "problem" is that the head tube is too tall, so I can't get my bar drop anywhere near where it should be according to the formula in the tri bike fit article.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike? [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with the other replys. Ride is synergistic combination of many factors. Wheels is a huge factor. So is gearing.

I can't help say how impressed I am that Trek is able to offer a carbon bicycle with Ultegra grouping and very decent Bontrager wheels (and components) for under $2500. There is something good and refreshing about their ability to that.

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fit is critical, but also pay attention to the gruppo that you get. There is no question that Shimano makes good stuff, but I have to say the Campy stuff is worth very serious consideration. I have been using it for a year now, and will never go back to Shimano - at least on a road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike? [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having never had a bike with Campy equipment on it, I can't comment on Campy vs Shimano except to say that the Campy stuff does look nice.

My only concern with outfitting yourself with Campy is that any random LBS you run into is probably more likely to have spare Shimano parts on hand than Campy. Could help in a pinch if you happen to break/bend or otherwise damage a component. That said, the carbon inlays on the Campy stuff is very cool.

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try and get a test ride on a Giant TCR Composite. This is far and away the best bike I've ever ridden. I won't ride my 'beam' bike (Cougar with Softride beam) any more because it just feels heavy and mushy.

Put the bunny back in the box.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike? [Noggin the Nog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good call. The Giant TCR Composite is a very sweet looking machine (Beloki's bike). I would like to ride that bike too. Not sure how much that bike goes for out of the box, but if it's close to $2500 well equipped, it is definately worthy of consideration.

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike? [Noggin the Nog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Try and get a test ride on a Giant TCR Composite. This is far and away the best bike I've ever ridden."

Bet that it rides really nice since I find my aluminium version as comfortable as my steel bike. Just curious, how does the carbon TCR frame compare to the aluminium. Someday I'd love to upgrade.
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 5200 is a great choice but I found I preferred the Klein Q-Carbon Pro.It has the same componants and wheels as the 5200 except it has an aluminum frame with carbon seat stays. For me the fit was better also I just plain perferred the ride. Little stiffer(I am 187lbs.) Got it for $200.00 less than the 5200. Can not go wrong either way
Quote Reply