Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hodges method for saddle height
Quote | Reply
How do the results of the Hodges method for establishing saddle height compare to the Lemond formula?
Quote Reply
Re: Hodges method for saddle height [flyebaby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nearly identical: As a matter of fact, the "LeMond Method", as depeicted in Greg LeMond and Kent Gordis' book "Greg LeMond's complete guide to Cycling" may actually be the Hodges method. Remember though, this does NOT compensate for pedal systems. That is a "manual" correction. Another excellent but hard to find resorce is Bernard Hinault's book on road racing- a real treasure. The fit information is excellent.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hodges method for saddle height [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Is the Hinault book called "Road Racing: Technique and Training"?

thx

russ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
remember, any formula is based on poplation generalizations and may or may not work for you. do you use 220-age to find your max heart rate? if so, then you might be comfortable with a bike fit formula. if you are any more precise, i would think that something as important as bike set-up would warrent a more precise effort in fit.

tommy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not familiar with Hodges' method for determining saddle height but I am familiar with Lemond (0.883 of inseam) and Hinault (0.885). I have a problem with the method of determining saddle height based on a percentage of inseam in general.

Aside from the fact that this method doesn't take in to account foot length and foot angle, it has a much more inherent problem, especially for riders with long or short inseams. Every saddle height that is produced by this sort of formula has a fixed 17cm added to it. Regardless whether it is 60cm or 90cm. That 17cm is the length of your cranks. It may be 17.5cm but realistically it is a fixed addition to the formula's result.

If you have an average length inseam, these methods may be quite close but if not... look out. We are working on a revision that takes crank length into account but even then it will be, at best, a starting point from which knee angle and ankle angle would be used to dial in the result.

Dan Rishworth
dan@endurosport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hodges method for saddle height [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Remember though, this does NOT compensate for pedal systems. That is a "manual" correction.
This is important I think. The Lemond chart is based on toeclips and suggests subtracting 3mm if you ride pedal systems "like Look". Well I ride Speedplay with Carnacs which (based on my measurements) seems to require subtracting an additional 1/2" (13mm) to get the effective seat height as my old Look system. Does this jib with the experience of experienced fitters?

Irony can be humorous, but it does not have to be.

"I've always said that an Ironman is a reflection of your character" - Kevin Moats
Quote Reply
Re: Hodges method for saddle height [RJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply